Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty said:

@donm said:

@Lefty said:
    Let's see live in Athens Ga. or in say Green Bay, Oakland, New York, Houston or Charlotte, to me it's a no brainer. I wouldn't touch the NFL with a 10 foot pole.

Lefty, Lefty. You mean if a huge contract was available to you that you wouldn't be tempted to grab that cash? Really? You could always do it until you got fired and then move back to Athens. As for Kirby, I think he loves it in Athens and would be content to stay here in the same way that Vince D. has.

I believe that I could live quite comfortably on 3.75 million a year in Athens, Ga. Probably not so much in San Fran. or New York. Everyone knows that he will get a huge raise after the season ( deservedly so ). I guess I subscribe to the theory that there is more to life than money.

Of course there is. No denying that. I'm thinking there is a challenge aspect to the NFL that makes it appealing and part of the appeal is a LOT of money. Wouldn't you even be tempted to give it some thought?

• Options

Well, then. The pay isn't all that great in the NFL compared to top college jobs. Maybe a bit better on average. So what would be the draw to the NFL? the challenge? Not having to recruit? Being at the "top" of one's profession? Might not be enough to lure someone away from a great job in Athens, especially since the pay is likely to go up close to some of the top pros in the near future. This is interesting info. Thanks.

• Options

and that doesn't count bonuses either for the college guys.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nick Saban gets like $11 million. Not sure where those numbers are from

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:
    Keep in mind who his mentor is. He still communicates with Saban. What would Saban's advice probably be? Well, CKS got to see it first hand... Hours are much longer and the pressure is much higher than in college.

He is a great motivator of young men, pros are so much different.

I hope he stays with us for as long as he wants if this is the effort he is able to perform with.

Not sure the hours are that much longer. Maybe, due to recruiting and how much time that takes in the college game. But I do recall stories of pro coaches sleeping in their offices and such. (Dick Vermeil for example). I think each coach's level of motivation will be the chief determinant of how much time he spends at the job. I think Kirby is a work-a-holic type.

I know Kirby works tirelessly. Ive just always seen the before and after a during seasons of pro coaches. It ages them about 10 years it seems.

• Options

@Acrum21 said:

Probably pre-endorsements/incentives.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

Saban doesn't make $11M every year.
    Saban was paid a salary of $245k, $6.75M "talent fee, and a one time $4M signing bonus in 2017. He will make just over $7M in 2018.

• Options
    MiddleDawgMiddleDawg Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:
    I wonder if NFL money is all that much better than top college coaches make.

Pete Carroll Seattle Seahawks $8,000,000
    Sean Payton New Orleans Saints $8,000,000
    Bill Belichick New England Patriots $7,500,000
    Andy Reid Kansas City Chiefs $7,500,000
    John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens $7,000,000
    Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers $7,000,000
    Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers $6,000,000
    Jason Garrett Dallas Cowboys $6,000,000
    Bruce Arians Arizona Cardinals $6,000,000
    Jay Gruden Washington Redskins $5,000,000
    Bill O’Brien Houston Texans $5,000,000
    Chuck Pagano Indianapolis Colts $4,500,000
    Dan Quinn Atlanta Falcons $4,500,000
    Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals $4,500,000
    John Fox Chicago Bears $4,250,000
    Mike Zimmer Minnesota Vikings $4,000,000
    Ron Rivera Carolina Panthers $4,000,000
    Todd Bowles New York Jets $4,000,000
    Jim Caldwell Detroit Lions $4,000,000
    Jack Del Rio Oakland Raiders $3,500,000

1. Jim HarbaughUniversity of Michigan Football – $9,004,000
    2. Nick SabanUniversity of Alabama Football – $6,939,395
    3. Urban MeyerOhio State University Football – $6,003,000
    4. Kirby Smart University of Georgia Football –$3,753,600

Not sure how many incentive$ the pro coaches get, but we've all read about Kirby's bonus plan that should get him close to $4.5-5M this year. He's earned it! And a raise on the way. I think he's home.

• Options

@MiddleDawg said:

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:
    I wonder if NFL money is all that much better than top college coaches make.

Pete Carroll Seattle Seahawks $8,000,000
    Sean Payton New Orleans Saints $8,000,000
    Bill Belichick New England Patriots $7,500,000
    Andy Reid Kansas City Chiefs $7,500,000
    John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens $7,000,000
    Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers $7,000,000
    Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers $6,000,000
    Jason Garrett Dallas Cowboys $6,000,000
    Bruce Arians Arizona Cardinals $6,000,000
    Jay Gruden Washington Redskins $5,000,000
    Bill O’Brien Houston Texans $5,000,000
    Chuck Pagano Indianapolis Colts $4,500,000
    Dan Quinn Atlanta Falcons $4,500,000
    Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals $4,500,000
    John Fox Chicago Bears $4,250,000
    Mike Zimmer Minnesota Vikings $4,000,000
    Ron Rivera Carolina Panthers $4,000,000
    Todd Bowles New York Jets $4,000,000
    Jim Caldwell Detroit Lions $4,000,000
    Jack Del Rio Oakland Raiders $3,500,000

1. Jim HarbaughUniversity of Michigan Football – $9,004,000
    2. Nick SabanUniversity of Alabama Football – $6,939,395
    3. Urban MeyerOhio State University Football – $6,003,000
    4. Kirby Smart University of Georgia Football –$3,753,600

Not sure how many incentive$ the pro coaches get, but we've all read about Kirby's bonus plan that should get him close to $4.5-5M this year. He's earned it! And a raise on the way. I think he's home.

Captain Khakis however... probably on the hot seat if he doesn’t produce/beat O$U this year.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is on track to run GA. Kirby and his family are literally sitting on the golden egg that the NFL cannot replicate. Somethings money can’t buy

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty said:

@donm said:

@Lefty said:
    Let's see live in Athens Ga. or in say Green Bay, Oakland, New York, Houston or Charlotte, to me it's a no brainer. I wouldn't touch the NFL with a 10 foot pole.

Lefty, Lefty. You mean if a huge contract was available to you that you wouldn't be tempted to grab that cash? Really? You could always do it until you got fired and then move back to Athens. As for Kirby, I think he loves it in Athens and would be content to stay here in the same way that Vince D. has.

I believe that I could live quite comfortably on 3.75 million a year in Athens, Ga. Probably not so much in San Fran. or New York. Everyone knows that he will get a huge raise after the season ( deservedly so ). I guess I subscribe to the theory that there is more to life than money.

And let's not forget healthy (deserved) bonuses for winning the East, winning the SEC and making the play-off.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

@Lefty said:

@donm said:

@Lefty said:

And let's not forget healthy (deserved) bonuses for winning the East, winning the SEC and making the play-off.

“Healthy” is one way to describe his bonus structure. Win the ship and give him the state I say.

• Options
    TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

College Coaches have to work much harder than the Pro's off the field. Not even close. Some enjoy working off the field, some do not. Right now Kirby loves it, but I can see how it would get old.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    I think his style (ENTHUSIASM!!!), love of teaching football skills and his love of UGA keeps him in Athens till he decides to retire. I sure hope I am right!

THIS is what I THINK keeps him in Athens for as long as he wants. When his contract is extended he's probably gonna almost DOUBLE what he's making now (which isn't pocket change.) Being a college "lifer" isn't necessarily a bad thing; especially if your in the position you've dreamed of since your coaching career began! He seems to always wanna be better at EVERYTHING than he was the previous day.. The proof is in our recruiting and the product we're putting on the field week to week. His mentality has trickled down to players AND assistants.. He seems to never be satisfied! We just won the SEC, and while he celebrates it for a lil bit, the ONLY thing he's thinking now is preparation for OU, and recruiting as hard as possible. WHEN we win it all he's gonna celebrate it like anyone would. Then he EXPECTS us to ALWAYS be as relevant as Bama. Why be satisfied with one natty? I think he wants to build a dynasty period. If he does that, why WOULD he give up his dream job to try to do something that Saban couldn't get done?? JMO, but I doubt any amount of $ can get him to leave BECAUSE he's one of the few millionaire coaches that realizes "I've already made enough to retire NOW if I want, and my kids; and future grand kids are already set for life." The bottom line is he's HOME and probably happier than any of us by putting UGA on the juggernaut level... A Georgia boy that knows how much we (the fanatics) love and support our DAWGS through the good and bad knows he'd be the most popular and beloved guy in the history of the program AND statewide..

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin captain khakis has been on the hot seat since the Michigan st. game. He has to produce next year against all major rivals to stay. His gimmicks are wearing thin on the school and alumni due to results. The smartest thing he could do would be stay at Michigan for spring ball.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TARDAWG said:
    College Coaches have to work much harder than the Pro's off the field. Not even close. Some enjoy working off the field, some do not. Right now Kirby loves it, but I can see how it would get old.

We saw it with CMR. Great guy, good recruiter, solid role model for kids etc.. But when it all started about "he can't win the big one, or even get us there," CMR didn't seem to change anything really. It seemed like he was at times going through the motions, and it costed him his job. Now CMR looks like a different guy on the sideline. He's more involved in the game, and even went back to calling plays. I could be wrong but a Georgia boy that's ALWAYS loved the DAWGS, and now has the job he's always dreamed of; I just don't see a scenario that'd pull him away from Athens. By winning a Natty here, he'd have the key to Georgia! Imagine if he win's MULTIPLE NC's! He seems to be a perfectionist like the guy at Bama lol. He's seen how the pro game works, and I HIGHLY doubt KS ever gives UGA anything less than 1000%.

• Options

Pro coaches work only about 5 months of the year. The rest of the time it sounds pretty chill. Some work but not to the degree of a college coach. Those 5 months are probably more stressful than a college coach have during a season. Since pro coaches don’t have the same control a college coach has on his team. Also it’s a whole lot easier to get rid of a pro coach than a college coach.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    @bmauldin captain khakis has been on the hot seat since the Michigan st. game. He has to produce next year against all major rivals to stay. His gimmicks are wearing thin on the school and alumni due to results. The smartest thing he could do would be stay at Michigan for spring ball.

Yep. They ran Hoke out for “underperforming”. Yet he had a better record against rivals and overall than cap’n Khakis.

• Options

@bmauldin said:

@dbrown7494 said:

Yep. They ran Hoke out for “underperforming”. Yet he had a better record against rivals and overall than cap’n Khakis.

If we are being truly honest here, he was probably on the hot seat from the first game. He just got lucky he played a piss poor Florida team. Also piss poor is being very nice to how bad they were