Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why would Lebron go to The Lakers ?

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't get the reasoning in LA being the odds on favorite to sign him.
If he wants a title, The Sixers seem like a far better choice.
Put him on a roster with Simmons, Embiid and a good list of support players, I think they would be a real threat to win it all.
Playing with Simmons would free Lebron to focus even more energy on scoring, rebounding and defense. They have a great perimeter shooter and off ball defenders, it would be a very tough team to beat.

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Put him on a roster with Simmons, Embiid and a good list of support players, I think they would be a real threat to win it all.
    Playing with Simmons would free Lebron to focus even more energy on scoring, rebounding and defense. They have a great perimeter shooter and off ball defenders, it would be a very tough team to beat.

@WCDawg said:

I think part of the allure of LA for Lebron is the availability of “out of basketball” opportunities e.g. the entertainment industry. He already has a home in LA. I agree that LA would need more help alongside Lebron to become a champ again. Other teams are much closer to that level than LA.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

He wants to be a mogul like Magic Johnson. That’s not happening in Philly. Could happen with the Lake show.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think part of the allure of LA for Lebron is the availability of “out of basketball” opportunities e.g. the entertainment industry. He already has a home in LA. I agree that LA would need more help alongside Lebron to become a champ again. Other teams are much closer to that level than LA.

Lebron doesn't need exposure, he's the most observed basketball player since Jordan.
    If titles are his primary concern, LA is not his best option.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    He wants to be a mogul like Magic Johnson. That’s not happening in Philly. Could happen with the Lake show.

Magic is a real business man, he doesn't run a media company, he buys and operates properties, that can be done in any city.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

The "LAKE-SHOW" or 'SHOWTIME" (as it was once upon a time called) has an extensive history behind it, & there really is a HUGE, HUGE fan base out there hungry for having a decent team on the court... & (as far as NBA conversations go) it actually IS a good thing for the NBA when the Lakers are (once again) relevant. They (Los Angeles folks) actually need someone EXACTLY like Lebron James to bring about that BUZZ, & start that fan base to get EXCITED again. It has been a LONG, LONG TIME since LA-LA-LAND has had any local excitement for their team. The MOST EXCITING THING that has happened out there recently??? A THRILLING DOUBLE OVERTIME GEORGIA BULLDOGS 54-48 EPIC, MAGNIFICENT & HISTORIC VICTORY OVER THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS IN THE ROSE BOWL GAME IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR!!! The Los Angeles people NEED something to cheer for during their basketball season.

• Options

@christopherules said:
    The "LAKE-SHOW" or 'SHOWTIME" (as it was once upon a time called) has an extensive history behind it, & there really is a HUGE, HUGE fan base out there hungry for having a decent team on the court... & (as far as NBA conversations go) it actually IS a good thing for the NBA when the Lakers are (once again) relevant. They (Los Angeles folks) actually need someone EXACTLY like Lebron James to bring about that BUZZ, & start that fan base to get EXCITED again. It has been a LONG, LONG TIME since LA-LA-LAND has had any local excitement for their team. The MOST EXCITING THING that has happened out there recently??? A THRILLING DOUBLE OVERTIME GEORGIA BULLDOGS 54-48 EPIC, MAGNIFICENT & HISTORIC VICTORY OVER THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS IN THE ROSE BOWL GAME IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR!!! The Los Angeles people NEED something to cheer for during their basketball season.

None of that should matter to Lebron, he wants titles.
    The man doesn't lack for exposure as it is. Besides, winning titles is his best avenue to sell himself with.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Magic is a real business man, he doesn't run a media company, he buys and operates properties, that can be done in any city.

Yea but he only runs one franchise in the NBA

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

The man doesn't lack for exposure as it is. Besides, winning titles is his best avenue to sell himself with.

Are we sure he wants titles?

• Options
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg, @donm, & @Kasey All of y'all bring up both great, most valid, & very insightful points. I would simply argue only that from a historical perspective, that perhaps Lebron sees yet another opportunity for himself to cement his place in a "historical" franchise like the Los Angeles Lakers. That would be both (yet another "cash-cow", as if Lebron NEEDS any more money???) anyway, a HUGE potential money maker for him, AND it could become as well a "Legacy item" that lasts him for the long term. At that point (down the road) he could bask in it for years and years. Perhaps he could then parlay this from just playing for the team, into later being THE MAN in the Lakers front office???? I am thinking something that is similar to a Jerry West type situation??? These are merely just my own musings here.... that is all.

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't want more. Losing 5 finals has to sting.

• Options

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg, @donm, & @Kasey All of y'all bring up both great, most valid, & very insightful points. I would simply argue only that from a historical perspective, that perhaps Lebron sees yet another opportunity for himself to cement his place in a "historical" franchise like the Los Angeles Lakers. That would be both (yet another "cash-cow", as if Lebron NEEDS any more money???) anyway, a HUGE potential money maker for him, AND it could become as well a "Legacy item" that lasts him for the long term. At that point (down the road) he could bask in it for years and years. Perhaps he could then parlay this from just playing for the team, into later being THE MAN in the Lakers front office???? I am thinking something that is similar to a Jerry West type situation??? These are merely just my own musings here.... that is all.

Winning titles in Philly would do more for his legacy than babysitting a brat in LA.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

Winning titles in Philly would do more for his legacy than babysitting a brat in LA.

Perhaps you are correct. We will all soon find out where he is going to go, after he decides what it is that he wants to do. However, I DO feel most certain of one thing. His days of playing in Cleveland are now over.

• Options

Boston has the better future than Philly. It’s no lock he’d win titles there either

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Boston has the better future than Philly. It’s no lock he’d win titles there either

I don't see Boston mentioned as a possibility. I took that as meaning they don't have the cap space, but I could be wrong.
    Put him on that Celtics roster and I could see him winning 3 more titles before he's finished.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the idea of him somewhere like Portland Houston or the raptors, somewhere that’s one wing player away from being a contender

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:
    I love the idea of him somewhere like Portland Houston or the raptors, somewhere that’s one wing player away from being a contender

Yeah, was thinking Houston is the team that’s closest, outside the Warriors.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@judasdurant said:

Houston would be over the cap with just their top 4 players if they signed Lebron.
    I think it comes down to The Lakers, Sixers or he stays in Cleveland, with San Antonio a wild card.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@judasdurant said:

Houston would be over the cap with just their top 4 players if they signed Lebron.
    I think it comes down to The Lakers, Sixers or he stays in Cleveland, with San Antonio a wild card.

Yeah, was just talking teams closest to being able to take on the Warriors.

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't want more. Losing 5 finals has to sting.

6 Finals. And his mom and wife loved Miami and did not want to go back to Cleveland. Philly is East Coast Cleveland. Be on the look out for San Antonio. Lebron loves Pop and would love to play for him.

• Options
    mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it’ll be Houston or San Antonio. They’ve both got nice weather, great coaches, other stars, capable role players, and good defenses.

I can’t picture him going to philly. I don’t think their window opens up for another 2-3 years. They’d obviously win the East w Lebron, but idt they’d seriously challenge GS.

Boston is the dark horse. It would be absolutely WILD If Danny Ainge did a sign and trade for Lebron given the Kyrie Irving situation. They’d likely have to send Kyrie or Hayward (which I can’t see them doing) back to Cleveland, but a Lebron-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford starting 5 with Smart, Rozier, Morris, & Baynes on the bench is a playoff rotation that beats GS.