Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Time for a New Basketball Coach

2»

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:
    I know Mc Garity doesn’t want to pay for a basketball coach, but Ron Hunter from Ga State is a good one.
    Probably get a good deal and with our facilities he should be able to pull top talent.

I know we have some good ones committed, but can Fox coach them up?...

I wouldn't go after a 53 year old Ron Hunter. If he was going to be THE GUY he'd have gotten there already.
    I want to swing for the fences, not just be marginally better.

Agree. He had success when he had his son and the transfer from UK. Since then, not much. Don't think he's the one to lead us from the doldrums. A lot depends upon how much McGarity is willing to shell out. Given the lack of success of the program and the rebuild that would be necessary, I think he'll settle for some bright, young mid-major coach and go that route. Not saying it's what I would like the most, but what I think is most likely.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:
    I know Mc Garity doesn’t want to pay for a basketball coach, but Ron Hunter from Ga State is a good one.
    Probably get a good deal and with our facilities he should be able to pull top talent.

I know we have some good ones committed, but can Fox coach them up?...

I wouldn't go after a 53 year old Ron Hunter. If he was going to be THE GUY he'd have gotten there already.
    I want to swing for the fences, not just be marginally better.

Agree. He had success when he had his son and the transfer from UK. Since then, not much. Don't think he's the one to lead us from the doldrums. A lot depends upon how much McGarity is willing to shell out. Given the lack of success of the program and the rebuild that would be necessary, I think he'll settle for some bright, young mid-major coach and go that route. Not saying it's what I would like the most, but what I think is most likely.

History shows it's not really settling to go after a young mid-major, it's just a matter of hiring the right one. I don't see a huge rebuild considering the roster has good talent and basketball programs with a solid core can be transformed with a couple of elite players.
    We've quietly made our facilities very appealing as well. Stegeman isn't big, but it's cool now.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate