Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves under Bobby Cox (and front office) were a perennial championship contender. A few good breaks would have resulted in multiple championships.

Since then they have become mediocre at best. Moves like bringing in B J Upton and letting Andrelton Simmons get away are examples of the blunders that have caused the team’s demise.

Hopefully, they can learn from their mistakes and get back to contention.

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mediocre is a interesting word to use referring to the braves. The word I would use slips my mind, but is similar to what I spread on my garden.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    It also helped that Turner had deep pockets and we had 3 hall of fame pitchers during much of that.

The downturn started with Liberty Media. We need ownership that cares about the product and not just the bottom line. Will always be a fan but I miss being excited about the braves.

Totally agree and miss those days.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

probably not the right thread but: I don't care for baseball at all but plan on spending the week in Atlanta for my son's spring break (he is 8) and he enjoys the Fireflies games so thinking a Braves game should be on the list

they have 2-night games and a noon game the week we will be there

any suggestions on night vs afternoon? the best value for where to sit? any other good to know info?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    It also helped that Turner had deep pockets and we had 3 hall of fame pitchers during much of that.

The downturn started with Liberty Media. We need ownership that cares about the product and not just the bottom line. Will always be a fan but I miss being excited about the braves.

Getting 200 plus HOF level innings each from Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz year,after year after year was what separated The Braves from most teams in history.
    Glavine was 41 years old before he went on the DL for the first time in his career and Maddux spent a grand total of 15 days on the DL in his 23 year career. That is almost impossible to conceive.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:
    probably not the right thread but: I don't care for baseball at all but plan on spending the week in Atlanta for my son's spring break (he is 8) and he enjoys the Fireflies games so thinking a Braves game should be on the list

any suggestions on night vs afternoon? the best value for where to sit? any other good to know info?

I miss lightnin bugs

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@tfk_fanboy said:

Don’t sit in left field (hot as h-e-l-l if the sun is out). I’d go during the day bc an 8 year old May fade as the day goes on

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

I miss lightnin bugs

Day in the spring, night in the summer.

• Options
    ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@AndersonDawg said:
    The Braves under Bobby Cox (and front office) were a perennial championship contender. A few good breaks would have resulted in multiple championships.

Since then they have become mediocre at best. Moves like bringing in B J Upton and letting Andrelton Simmons get away are examples of the blunders that have caused the team’s demise.

A few good breaks? Maybe if Bobby knew when to pull a pitcher

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@ugadawgs07 said:

@AndersonDawg said:

A few good breaks? Maybe if Bobby knew when to pull a pitcher

Well...when you insist on a third catcher you gotta leave some guys out there longer

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we are about to see a very talented team in the next couple years. Some of these young guys are about to be ready and it’s going to be something to watch

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we are about to see a very talented team in the next couple years. Some of these young guys are about to be ready and it’s going to be something to watch

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This year bout to say