Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What If Nick Saban Was The Coach At Georgia The Past 10 Years?

Wayxdawg4everWayxdawg4ever Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore
edited February 2018 in General

If you want to have some real fun at an Alabama fans expense... remember this thread.

My definition of a Dominant Head Coach is one who understands and excels at every aspect of coaching and promoting the program. He is a mentor to other coaches. His success produces successors, meaning his many assistants become well known coaches in their own right. If this is the definition it can certainly be argued...the state of Georgia has never had a Dominant Head Coach. I make this point because I recently had a conversation with a very close friend who is a HUGE Alabama supporter. When I raised the question, “How many Champioships would Nick Saban have
if he was the coach at Georgia for the past 10 years” it was met with absolute denial. It was like hitting somebody in the face who refuses to acknowledge how bad it hurt despite the painful grimace. I argued if he could win 5 in 9 years at Alabama and 1 at LSU, he would definitely have more if he were at Georgia because Alabama nor LSU are Dominant States when it comes to producing talent. I further showed him that the State of Georgia is so dominant we produced more talent over a 5 year period than Alabama and Louisiana...COMBINED!!! There’s so much more to this exchange but I concluded with this. “Alabama’s days are numbered because you have won many if not all of your championships because of the lack of a dominant program in state Georgia (a serious sucker punch). Alabama is Kentucky not Texas. Kentucky is known for winning BBall championships, but Texas is known for producing the most talent. Georgia is Texas and the only thing we ever needed was a Dominant Coach to begin the process of winning multiple championships.” What are your thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure he would have won more at UGA than he did at Bama, but he certainly should have won 2 or 3. Georgia does have a natural advantage in recruiting, but not quite the same history as Alabama. Interesting to think about though.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I get the chart, but what are the #'s for each state?

• Options

@AgDawg said:
    Not sure he would have won more at UGA than he did at Bama, but he certainly should have won 2 or 3. Georgia does have a natural advantage in recruiting, but not quite the same history as Alabama. Interesting to think about though.

If history is the criterion for success, why did they only win 1 with Gene Stallings? He was true successor to Bear Bryant. Alabama has benefited from having the two most successful coaches of our time. I don’t see it as being something mystical.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally different landscape when Stallings was there. Spurrier had just started changing the SEC, if not all of cfb. Conference realignment hadnt really yet started so you still had Nebraska as a major player under Tom Osborne. Bowden was at FSU in a VERY weak ACC. Almost comparing different sports.

History does matter. Saban had an easier time getting established because he was at Alabama.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%. I also have a best friend who is a lifetime Bama fan and they do indeed get squirmy at this thought because they know its true. Championships are won by great coaches who are great recruiters. UGA has a great coach who is an elite recruiter and has no in state recruiting rivals. The program is also finally starting to open up the wallet as well so I don't see the momentum slowing down for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why would any Alabama fan be intimidated by a hypothetical system of what would have happened in a fairy tale land if we would have had their coach? While a number of their claimed national championships are not legitimate, Saban has a bunch of real trophies at Alabama, not make believe trophies at Georgia.

What an Alabama fan should be intimidated by is that Georgia now has Kirby who has UGA recruiting rolling and that Alabama recruited slipped this year in their first full year without Kirby.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:
    Why would any Alabama fan be intimidated by a hypothetical system of what would have happened in a fairy tale land if we would have had their coach? While a number of their claimed national championships are not legitimate, Saban has a bunch of real trophies at Alabama, not make believe trophies at Georgia.

What an Alabama fan should be intimidated by is that Georgia now has Kirby who has UGA recruiting rolling and that Alabama recruited slipped this year in their first full year without Kirby.

The point I think the OP is trying to make is that Georgia is a much more fertile recruiting ground than Alabama, and we now have a Saban-like recruiter at UGA who is keeping everyone home. And that Bama fans don't want to admit it, but are getting nervous about the talent Kirby has available. In summation, UGA has never had a dominant head coach (that's where the "what ifs" about Saban came in, just for comparison), but once they do they will be a force to be reckoned with. Also, not in the OP's statement, but they should be getting worried about Saban's age too.

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know that he would more NC's at Georgia, but I do agree with whatever coach could come into UGA and put a wall up around Georgia recruits keeping them home would be extremely successful thought.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Totally different landscape when Stallings was there. Spurrier had just started changing the SEC, if not all of cfb. Conference realignment hadnt really yet started so you still had Nebraska as a major player under Tom Osborne. Bowden was at FSU in a VERY weak ACC. Almost comparing different sports.

History does matter. Saban had an easier time getting established because he was at Alabama.

Stallings' 1992 Natty was the first year of conference alignment.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

The point I think the OP is trying to make is that Georgia is a much more fertile recruiting ground than Alabama, and we now have a Saban-like recruiter at UGA who is keeping everyone home. And that Bama fans don't want to admit it, but are getting nervous about the talent Kirby has available. In summation, UGA has never had a dominant head coach (that's where the "what ifs" about Saban came in, just for comparison), but once they do they will be a force to be reckoned with. Also, not in the OP's statement, but they should be getting worried about Saban's age too.

CORRECT!!! The Alabama fans I know are fervent believers that it is their homegrown “ATHLETES” or the “ALABAMA MYSTIC” that are the key ingredients to the success they are having. The question I raised was to compare states where Saban has won NC to a state which has more recruiting talent than both of them combined. They refuse to believe the talent in Georgia is greater to that IN Alabama. However, they are about to experience their worst nightmare. If Kirby lands another Top 5 class they will realize, this is not your Granddaddy’s Georgia Bulldogs.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Wayxdawg4ever said:

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

CORRECT!!! The Alabama fans I know are fervent believers that it is their homegrown “ATHLETES” or the “ALABAMA MYSTIC” that are the key ingredients to the success they are having. The question I raised was to compare states where Saban has won NC to a state which has more recruiting talent than both of them combined. They refuse to believe the talent in Georgia is greater to that IN Alabama. However, they are about to experience their worst nightmare. If Kirby lands another Top 5 class they will realize, this is not your Granddaddy’s Georgia Bulldogs.

Another top 5 class? C'mon. He'll do better than that, don't you guess?

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Wayxdawg4ever I don't think its a question of IF kirby lands a top 5 class because I think he could do that with one arm behind his back. Heck, the conversation now is can kirby bring in back to back #1 classes

• Options

@UnderDog68 said:

@Bankwalker said:

Stallings' 1992 Natty was the first year of conference alignment.

Exactly. Also the same year FSU joined the ACC in football. Nothing else was happening in the college landscape yet. Conferences look nothing like they do today. In 1992 we had conferences in football named The Big 8, Southwest Conference, Big East, Pac 10, and Western Athletic Conference.

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talking about the difference in talent between Alabama in Georgia. Alabama has 2 commitments in the 18' class from Alabama. Zero from Georgia (Kirby locked the state down). 4 from the state of Florida. Even got 2 out of South Carolina. Alabama has the same number of recruits from South Carolina that he does Alabama.

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In comparison Georgia signed 14 of their 26 players from the state of Georgia.

• Options
    edited February 2018

@donm said:

I agree; however, #'s could be an issue. We will lose 15 scholarship SRs after next season, as of right now, iirc.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Wayxdawg4ever said:

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

Um, there is no IF...the dye has been cast and UGA is going to be a recruiting nightmare for it's rivals. I said this before, but fans and coaches of UGA's rivals are in denial...they're afraid. It's in Daniel's false bravado, it's in Alabama fans and their "mystique" lol. The death star is being built, only in this case the rebels can do nothing about it!

• Options

@donm said:

@Wayxdawg4ever said:

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

Yes. I absolutely think he will do better than Top 5!! Nick Sabans only hope to keep pace will be a weakened LSU program.

• Options
    dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to be a sour ****, but UGA's tight ass administration will never hire a coach like Saban. They are to cheap to come off the hip to pay that kind of money to a coach. That is the reason they hired Kirby now instead of letting him get the experience and then costing them big money later. Now they can control it a little bit, but others will come calling it they try to keep him for cheap.