Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Reaching out to Crean?

TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is it just me or am I over rating GA basketball program? I feel the phones should be blowing up from coaches wanting the job. Also, if the program is not what I think then they should be hush hush about it until the contract is signed.

Comments

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lawd Help Us!!!!

I have not heard anything good about Crean, only from former co-workers (Vitale-cough)

I'm starting to think the issue is McGarity and the people behind him.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

Likewise...I too have been hearing negative things about Crean and his ability to actually coach. From a very reliable source from deep within the basketball confines of greatness the statement was “Buyer Be Aware”! Hopefully Greg and crew do their due diligence on this guy. Something isn’t right for my resource to say something bad. #nervousaboutcrean

• andycappsandycapps Posts: 292 ✭✭✭ Junior

UConn and Pitt are also looking for coaches so we're not the biggest person on the block here.

We're in a good location for recruiting but have a mediocre history in the sport. Will be important to not be turned down publicly again.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TDawg said:
    Is it just me or am I over rating GA basketball program? I feel the phones should be blowing up from coaches wanting the job. Also, if the program is not what I think then they should be hush hush about it until the contract is signed.

Yes, you are overrating the basketball program.

We are NOT a destination basketball job like we are in football. UGA's job in basketball is akin to Mississippi State's in football. It's an okay job... but if someone young comes in and has success they'll leave for greener pastures QUICK.

Our best bet is a coach who's been successful and is older (at least 50... maybe even 60+). The hope is that they're looking for a "job to retire at"... that way if they're successful they might stay a while. A younger coach with success will go to a better job.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TDawg said:

We lack both tradition and fan interest at this point.
    A coach with lots of options would probably look to the easier schools to win at.
    Kirby loves Georgia, but would he have taken the job if not for the inherent advantages ?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@DawginSC said:

@TDawg said:

We are NOT a destination basketball job like we are in football. UGA's job in basketball is akin to Mississippi State's in football. It's an okay job... but if someone young comes in and has success they'll leave for greener pastures QUICK.

Our best bet is a coach who's been successful and is older (at least 50... maybe even 60+). The hope is that they're looking for a "job to retire at"... that way if they're successful they might stay a while. A younger coach with success will go to a better job.

I'm not sure a young coach would be eager to leave if he was winning at UGA and drawing some of the top instate talent.
    Our 1 potential ace is Atlanta area recruits. If The AAU loses power, which I think is already happening, we might see more kids staying instate like with football.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@TDawg said:

I'm not sure a young coach would be eager to leave if he was winning at UGA and drawing some of the top instate talent.
    Our 1 potential ace is Atlanta area recruits. If The AAU loses power, which I think is already happening, we might see more kids staying instate like with football.

It kind of feels like that's hoping for something to happen that has no history of ever happening. Even our NBA quality players aren't consistently from there. Dominque was born in France and was a North Carolina player in high school. KCP was from Greeneville, GA... not Atlanta. Vern Fleming was from New York. Litterial Green was from Mississippi. While the Hayes Brothers were from Atlanta... they weren't considered top talent. They went to Western Carolina out of high school before transferring to UGA. Jumain Jones was in South Georgia.

UGA has NEVER gotten top Atlanta talent in basketball. Thinking that it just might happen with the right coach seems kind of wishful thinking to me. I just don't see guys with an offer to UNC and UGA ever choosing UGA. Kind of like how we go in and get the top guys from North Carolina in football. Location is nice... but UNC isn't UGA when it comes to football. And UGA isn't UNC when it comes to basketball.

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Programs have to start somewhere. Butler and Gonzaga busted on the national stage from nowhere some time back and has never left. I think GA is ripe with opportunity for the right coach.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KyotoPhantasy said:
    UGA is not a destination program only because of self loathing. If UF can have the success they have had, so can UGA.

Exactly- Its the culture mentality and its really sad.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawginSC said:

** Yes, you are overrating the basketball program.

We are NOT a destination basketball job like we are in football. UGA's job in basketball is akin to Mississippi State's in football. It's an okay job... but if someone young comes in and has success they'll leave for greener pastures QUICK. **

Sorry @DawginSC but I'm afeared you too are overrating the UGA BB job. After all Miss. St was ranked in the top 25 in FB last season and just 3 years ago was ranked #1 for a short time. Don't recall our BB program being quite that high. In basketball were probably more like Indiana or Kentucky or Duke in football. Sad but true.

'Your dead on however with the the rest of what you're saying. Kinda reminds me of the lyrics of this old song:

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
         Never make a pretty woman your wife
         So from my personal point of view
         Get an **** girl to marry you"

"Don't let your friends say you have no taste
        Go ahead and marry anyway
        Though her face is ****, her eyes don't match
        Take it from me, she's a better catch"

• ddodsonddodson Posts: 32 ✭✭ Sophomore

I really do feel that UGA is in a bit of a rush to hire their next basketball coach. Slow it down. Wait for some of the first rounds of the NCAA games to play out and truly interview quality coaches that have taken their team to the tournament. We want a SMART hire and not one out of desperation.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying to remember the exact context, but Crean IMO made a fool of himself during a postgame interview a few years ago and I remembered thinking I was glad he was not coaching a team I cared about.

I have never followed hoops as closely as Football. While Tubby is not my first or second choice and I don’t know those options off the top of my head, I would rather have Tubby and Hayes as Associate Head Coach over Crean.

It is foolish to hold a grudge over Tubby leaving for Kentucky. They offered twice the money and the chance to Coach at that school with their history including factoring Rupp is the move I would have made if I was him.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@BobcatGrad said:
    Trying to remember the exact context, but Crean IMO made a fool of himself during a postgame interview a few years ago and I remembered thinking I was glad he was not coaching a team I cared about.

I have never followed hoops as closely as Football. While Tubby is not my first or second choice and I don’t know those options off the top of my head, I would rather have Tubby and Hayes as Associate Head Coach over Crean.

It is foolish to hold a grudge over Tubby leaving for Kentucky. They offered twice the money and the chance to Coach at that school with their history including factoring Rupp is the move I would have made if I was him.

I agree and sadly our AD is not the very good at choosing coaches. If the "Big" boosters aren't involved, it gets pretty lame on hiring coaches. If it wasn't from the "outside" money from the "Big Guns", Kirby wouldn't be at UGA. Too bad they won't make the play for basketball.....

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean it is, time to back him

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

More reports out about it being a done deal. Glad to have it done before the tournament goes mich further or recruiting closes out. Should be a very good hire. I’m on-board and excited.

• dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stop trashing MY coach!!!! Jk, but sources are saying he is our coach so can we delete this thread before we become the Tennessee of the SEC.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Crean it is, time to back him

Exactly!!! Complaining about Crean’s hire at this point does not help the situation but makes it worse. Get over it and get on the bus or get off!

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

My point about the thread wasn't to bash Crean but about coming out publicly before sealing the deal. I don't know anything about the man but I plan to.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im a Duke fan basketball (UGA Football) so Im outside looking in... UGA isnt a great bball job at all. First they are the second best program in GA for local talent but even then local talent has 4 better SEC schools in close distance in TENN, FLA, KENTUCKY, AUBURN... Not to mention Duke, UNC, MIA, FSU, etc are all close. I think Crean is the perfect hire because he is a top recruiter and can bring a track record. Which is what these kids will look at he has at minimum 10 players in the league.