Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Trae Young has played well the past 2 summer league games...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It makes sense that he'd have to adjust his game to NBA level athletes, and he seems to be adapting quickly.
He's averaging 23.4 pts and 8 assist in 2 wins.

Comments

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's finally impressing I was wondering what was wrong. Analysts say he isnt adjusting to the length inside as well. But his passing ability is good and hell probably be more Harden-esque. Wish you Hawk fans well with the kid!

• Options

@Thelordjohnson said:
    He's finally impressing I was wondering what was wrong. Analysts say he isnt adjusting to the length inside as well. But his passing ability is good and hell probably be more Harden-esque. Wish you Hawk fans well with the kid!

''Finally'' ? he's played all of 4 summer games, it took James Harden 3 years to really become a top NBA player.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

''Finally'' ? he's played all of 4 summer games, it took James Harden 3 years to really become a top NBA player.

he didn't exactly see the ball a lot with Durant and Westbrook on either side of him.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young has potential. I think the Hawks are a couple of years away from being any kind of contender, even in the depleted East. The Jeremy Lin trade last night was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe something else in the works for Dennis?

• Options
    edited July 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

he didn't exactly see the ball a lot with Durant and Westbrook on either side of him.

Those teams were Durant's both Harden and Westbrook took several years to develop into stars.

• Options

@PTDawg said:
    Young has potential. I think the Hawks are a couple of years away from being any kind of contender, even in the depleted East. The Jeremy Lin trade last night was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe something else in the works for Dennis?

Good observation. Signing Lin might well be in preparation of moving the sore head.
    Also, I want The Hawks to tank one more year. In The NBA it's the best path to building a contender. With another huge cache of picks next year by 2020 we might have a real contender level foundation, but at this point the roster is way too thin.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

The struggles he had had been alarming. He will still have a tough transition. He still wants the same issues. I expect more from essentially the #3 pick.

Also the draft class next year looks very suspect for a ranking team unless you get the #1 or #2.

• Options

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

The struggles he had had been alarming. He will still have a tough transition. He still wants the same issues. I expect more from essentially the #3 pick.

Also the draft class next year looks very suspect for a ranking team unless you get the #1 or #2.

I have to wonder how much NBA ball you've followed.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Alot. I know SL doesnt mean much but his issies getting inside are concerning. But I digress. Like I did with Jackson I will admit if flaws I saw in tape are non existent. But currently I dont see Young being better than GSW version of Monta.

• Options
    ddodsonddodson Posts: 32 ✭✭ Sophomore

It will take the young Hawk at least 2 years to fully develop into something. I believe the 3rd year will be the charm and that will be just in time for the Hawks to START contending for the East. The Hawks rebuild is at least 4 to 5 years away. When you're at the bottom all you can do is hope. Here's hoping these Hawks soar in 5 years.

• Options

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Alot. I know SL doesnt mean much but his issies getting inside are concerning. But I digress. Like I did with Jackson I will admit if flaws I saw in tape are non existent. But currently I dont see Young being better than GSW version of Monta.

My only concern with Young is his small frame, will he be strong enough or will NBA defenses wear him down ?
    I was sure he'd have to make adjustemnts, I posted as much here.
    I also said I like his chances to adjust because he uses change of speeds in real time very well and he has excellent quickness. Those traits, ( along with defenders having to step out to guard against 3s) will be critical in driving to the basket, which is a big key to opening up his entire game.
    He saw right away even summer league defenders are too big and quick to drive past without using change of pace and lateral quickness, he has already started making needed adjustments.
    It will be a constant challenge though.