Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves 2018 starting pitching...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The mention in the infield thread of having a #2 and #3 starter spurred me to discuss what we really know or at least can have some level of confidence in as we approach opening day.
We don't have any 200 inning sub 4.00 era guys, that is the most glaring fact to me.
Julio is the closest, he's coming off 188 innings and a 4.49 era. That is 3rd or 4th starter material on a good staff.
Then there's Brandon McCarthy who is 34 years old and has pitched just 132innings over the past 2 seasons.

The young guys we're depending on..
Folty - 26 years old, 154 innings, 4.79 era.
Newcomb - 24 years old, 100 innings 4.32 era

Then we have the hopefuls..
Fried - 24
Blair - 25
Sims - 23
Last but not least, Gohlar.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, I can't seem to edit an OP.
    I meant
    Gohara - 21 years old
    Soroka - 20 years old

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m looking for Teheran to have a bounce back year. He has a career 3.59 ERA and has thrown over 200 innings twice and never less than 185. Also, he was absolutely destroyed at home last year posting a 5.86 era vs 3.14 on the road. If he figures out how to pitch in Sun Trust, he’ll be back to his career average numbers.

@BoroDawg said:
    I’m looking for Teheran to have a bounce back year. He has a career 3.59 ERA and has thrown over 200 innings twice and never less than 185. Also, he was absolutely destroyed at home last year posting a 5.86 era vs 3.14 on the road. If he figures out how to pitch in Sun Trust, he’ll be back to his career average numbers.

I'm thinking management should take stock around June and if it's clear the team won't mature by next season, shop Julio if his stock is up.
    If you're not developing to have your best players at or near their peaks when the team is ready to compete, what is the point ?
    If Julio will be at least 29 or 30 before we have a legitimate shot at the post season, then it would be time to see what developing talent we can get for him.

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

I'm thinking management should take stock around June and if it's clear the team won't mature by next season, shop Julio if his stock is up.
    If you're not developing to have your best players at or near their peaks when the team is ready to compete, what is the point ?
    If Julio will be at least 29 or 30 before we have a legitimate shot at the post season, then it would be time to see what developing talent we can get for him.

They should have traded him 2 years ago when his stock was highest and we were slap dab in the middle of the rebuild IMO. They could have gotten multiple top 100 prospects the year after he posted a 2.89, but hindsight is 20/20

@BoroDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

They should have traded him 2 years ago when his stock was highest and we were slap dab in the middle of the rebuild IMO. They could have gotten multiple top 100 prospects the year after he posted a 2.89, but hindsight is 20/20

I agree 100%. We can only live forward though. Going forward if it seems we're still 2 or more years from having a real shot at competing for titles AND Julio has good market value, it would seem smart to entertain offers.
    Say we're offered a top prospect at catcher and a promising young pitcher, I'd strongly consider pulling the trigger.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thing about Julio is he is so loyal. He’s all Brave. More difficult to let go of a guy like that.

I would do it in a heartbeat. We need everything to be perfect this year just to have a shot at the WC. I’m hoping that Julio has a strong first half and we can parlay that into a deadline deal for multiple NEAR MLB READY players. No more project arms or lower minors talent, our window is getting closer.

This is the year that makes or breaks the rebuild IMO. Our talent is almost or already here. Swanson has to put up or shut up this year. Albies is already here and performing. Acuna looks like a budding superstar. Riley should be up right after the break with a good first half. Gohara looks like he could be a centerpiece of our rotation. Saroka and Allard look like legit front of the rotation arms and Wright has been impressive. We need the young talent to perform and pray that Liberty actually spends this offseason during the greatest free agent crop ever with all of our payroll coming off of the books. I’m excited to see what plays out.

• ChaseAtlAzChaseAtlAz Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophomore

From the look of Spring Training thus far, it appears our starting pitchers are doing well (for the most part) in these 2-3 inning starts. That doesn't mean they can hang on thru innings 4-6/7. So, my guess is the success of this team is going to rely on relief pitching. Offense is producing early in games, when starters are still in, so I think we will score runs. Can the relievers hold onto these leads? If so, we win 80+ games, but still likely miss playoffs.

If that happens, then I think LM opens the wallet next offseason.

@ChaseAtlAz said:
    From the look of Spring Training thus far, it appears our starting pitchers are doing well (for the most part) in these 2-3 inning starts. That doesn't mean they can hang on thru innings 4-6/7. So, my guess is the success of this team is going to rely on relief pitching. Offense is producing early in games, when starters are still in, so I think we will score runs. Can the relievers hold onto these leads? If so, we win 80+ games, but still likely miss playoffs.

If that happens, then I think LM opens the wallet next offseason.

In my opinion non-pitching talent is ahead of starting pitching, which is not where we expected to be 2 years ago.
    If we can hit with some power I expect we'll have a very good lineup by 2019.
    You'd have to go back to McCann's rookie season to find close to this level of promising young regulars.

@BoroDawg said:
    This is the year that makes or breaks the rebuild IMO. Our talent is almost or already here. Swanson has to put up or shut up this year. Albies is already here and performing. Acuna looks like a budding superstar. Riley should be up right after the break with a good first half. Gohara looks like he could be a centerpiece of our rotation. Saroka and Allard look like legit front of the rotation arms and Wright has been impressive. We need the young talent to perform and pray that Liberty actually spends this offseason during the greatest free agent crop ever with all of our payroll coming off of the books. I’m excited to see what plays out.

Liberty's con games are remarkably dishonest and clever.
    They don't have the slightest bit of interest in The Braves other than what they can reap in profit from them.

To start with tax savings literally made the team not only free, but made them a cash bonus from day one.
    They've been playing with house money all along.

The entire Cobb deal was for the ultra premium land along I-285 and I-75. The big lie was they would use the development to capitalize The Braves and to build a payroll to compete....HUGE LIE.

As soon as the stadium was being built they created a separate company with all of the surrounding development becoming a stand alone operation, not a dime will go to The Braves.

That leaves The Stadium and it's direct commercial interest stuck right smack in the middle of a mixed development that will be sold by Liberty at some point. The Braves will be leveraged by whoever buys the property, at their mercy really.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’re like Paul Harvey
    “And now, for the rest of the story.”

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Rick Mahler not on the roster anymore?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Could Kent Merker finally get his shot?!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves should be much better this season, no reason not to be improved. Young players are talented and hopefully hungry to prove themselves.