Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How great was John Coppolella at picking talent ?

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not even counting the amazing work he did in trades and internationally ( I know, he did cheat there).
Just looking at his 2 June drafts in 2015 and 2016...

14th overall - Kolby Allard
28th overall - Mike Soroka
41st overall - Austin Riley
75th overall - AJ Menter

3rd overall - Ian Anderson
40th overall - Joey Wentz

HOTDAMN. From Wren's last draft in 2014 there is nobody of note yet to climb the ladder among his top 6 picks.

I mean, the guy loaded the organization with elite prospects in just 2 short years. Imagine if he'd had 10 years to build with.

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking forward to seeing Allard and Soroka being in starting rotation next year along with Newcomb and Folty. Can see Minter in closer role soon, great stuff.

• Options

How about this.
    Of The Braves' top 13 prospects as of preseason this year 12 were signed during Coppolella's short 2 years in 2015 and 2016....WOW. Only Acuna was signed before then.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:
    Looking forward to seeing Allard and Soroka being in starting rotation next year along with Newcomb and Folty. Can see Minter in closer role soon, great stuff.

Soroka is my pick to be our best starter long term, but he is not without strong competition.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think they was shady dealings in the traditional draft as well that wasn’t reported on.

I heard reporters make mention of “rumors” of how we had “top tier talent sign below their draft slot bonuses.”
    -word was he got them cash or other incentives.... coppy even joked about “ways around the bonus”... “maybe we will just get him a car or something.... hahaha”.... until it seemed like a reality.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    I think they was shady dealings in the traditional draft as well that wasn’t reported on.

I heard reporters make mention of “rumors” of how we had “top tier talent sign below their draft slot bonuses.”
    -word was he got them cash or other incentives.... coppy even joked about “ways around the bonus”... “maybe we will just get him a car or something.... hahaha”.... until it seemed like a reality.

You still have to have great judgement of talent to come up with so many good players in such a short amount of time.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Losing those 13 top international prospect might really hurt down the road. I think there were 2 good catching prospects among them, as well as Kevin Maitan.

• Options

@donm said:
    Losing those 13 top international prospect might really hurt down the road. I think there were 2 good catching prospects among them, as well as Kevin Maitan.

Maitan is still an unknown at the minor leagues level. He hasn't played enough to have even a decent sample of his ability.
    We're strong enough through the draft and trades to absorb the losses.

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

honestly, if Coppy hadn't cheated (or hadn't been caught) he could have been one of the best things to ever happen to Braves baseball. It's a shame he didn't have the moral compass to go with his talent/intellect as a GM.