Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will The Braves go after Machado ?....should they ?....

Comments

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Keep the roster in tact. Hold your water until Pache, Riley, Toussant, and Allard get here.

Plug in Mike Reed and Camargo to bridge the gap. This team is on an upward trend. Just keep doin what we’ve been doin. The hay is in the barn.

I agree for the most part, but signing a couple of relief pitchers is an imperative. It's not just about this year, it's about not damaging arms through overuse.

That’s a good point. I struggle with spending money on relief pitchers, so I’m conveniently overlooking that.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Keep the roster in tact. Hold your water until Pache, Riley, Toussant, and Allard get here.

Plug in Mike Reed and Camargo to bridge the gap. This team is on an upward trend. Just keep doin what we’ve been doin. The hay is in the barn.

I agree for the most part, but signing a couple of relief pitchers is an imperative. It's not just about this year, it's about not damaging arms through overuse.

That’s a good point. I struggle with spending money on relief pitchers, so I’m conveniently overlooking that.

In today's game relief pitchers may be the best bargains. They are playing more and more innings but they are still among the lowest paid players on the market.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree they shouldn't grab for Machado. I do think Arenado can be had for a lower price tag, though. The Braves have to decide what they think they are at this point. Are they:

1) a year ahead of schedule and just playing with house money and enjoying the ride this season wherever it takes them, or:

2) do they think they are ready to really contend now and therefore it's worth moving some young pieces to get some established pieces to help them win this season?

I personally think it's more#1. AA can't come out and say that because it doesn't play well in a sound bite but I think believe it's true. Fast forward a couple of months and put this team in a short series against the Brewers/Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers and see what that looks like. I think you're a SP, a decent bat and at least a couple of bullpen pieces away from legitimately saying that you'd expect to win a series against those teams in October. That is the decision that has to be made in the next 2 weeks.

• Options

@PTDawg said:
    I agree they shouldn't grab for Machado. I do think Arenado can be had for a lower price tag, though. The Braves have to decide what they think they are at this point. Are they:

1) a year ahead of schedule and just playing with house money and enjoying the ride this season wherever it takes them, or:

2) do they think they are ready to really contend now and therefore it's worth moving some young pieces to get some established pieces to help them win this season?

I personally think it's more#1. AA can't come out and say that because it doesn't play well in a sound bite but I think believe it's true. Fast forward a couple of months and put this team in a short series against the Brewers/Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers and see what that looks like. I think you're a SP, a decent bat and at least a couple of bullpen pieces away from legitimately saying that you'd expect to win a series against those teams in October. That is the decision that has to be made in the next 2 weeks.

Arenado's current contract is fairly low and it runs through 2019. As far as cost though, he would command a huge return in players. He is probably every bit as valued as Machado.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:
    Machado is a 1 year rental at most for most teams. He is very good, but would disrupt the flow of the team because of this. He wants to be a Yankee. If the Braves do get him then they have the best chance to make him a permanent fixture on their team.

I believe Machado is in the last year of his contract, he will be a FA after this season.

Yes indeed. He is a 1 yr rental.

Less than half a season actually.

True^

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Arenado's current contract is fairly low and it runs through 2019. As far as cost though, he would command a huge return in players. He is probably every bit as valued as Machado.

That's a fair point but you do at least get the extra yr of control out of it and maybe that gives the Braves a better chance to re-sign him.

I think at some point you'll see prospects, particularly pitching prospects, moved for established players. The question is is now the time for that? The Braves don't have innings for Soroka, Allard, Gohara, Fried, Anderson, Touki, Wright, Wilson, etc. They've got some tough player evals to do but they have to decide who they want to keep and who is better utilized as trade capital to meet other needs.

• Options

@PTDawg said:

That's a fair point but you do at least get the extra yr of control out of it and maybe that gives the Braves a better chance to re-sign him.

I think at some point you'll see prospects, particularly pitching prospects, moved for established players. The question is is now the time for that? The Braves don't have innings for Soroka, Allard, Gohara, Fried, Anderson, Touki, Wright, Wilson, etc. They've got some tough player evals to do but they have to decide who they want to keep and who is better utilized as trade capital to meet other needs.

I don't think you move pitchers unless they've been eliminated as future starters for Atl.
    We've seen yet again how quickly a seemingly deep rotation can get dicey.
    I don't think Arenado will be traded and if he is, I don't think The Braves will be serious contenders.
    I honestly don't think the team is deep enough to make the post-season this year, even with a star at 3rd.

• Options

@PTDawg said:

I'm always wary of Rockies' players offensive stats, but Arenado's home-road splits are pretty close throughout his careerto date, as close as the average across MLB.
    If we had a weak position at 3rd and lookedready to make a run at a World Series otherwise, I'd say put some valuable pieces on the table and see what happens. We really don't have a bad position at 3rd though, and we won't sniff a WS this season, and likely not next season either. So why make such a move ?

• Options
    edited July 2018

@WCDawg said:

@PTDawg said:

I'm always wary of Rockies' players offensive stats, but Arenado's home-road splits are pretty close throughout his careerto date, as close as the average across MLB.
    If we had a weak position at 3rd and lookedready to make a run at a World Series otherwise, I'd say put some valuable pieces on the table and see what happens. We really don't have a bad position at 3rd though, and we won't sniff a WS this season, and likely not next season either. So why make such a move ?

I wouldn't. I said in my original response that I think this team is a frontline SP, a strong bat and at least a couple of bullpen pieces away from contending in October. I don't think this is the year to chase things, in my opinion. If AA decided he did want to make a big move, however, which he has shown a willingness to in the past, I was saying I'd rather push for Arenado than Machado given the extra year of control and what I think would be somewhat lesser cost.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,943 mod

Anyone think Jeff Blauser could move over and play third? Or maybe Jeff Treadway?

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Anyone think Jeff Blauser could move over and play third? Or maybe Jeff Treadway?

I'm holding out hope for Bob Horner. Need a little more pop.

• Options

@Kasey said:

I'd look at Lemke first.
    Mr Oct. 2.0.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,943 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

I'd look at Lemke first.
    Mr Oct. 2.0.

But why scoot Lemke over? Treadway is just riding the bench

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

I'd look at Lemke first.
    Mr Oct. 2.0.

But why scoot Lemke over? Treadway is just riding the bench

You sold me, but Jeff's Georgia connection was the real decider.

• Options

@PTDawg said:

@Kasey said:

I'm holding out hope for Bob Horner. Need a little more pop.

Curly Bob was hands down the best drunk hitter The Braves have had since Joe Torre

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

Jerry Royster can play anywhere.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

>

Sorry, you're wrong on this one.
    Liberty did in fact separate most of The Cobb development into a new company and The Braves in fact recieve nothing from those businesses.
    It is also a fact Liberty uses it's sports interest to write off paper losses. The Braves took in 114 million more in 2017 than in 2016 yet the showed only 14 million in profit. Even with the many millions Liberty has removed from The Cobb development to their coffers in Denver The Braves had the 8th highest revenue in MBL last season, the is not mid-market, it's near the top.

I mean if it is a fact please show any sort of article or something saying this because i would love to be surprised. Otherwise, I'll continue saying this is wrong and the line of thinking is a dead end. In fact, come on over to Talking Chop and inform the public of your 'facts'.

@PTDawg said:

Yeah this is exactly how I feel as well. They know that this year they aren't likely to make much noise in the post season, and since this year was pretty much written off in March they're playing with house money. But next off season when they have 80+ Million to spend (40M or so committed to 2019 with a 128M payroll this year, per spotrack) and with a pretty good free agent market shaping up they will probably cash in some chips and make a splash.

@WCDawg said:

>

I don't think you move pitchers unless they've been eliminated as future starters for Atl.

Yeah I also am generally in favor of holding onto the prospects, but the problem with waiting until we know they aren't going to make it as a major leager is that by then they have tanked their value, a la Matt Wisler (who was at one poing a top 50 prospect in the game, and had value similar to Ian Anderson's current value!). If we were to try and make a deal for someone like Arenado, which I'd be in favor of, you're going to have to give up some players who still have a viable shot at being good. You can only have 5 starters in one rotation, and really only need 8-9 guys ready to take a start in the organization, and the depth of pitching prospects we have now pretty much means they are going to HAVE to unload some of them to upgrade certain spots.

And I mean yeah Camargo is fine. Swanson is fine. Enciarte is fine. Suzuki/Flowers is fine. But none of them are Albies level and certainly not Freeman level. We don't have a spot in the lineup where there is a huge, gaping need, but we also aren't the Yankees or Red Sox. In order to take the next step you kind of have to acquire some high impact players that can net you 4+ WAR. And since Camargo has such good position versatility as well as being a switch hitter he would be a really strong bench piece. That's why most people advocate upgrading 3'rd, because Camargo would be a weapon on the bench and acquiring an Arenado, for example, would be like upgrading two spots with one move.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Bravos beats out the Red Sox for Moose for a 3B. Bravos can make a playoff push and with a solid 3B in Moose for a rental, this would give Bravos some more time to develop Riley.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

>

Sorry, you're wrong on this one.
    Liberty did in fact separate most of The Cobb development into a new company and The Braves in fact recieve nothing from those businesses.
    It is also a fact Liberty uses it's sports interest to write off paper losses. The Braves took in 114 million more in 2017 than in 2016 yet the showed only 14 million in profit. Even with the many millions Liberty has removed from The Cobb development to their coffers in Denver The Braves had the 8th highest revenue in MBL last season, the is not mid-market, it's near the top.

I mean if it is a fact please show any sort of article or something saying this because i would love to be surprised. Otherwise, I'll continue saying this is wrong and the line of thinking is a dead end. In fact, come on over to Talking Chop and inform the public of your 'facts'.

@PTDawg said:

Yeah this is exactly how I feel as well. They know that this year they aren't likely to make much noise in the post season, and since this year was pretty much written off in March they're playing with house money. But next off season when they have 80+ Million to spend (40M or so committed to 2019 with a 128M payroll this year, per spotrack) and with a pretty good free agent market shaping up they will probably cash in some chips and make a splash.

@WCDawg said:

>

Yeah I also am generally in favor of holding onto the prospects, but the problem with waiting until we know they aren't going to make it as a major leager is that by then they have tanked their value, a la Matt Wisler (who was at one poing a top 50 prospect in the game, and had value similar to Ian Anderson's current value!). If we were to try and make a deal for someone like Arenado, which I'd be in favor of, you're going to have to give up some players who still have a viable shot at being good. You can only have 5 starters in one rotation, and really only need 8-9 guys ready to take a start in the organization, and the depth of pitching prospects we have now pretty much means they are going to HAVE to unload some of them to upgrade certain spots.

And I mean yeah Camargo is fine. Swanson is fine. Enciarte is fine. Suzuki/Flowers is fine. But none of them are Albies level and certainly not Freeman level. We don't have a spot in the lineup where there is a huge, gaping need, but we also aren't the Yankees or Red Sox. In order to take the next step you kind of have to acquire some high impact players that can net you 4+ WAR. And since Camargo has such good position versatility as well as being a switch hitter he would be a really strong bench piece. That's why most people advocate upgrading 3'rd, because Camargo would be a weapon on the bench and acquiring an Arenado, for example, would be like upgrading two spots with one move.

I talked to Liberty's investor relations officer afterreading about the new company being formed and most of the Cobb development being put under it's banner.
    I don't do links, believe it or don't, it's fact.