Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reaching out to Crean?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@TDawg said:
    Is it just me or am I over rating GA basketball program? I feel the phones should be blowing up from coaches wanting the job. Also, if the program is not what I think then they should be hush hush about it until the contract is signed.

Yes, you are overrating the basketball program.

We are NOT a destination basketball job like we are in football. UGA's job in basketball is akin to Mississippi State's in football. It's an okay job... but if someone young comes in and has success they'll leave for greener pastures QUICK.

Our best bet is a coach who's been successful and is older (at least 50... maybe even 60+). The hope is that they're looking for a "job to retire at"... that way if they're successful they might stay a while. A younger coach with success will go to a better job.

I'm not sure a young coach would be eager to leave if he was winning at UGA and drawing some of the top instate talent.
    Our 1 potential ace is Atlanta area recruits. If The AAU loses power, which I think is already happening, we might see more kids staying instate like with football.

It kind of feels like that's hoping for something to happen that has no history of ever happening. Even our NBA quality players aren't consistently from there. Dominque was born in France and was a North Carolina player in high school. KCP was from Greeneville, GA... not Atlanta. Vern Fleming was from New York. Litterial Green was from Mississippi. While the Hayes Brothers were from Atlanta... they weren't considered top talent. They went to Western Carolina out of high school before transferring to UGA. Jumain Jones was in South Georgia.

UGA has NEVER gotten top Atlanta talent in basketball. Thinking that it just might happen with the right coach seems kind of wishful thinking to me. I just don't see guys with an offer to UNC and UGA ever choosing UGA. Kind of like how we go in and get the top guys from North Carolina in football. Location is nice... but UNC isn't UGA when it comes to football. And UGA isn't UNC when it comes to basketball.

There is no inherent road block to signing Atlanta players.
    They go to the same schools as the football players we sign. Only the national traveling and AAU influences have kept them from sharing the instate pride and loyalties football players have.
    This seems like a key moment in breaking that culture with the FBI probe and negative publicity the AAU is getting.
    It wasn't that long ago when most of our football talent came from small Georgia towns, now The Metro area is dominant.
    I think we'll see a few of those Metro 5 star kids staying home in the near future.

Also I know you just mentioned UNC as an example, but I can't think of a single elite UNC player who came from Atlanta.
    Georgia has had Jarvis and Jonas Hayes, Marcus Thornton. James Banks, Shandon Anderson and Jacky Dorsey among others who came from The Metro area. The dominant school for Metro talent has been Georgia Tech though, by far.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Im a Duke fan basketball (UGA Football) so Im outside looking in... UGA isnt a great bball job at all. First they are the second best program in GA for local talent but even then local talent has 4 better SEC schools in close distance in TENN, FLA, KENTUCKY, AUBURN... Not to mention Duke, UNC, MIA, FSU, etc are all close. I think Crean is the perfect hire because he is a top recruiter and can bring a track record. Which is what these kids will look at he has at minimum 10 players in the league.

I'm a Kentucky basketball fan because my parents were stationed at Ft. Knox in the mid to late 70's. Back then that was all the rage in that state UK and UL basketball. You were going to become a fan of one or the other. Having said that I want to be a UGA basketball fan but I need to see a commitment to winning. I want to know more players names than Dominique Wilkins, Yante Maten, and my high school classmate that played from 86-89.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of you all sound like 50% of UTj fans. UTj Football / UK basketball fan. Meh pick one

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Some of you all sound like 50% of UTj fans. UTj Football / UK basketball fan. Meh pick one

Winners like winning and have little tolerance for consistent losing. How long would you eat a bad meals before you start recommending cooking lessons to the cook(wife's excluded). I have a friend that's a NC fan with all there teams and he's riding and dying with their football program. Every year he's talking them up who they recruited and highlighting the one 5 star or former star in the NFL but secretly he's a Dawg fan. He knows the only thing they lacked was that coach to get them to the next level. We've been in agreement that CMR coached at least 3 championship teams and with CKS it's not if but when it going to happen.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Winners like winning and have little tolerance for consistent losing. How long would you eat a bad meals before you start recommending cooking lessons to the cook(wife's excluded). I have a friend that's a NC fan with all there teams and he's riding and dying with their football program. Every year he's talking them up who they recruited and highlighting the one 5 star or former star in the NFL but secretly he's a Dawg fan. He knows the only thing they lacked was that coach to get them to the next level. We've been in agreement that CMR coached at least 3 championship teams and with CKS it's not if but when it going to happen.

Sounds to me your friend is a true fan. One fan One Team (especially in the same conference).

If it’s just riding with winners, then isn’t that the definition of a band wagon fan ?

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang, just think we could have hired Tony Bennett after Carla Williams fires him for not only being the first #1 seed to lose to a # 16, but to do so by 20.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

My brackets are officially buried after the UVA loss.

It’s a bad loss but they won’t fire Bennett. A 31-3 record is just too good despite the epic upset.