Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Fox WILL be fired

brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We now know for sure that Mark is going to be handed the pink slip. But now we have to wait patiently to see McGarity will hire next. It would be awesome to see us hire a guy like Tom Crean or Thad Matta. Maybe even Rick Pitino lol. But to be realistic we all know McGarity will hire the cheapest coach on the board.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    We now know for sure that Mark is going to be handed the pink slip. But now we have to wait patiently to see McGarity will hire next. It would be awesome to see us hire a guy like Tom Crean or Thad Matta. Maybe even Rick Pitino lol. But to be realistic we all know McGarity will hire the cheapest coach on the board.

I don't think McGarity will go cheap just to save salary. I do think it's more likely wewon't attract an elite proven HC who isn't toxic though.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA can’t fire Fox soon enough. Mediocre coach who always gets out coached. UGA needs to spend the money and get Crean or Matta.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Penny doesn’t go with Memphis, I think they should take a look at him. Still young, knows the game and Ga would be a great place for him to start.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    If Penny doesn’t go with Memphis, I think they should take a look at him. Still young, knows the game and Ga would be a great place for him to start.

A great place to start....learning?

• Options

Sure he would be learning but every coach has to start somewhere. Couldn’t get much worse than Fox. I guess it all depends on how much coin they want to spend.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The improved perception of SEC basketball might help us get the attention of head coach candidates who would not of been interested previously. With the improvements made to Stegman last year, we might get a Thad Motta type coach if decision is made to spend the necessary money. Although Georgia has always produced lots of high school basketball talent, none of the past UGA coaches have been able to keep that talent in-state for college. Whoever our next HC is, I hope he will be able to recruit better than we have in the past.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fox left the program in a better place than where it was 9 years ago. The improvements to basketball facilities and his ability with PR has put the program in a better place. Tell me a coach who has ever painted up with Spike Squad for football games at any school.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2018

@orlando said:

Penny shouldn’t be anywhere on UGA’s radar. Hasn’t coached a college game. He’s a HS HC. UGA can do better than that.

• Options

I know Hardaway is not on the radar at UGA, nor should he be at this time. I do think he’ll get a college coaching job in the near future. We all hope McGarity loosens the purse strings and hires the best man money can buy.