Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia Basketball

brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited July 2023 in Basketball

I’ve been a fan of Georgia basketball since the Fox era began. This is pitiful to watch and I know the school is focused on football so I assume the school could care less if the basketball team wins or loses. I’m not asking for a national-championship contending basketball team, but it would be nice to make the tournament more than 2 times in a 9 year span. I think it’s time for a coaching change, but I’m sure the AD will choose the lowest-costing replacement he can find. What’s yalls opinion on the program?

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@brentwilson said:
    I’ve been a fan of Georgia basketball since the Fox era began. This is pitiful to watch and I know the school is focused on football so I assume the school could care less if the basketball team wins or loses. I’m not asking for a national-championship contending basketball team, but it would be nice to make the tournament more than 2 times in a 9 year span. I think it’s time for a coaching change, but I’m sure the AD will choose the lowest-costing replacement he can find. What’s yalls opinion on the program?

It needs to win more - a LOT more.

• Options

@donm said:

@brentwilson said:

It needs to win more - a LOT more.

agree

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am desperate for a successful BB program. There needs to be more done than just a coaching change or else we will just continue this cycle. Facilities still s uck, although we did get a new scoreboard. Overall funding s ucks. Promotion of the program is a joke. Recruiting is horrible. We are a steppingstone program for any successful coach. Until these issues and more change, just replacing Fox won’t matter much in the long run.

• Options

@greshamdisco said:
    I am desperate for a successful BB program. There needs to be more done than just a coaching change or else we will just continue this cycle. Facilities still s uck, although we did get a new scoreboard. Overall funding s ucks. Promotion of the program is a joke. Recruiting is horrible. We are a steppingstone program for any successful coach. Until these issues and more change, just replacing Fox won’t matter much in the long run.

you’re completely right and another think to look at is the majority of Auburn’s players are from the state of Georgia, and they are ranked the #8 team in the nation. How easy it would’ve been for them to come to UGA.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:

@greshamdisco said:

you’re completely right and another think to look at is the majority of Auburn’s players are from the state of Georgia, and they are ranked the #8 team in the nation. How easy it would’ve been for them to come to UGA.

Yes, but... Auburn was caught up in a scandal involving paying players... sooooo....

• Options

@bmauldin said:

@brentwilson said:

@greshamdisco said:

Yes, but... Auburn was caught up in a scandal involving paying players... sooooo....

and the shoe has yet to drop on AU and Pearl. I think some of those kids might be ones that Fox has avoided due to avoiding NCAA difficulties. Who knows. All I know is we should be doing a LOT better.

• Options
    legaldawglegaldawg Posts: 8 ✭✭ Sophomore

Posted this a little earlier elsewhere on the Forum:
    Basketball at UGA has never been a priority, and it never will be. It doesn’t matter who the coach is.
    If a UGA basketball coach has any success, either: (1) we are cheating (Harrick);
    (2) the coach quickly gets snatched by a “basketball school” (Tubby); or,
    (3) it is short-lived and can’t be sustained (Durham)

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@legaldawg said:
    Basketball at UGA has never been a priority, and it never will be. It doesn’t matter who the coach is.
    If a UGA basketball coach has any success, either: (1) we are cheating (Harrick);

Then why is Georgia along with Alabama and Auburn is the only SEC school this past decade who doesn't have at least ONE NCAA tournament win? and this could change because Auburn only has 3 losses at this point of the season. Alabama is a football state anyway, so this makes Georgia look like the worst basketball team in the SEC the past 10 seasons. Look how far South Carolina went last season. There's no excuses. CMF has lost control of the team. Whatever this #1 basketball recruiting class is we claim to have he'll absolutely waste the talent. 2008 was like our last good year I believe and even that year we were still one and done by Xavier after all of that. 2002 was our last NCAA Tournament win, which is sad.

• Options

@mqg96 said:

@legaldawg said:

Then why is Georgia along with Alabama and Auburn is the only SEC school this past decade who doesn't have at least ONE NCAA tournament win? and this could change because Auburn only has 3 losses at this point of the season. Alabama is a football state anyway, so this makes Georgia look like the worst basketball team in the SEC the past 10 seasons. Look how far South Carolina went last season. There's no excuses. CMF has lost control of the team. Whatever this #1 basketball recruiting class is we claim to have he'll absolutely waste the talent. 2008 was like our last good year I believe and even that year we were still one and done by Xavier after all of that. 2002 was our last NCAA Tournament win, which is sad.

What, exactly, do you mean by “lost control of the team”?

• Options
    UGAgolferUGAgolfer Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

What, are you joking?! Only someone who has never played sports would not see Fox has lost this team. There is no confidence by ANY of the players...ZERO. Fox is an idiot and needs to be fired NOW. An assistant could take this team to at least a winning season, but instead do-nothing McGarity will wait until we are out of even an NIT bid. I've been following UGA hoops since 1972. This is the biggest waste of money and talent I have ever seen. To the idiots who think Fox has been successful, how come you can't see all the other SEC programs hired good coaches and are now kicking our butts virtually every game? The man belongs coaching high school, not NCAA. There are no more excuses!!!!!!! Basketball is now LAST in the SEC after the loss to Vandy. LAST!!!!

Speaking of McGarity, read Chip Towers' story on how Kirby got hired. McGarity didn't hire Kirby, he was TOLD to hire Kirby or else. McGarity has not done a good job hiring coaches. He has one last chance with finding a replacement for Fox (which should be EASY if he places any effort into it). Otherwise, McGarity also needs to be replaced.

• Options

@UGAgolfer said:
    What, are you joking?! Only someone who has never played sports would not see Fox has lost this team. There is no confidence by ANY of the players...ZERO. Fox is an idiot and needs to be fired NOW. An assistant could take this team to at least a winning season, but instead do-nothing McGarity will wait until we are out of even an NIT bid. I've been following UGA hoops since 1972. This is the biggest waste of money and talent I have ever seen. To the idiots who think Fox has been successful, how come you can't see all the other SEC programs hired good coaches and are now kicking our butts virtually every game? The man belongs coaching high school, not NCAA. There are no more excuses!!!!!!! Basketball is now LAST in the SEC after the loss to Vandy. LAST!!!!

Speaking of McGarity, read Chip Towers' story on how Kirby got hired. McGarity didn't hire Kirby, he was TOLD to hire Kirby or else. McGarity has not done a good job hiring coaches. He has one last chance with finding a replacement for Fox (which should be EASY if he places any effort into it). Otherwise, McGarity also needs to be replaced.

So. "lost the team" means the players have lost confidence? I can see that you have lost confidence in the coach/team, but I am not certain ALL of the players have. I have played sports and I don't think he's an idiot at all. He's had a little success over the years - a little. I'm all for a change, AFTER the season. Makes no sense to me to change with a few games left.

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

@mqg96 said:

@legaldawg said:

I was being sarcastic mocking CMR since that catch phrase sounds similar to CMF.

But seriously, Georgia hasn't won a NCAA Tournament game since 2002 and hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 1996! That's the longest drought out of any SEC school. That's pathetic and sad, while Mark Fox keeps wasting talent. No excuses for why programs like Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Arkansas can still be exceptionally better in basketball than us the last several years. SOUTH CAROLINA for col made it to the Final 4 last season. So there's no excuses for why Georgia has been this mediocre the last several years. The only basketball programs who have been close to as bad as us are Alabama and Auburn (who are football states btw who have a combined 6 national titles since 2009 and 8 appearances since 2009 as well), yet, I believe Alabama has had a better win loss percentage than Georgia in basketball and look at the type of season Auburn is having right now. Georgia's basketball program is the football Vanderbilt of basketball the past 15 seasons!

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2018

@donm said:

@mqg96 said:

@legaldawg said:

Appreciate your question. I'm terribly disappointed in the athletics success at Georgia and express my opinion. However, I make every attempt to avoid derogatory comments that have no point in fact. The commentators in the GA. Aub game specifically talked about the problems with the Dawgs. They defended Fox and said Georgia's problems were NOT x & o but the poor shooting of the players. This is obvious if you watch. Apparently Fox is a good coach and players like him. I think his record is reason for dismissal and McGarity should follow him out.

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

College basketball is so messed up now it’s not even fun to watch anymore! I really wished the NBA would change their age limit before they can join the league. The one and done has ruined college basketball.. I just hope the NFL doesn’t ever allow this to happen!

• Options

Not to just bash the NCAA, but... let’s bash the NCAA since they s uck and deserve every bit of it. When programs like Auburn and UNC get caught cheating and get a pass while others are doing it the right way and getting the crap beat out of them, it begs the question: what’s the point in doing it the right way? I want to win, but I want to win the right way. But you can’t have shoe money, agents, fake classes all being exposed at certain “untouchable schools” without any accountability. It’s an unfair league.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sweeping Florida this year felt good. Everything else, not so much.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This year basketball team is as bipolar and Richt’s last years teams at Georgia were.

• Options

It really has been a weird year. We play horribly for a while then we beat a tournament team. We have definitely had some big wins this year, and the SEC is a lot tougher than it has been in years. While I don’t think firing Fox will change much, keeping him certainly won’t change things for the better either. What’s to lose?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know we have been talking coaching change and been talking about mediocre team. I think Georgia has another plan. After reading this yahoo article. It might lead to the reason why fox is still coach and going to be at Georgia for the next couple years. Also we might be thankful that Fox is our coach after reading this article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-college-hoops-corruption-case-poised-take-hall-fame-coaches-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html