Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Some of you brought up the World Cup

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

US Men couldn't even get past qualifying. Which is a serious statement on the lack of talent. USWNT just went up on Japan 4-1.

«1

Comments

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    What’s your point?

  • MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Comparing the men and women's team is not a very good comparison. USA was one of, if not the first to, have a women's program and it has by and large dominated since it started. What is truly sad is that Iceland with a population of 334,000 people puts a team in the World Cup. Croatia, with a population of 4.1 million, puts a team in the final. The U.S. with a population of 325 million can't put a team in the World Cup.

  • Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Probably because our best athletes are out playing DB B)

  • BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭ Junior

    U.S. top athletes are playing football, baseball, and basketball. Soccer takes the seat in the back of the bus.

  • NYCLawDawgNYCLawDawg Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Not making the world cup given our region was a serious disappointment. But at this stage we are nowhere near contenders whether we qualify or not. Us not making the world cup might be the exact change we need to get some real leadership in positions of power. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take a huge leap forward. Trying to think of a relevant example from UGA but nothing comes to Richt. I mean mind......

  • BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Yep, Mark Richt even lost control of US Men’s International Football Team....

  • BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    The countries that made and won the world cup do what we do in football and basketball for soccer. Their kids came out the **** kicking a soccer ball. Our kids her don't have the training to compete yet. Soccer is slowly getting more popular, but until it catches on as an exciting sport "we" watch here in America then we will always get bounced early. We need about 20 yrs of really good athletes playing the sport and nothing else for this to take shape. We are also behind in Cricket lol.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @BrooklynDawg said:
    The countries that made and won the world cup do what we do in football and basketball for soccer. Their kids came out the **** kicking a soccer ball. Our kids her don't have the training to compete yet. Soccer is slowly getting more popular, but until it catches on as an exciting sport "we" watch here in America then we will always get bounced early. We need about 20 yrs of really good athletes playing the sport and nothing else for this to take shape. We are also behind in Cricket lol.

    As well as in field hockey.

  • BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:

    @BrooklynDawg said:
    The countries that made and won the world cup do what we do in football and basketball for soccer. Their kids came out the **** kicking a soccer ball. Our kids her don't have the training to compete yet. Soccer is slowly getting more popular, but until it catches on as an exciting sport "we" watch here in America then we will always get bounced early. We need about 20 yrs of really good athletes playing the sport and nothing else for this to take shape. We are also behind in Cricket lol.

    As well as in field hockey.

    Don't forget curling, it's huge in the Scandanavian countries I hear.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @BrooklynDawg said:

    @donm said:

    @BrooklynDawg said:
    The countries that made and won the world cup do what we do in football and basketball for soccer. Their kids came out the **** kicking a soccer ball. Our kids her don't have the training to compete yet. Soccer is slowly getting more popular, but until it catches on as an exciting sport "we" watch here in America then we will always get bounced early. We need about 20 yrs of really good athletes playing the sport and nothing else for this to take shape. We are also behind in Cricket lol.

    As well as in field hockey.

    Don't forget curling, it's huge in the Scandanavian countries I hear.

    What's wrong with the USA's recruiting?

  • BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:

    @BrooklynDawg said:

    @donm said:

    @BrooklynDawg said:
    The countries that made and won the world cup do what we do in football and basketball for soccer. Their kids came out the **** kicking a soccer ball. Our kids her don't have the training to compete yet. Soccer is slowly getting more popular, but until it catches on as an exciting sport "we" watch here in America then we will always get bounced early. We need about 20 yrs of really good athletes playing the sport and nothing else for this to take shape. We are also behind in Cricket lol.

    As well as in field hockey.

    Don't forget curling, it's huge in the Scandanavian countries I hear.

    What's wrong with the USA's recruiting?

    Mark Richt lost control of USA recruiting.

  • ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @pgjackson said:
    What’s your point?

    It was an off topic, on a slow night. My point is USA Men's Soccer s-ucks balls. Just like watching Women's tennis is better than watching Men's tennis.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @ugaforever said:

    @pgjackson said:
    What’s your point?

    It was an off topic, on a slow night. My point is USA Men's Soccer s-ucks balls. Just like watching Women's tennis is better than watching Men's tennis.

    For whatever reason, US women tend to do much better than the men’s team on the world stage. I think the men’s soccer team will be back next World Cup...but I never could figure out how a nation of 300,000,000 sport fanatic people can’t produce a soccer team capable of dominating North America and the Caribbean. It certainly was shameful to miss the WC cut. No excuse for it.

  • PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @MIghtydawg said:
    Comparing the men and women's team is not a very good comparison. USA was one of, if not the first to, have a women's program and it has by and large dominated since it started. What is truly sad is that Iceland with a population of 334,000 people puts a team in the World Cup. Croatia, with a population of 4.1 million, puts a team in the final. The U.S. with a population of 325 million can't put a team in the World Cup.

    What is even more impressive is that a couple years ago, when Iceland played England somewhere in France, 30K+ people from Iceland were at the game. That is 10% of Iceland's population!!! Imagine if 10% of Georgia showed up to a UGA football game.

  • CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @ugaforever said:
    US Men couldn't even get past qualifying. Which is a serious statement on the lack of talent. USWNT just went up on Japan 4-1.

    Soccer is one of the few sports in which I think watching women play is more interesting than watching men play. Men's soccer, IMO, is dominated by deutsche bags faking fouls and it working, which is why they all do it and it seriously affects the outcome of games. Women's soccer is about skill and teamwork, making it more fun to watch.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @pgjackson said:

    @ugaforever said:

    @pgjackson said:
    What’s your point?

    It was an off topic, on a slow night. My point is USA Men's Soccer s-ucks balls. Just like watching Women's tennis is better than watching Men's tennis.

    For whatever reason, US women tend to do much better than the men’s team on the world stage. I think the men’s soccer team will be back next World Cup...but I never could figure out how a nation of 300,000,000 sport fanatic people can’t produce a soccer team capable of dominating North America and the Caribbean. It certainly was shameful to miss the WC cut. No excuse for it.

    For reasons why we lag behind in distance running...it some African nations (more than one) running IS the national sport and kids see it as a way to fame and fortune. Here the fame and fortune follow FB, BB, BKB, Golf. I think it is changing, ever so slowly, in the US. Women have far less competition as women's sports in many great soccer countries haven't caught up to men's sports as far as support and social acceptance of competition. I think.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:

    @pgjackson said:

    @ugaforever said:

    @pgjackson said:
    What’s your point?

    It was an off topic, on a slow night. My point is USA Men's Soccer s-ucks balls. Just like watching Women's tennis is better than watching Men's tennis.

    For whatever reason, US women tend to do much better than the men’s team on the world stage. I think the men’s soccer team will be back next World Cup...but I never could figure out how a nation of 300,000,000 sport fanatic people can’t produce a soccer team capable of dominating North America and the Caribbean. It certainly was shameful to miss the WC cut. No excuse for it.

    For reasons why we lag behind in distance running...it some African nations (more than one) running IS the national sport and kids see it as a way to fame and fortune. Here the fame and fortune follow FB, BB, BKB, Golf. I think it is changing, ever so slowly, in the US. Women have far less competition as women's sports in many great soccer countries haven't caught up to men's sports as far as support and social acceptance of competition. I think.

    True, but soccer is the most popular sport in the US as far as people playing it. We should be able to find 20 guys who can beat Trinidad and Tobago. That is absolutely absurd. The MLS is rated as one of the Top 10 professional soccer leagues in the world, but we can’t beat tiny island nations. Doesn’t make sense. We have a massive pool of athletes, the best athletic training facilities on the planet, and the professional opportunities but the national team still sucks.

  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @12ed said:

    DGD. I miss Mark Richt everyday. He was one year away from a NC.

    Elated to see @12ed back in use!

Sign In or Register to comment.