Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is the verdict of the OSU investigation?

Comments

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If OSU parts ways with Meyer, which is my prediction, I would venture to guess that G-Smith will be fired as well. Either they both stay or they both go.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Fire Urban Liar

@PTDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@PTDawg said:
    If he were fired under these conditions I don't think another top program could touch him. ND fired George O'Leary for basically lying on his resume. I can't imagine how they would justify hiring Meyer.

George O’Leary doesn’t have the same amount of wins that urban liar has

A program like Louisville's will offer him a job at some point. The upside is too good for borderline programs to ignore. I think it will be a couple of years before he's offered though.

They might historically but look at what they're being drug through with Pitino right now. They've also been attached to some of the drama going on with Papa John's by association. I have to believe the next major hire that athletic dept makes will have to be squeaky clean.

Paterno
    Pitino
    Petrino

If the name rhymes with those guys, run.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018
    Fire Urban Liar

@dawghouse said:
    If OSU parts ways with Meyer, which is my prediction, I would venture to guess that G-Smith will be fired as well. Either they both stay or they both go.

Unless Meyer lied about telling Smith in 2015, I don't see how they could keep Smith and fire Liar. Maybe they could make Smith the fall guy and keep Liar with the old, ''the buck stops here'' argument though.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    Lie and let him go right back to work

Regardless of what happens, we are about to find out what is most important at Ohio state. Espn has them rendering a decision by Wednesday

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim Tressell got Youngstown State on probation on his way out the door to O$U and he is now back as President at YSU, Nothing surprises me when it comes to football in Ohio.

So we have the former Florida players on tape talking about abuse by Meyer himself and Durkin was on that Florida staff. Also remember that Earle Bruce was fired from Colorado State for abusing players and Meyer was on that staff. There is a clear pattern.

If Meyer is canned, I think Gene Smith the AD gets canned as well.

If Meyer is canned, Matt Campbell of Iowa State and Mel Tucker would probably be included on a list that had 10 or 12 names. Mel is from Cleveland, played at Wisconsin and was a DC at O$U.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    Jim Tressell got Youngstown State on probation on his way out the door to O$U and he is now back as President at YSU, Nothing surprises me when it comes to football in Ohio.

So we have the former Florida players on tape talking about abuse by Meyer himself and Durkin was on that Florida staff. Also remember that Earle Bruce was fired from Colorado State for abusing players and Meyer was on that staff. There is a clear pattern.

If Meyer is canned, I think Gene Smith the AD gets canned as well.

If Meyer is canned, Matt Campbell of Iowa State and Mel Tucker would probably be included on a list that had 10 or 12 names. Mel is from Cleveland, played at Wisconsin and was a DC at O$U.

Yes, that's a bit of a scare if Meyer is ousted, as I think Mel would be in their top 5 or so to pick from.

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@dawghouse said:

Unless Meyer lied about telling Smith in 2015, I don't see how they could keep Smith and fire Liar. Maybe they could make Smith the fall guy and keep Liar with the old, ''the buck stops here'' argument though.

Yes, exactly my thoughts. Either Urban uploaded to Smith, or the info went up the chain of command from his wife to her superior and then made it's way around the horn and down to Smith who would have then confirmed it to Meyer. Either way, I'm not sure if I can figure out a way they could not both be complicit to knowing since at least '15. It's possible, like you say, they make Smith the fall guy but that's going to be one big deposit in his bank account to keep him quiet ... but I'm sure that would still be a big savings to OSU considering the size of Meyer's payout.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy though. I think (hope?) the university will rise above and do the right thing by cleaning Meyer and Smith out of their house. We should soon find out.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Fire Urban Liar

I have faith the university is not going to allow their school's reputation to be tarnished by retaining Meyer. They will easily find another top-notch coach. Meyer is done, especially with all the dirty laundry getting aired from his fla days. It was known this assistant was abusive at fla, and Meyer brought him along. I don't know how anyone justifies that. There is just too much "dirtiness" involved with all parties for this to get swept under the rug.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod
    edited August 2018

@pgjackson said:
    I have faith the university is not going to allow their school's reputation to be tarnished by retaining Meyer. They will easily find another top-notch coach. Meyer is done, especially with all the dirty laundry getting aired from his fla days. It was known this assistant was abusive at fla, and Meyer brought him along. I don't know how anyone justifies that. There is just too much "dirtiness" involved with all parties for this to get swept under the rug.

Funny thing is my wife is from Ohio. All Dawg (because of me), but her sister and brother-in-law are BIG Bucknuts. When O$U hired UM, I told them that this man will come with some heavy luggage and don't be surprised if something happens within his first 5 years being there. They laughed it off and I just said "Wait and see!"

Now they are seeing..........

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@ghostofuga1 said:

@pgjackson said:

Funny thing is my wife is from Ohio. All Dawg (because of me), but her sister and brother-in-law are BIG Bucknuts. When O$U hired UM, I told them that this man will come with some heavy luggage and don't be surprised if something happens within his first 5 years being there. They laughed it off and I just said "Wait and see!"

And I’m sure they are convinced this is all a witch hunt

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy said:
    I think Mel would be in their top 5 or so to pick from.

I think Mel would be a good choice....no chance in hell he would ever get the job though...I still remember a few years back when Shula was hired over Crooms

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ghostofuga1 said:

@pgjackson said:

But nothing happened in the first 5 years

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@BoulderDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@pgjackson said:

But nothing happened in the first 5 years

Because they won a Natty. Automatic Mulligan....

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lie about him being in policy and suspend

Priceless. Hope your pops is OK.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just getting up to speed on this thread. Interesting to read everyone's different takes. I agree with those who say: (a) OSU must fire Meyer in the current political climate; (b) he will likely find work within a year or two, because he wins games; (c) it will not be at ND; (d) Louisville probably can't hire him given everything they've been through; but, (e) there are any number of programs who could, and who would strongly consider it, if the timing is right (for example and in no particular order): Auburn, Oregon, UNC, Maryland, Arkansas, West Va, and Utah.

He's still fairly young, he'll win wherever he goes, and he'd move back up the food chain quickly.

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did anybody else smell something fishy about the "secret meeting" that OSU officials had, whence came the leak about Meyer getting a "time-served" verdict?
    http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180820/ohio-state-will-decide-urban-meyers-fate-wednesday
    Stinks of corruption.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lie about him being in policy and suspend

@DobroMattInOz said:
    Did anybody else smell something fishy about the "secret meeting" that OSU officials had, whence came the leak about Meyer getting a "time-served" verdict?
    http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180820/ohio-state-will-decide-urban-meyers-fate-wednesday
    Stinks of corruption.

The "decision" was made weeks ago. The investigation is just window-dressing. One, possibly two game suspension, then he's good to go. They will act as if the suspension is a HUGE deal and talk sanctimoniously about fulfilling their ethical duty. Urbz won't apologize or admit to any wrong-doing, but will throw a bit of change at a battered-women's shelter and write a book about his commitment to this issue next year.

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm hoping that McMurphy has one last bomb to drop that will corner Meyer and the OSU board after they let him off, so as to give OSU every chance possible to do the wrong thing publicly, rather than force them to do the right thing.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

If he gets fired in Columbus, he has the perfect landing spot in Cincinnati.

CUM played his college ball at the University of Cincinnati. Marvin Lewis is the Mark Richt of the NFL, nice guy, but he can’t win a playoff game. Cincinnati has very low standards for player conduct with PAC Man Jones, Burfect (sic) and Joe Mixon.

Mike Brown the Owner of the Bengals is the son of Paul Brown, the former coach of the Bengals, Browns and t O$U. As Yogi would say, “Deja View All Over Again”

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DJYCMB/nov-27-2010-columbus-ohio-united-states-of-america-a-sign-honoring-DJYCMB.jpg