Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What is the verdict of the OSU investigation?

124»

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    If he gets fired in Columbus, he has the perfect landing spot in Cincinnati.

Interesting thought. I think you're half right. Meyer could very well end up at the University of Cincinnati. (I should have included that on my short list.) But he cannot go to the Bengals, at least not as a head coach. College coaches ascend to the NFL, under optimal circumstances. They don't land there, under a cloud.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:

@BobcatGrad said:

Interesting thought. I think you're half right. Meyer could very well end up at the University of Cincinnati. (I should have included that on my short list.) But he cannot go to the Bengals, at least not as a head coach. College coaches ascend to the NFL, under optimal circumstances. They don't land there, under a cloud.

I think you make a good point, but we live in a different world these days. The NFL floats in some Dark Clouds these days and someone like Mike Brown who has placed such a low emphasis on character and has been accepting of such mediocre results would be more willing to hire someone like CUM.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    Lie and let him go right back to work

@BobcatGrad said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@BobcatGrad said:

I think you make a good point, but we live in a different world these days. The NFL floats in some Dark Clouds these days and someone like Mike Brown who has placed such a low emphasis on character and has been accepting of such mediocre results would be more willing to hire someone like CUM.

But probably not pay him

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    So I get a text from my sister from the emergency room in Columbus this afternoon that my Dad had fallen in the kitchen today. He was bleeding from a cut on his head and may have broken his arm.

Feeling a bit helpless in Richmond I thought I would call my Mom at their house to see how she was doing. While we are chatting she said “Hold on a Second”, she comes back on line and I asked if she had gotten an update from my sister; “No, I have the TV on and they had a picture of Urban and I wanted to see what the update was”.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope and pray all is well.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited August 2018

Word on the street is ol' Urb is pushing back on a suspension. Wants time served to be his punishment. Can't wait for this POS to finally go down. Not happening with this scandal though. Someone is going to have to die or have an incident in the shower with someone underage

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he'll keep his job and I honestly can't imagine Meyer complaining about a suspension....could be I guess...but then again, the longer this goes on the more I think they might fire him and are trying to hammer out an agreement

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Technically he’ll be suspended but it’ll be “time served.”
    Anyone who thinks they’ll actually fire him has their heart in the right place but also too much hope in humanity and belief that people do the right thing. Pains me to say it.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Fire Urban Liar

It does seem to be taking an unusually long time for them to make a decision. Usually these things are settled within days.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    It does seem to be taking an unusually long time for them to make a decision. Usually these things are settled within days.

IMHO: The "committee" has their finger in the wind and is waiting on it to die down before they announce that Urban's services will be retained- a decision they made before they ever met.

Fire Urban Liar

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@pgjackson said:

IMHO: The "committee" has their finger in the wind and is waiting on it to die down before they announce that Urban's services will be retained- a decision they made before they ever met.

That is very likely.

edited August 2018
    Fire Urban Liar

Well, I was wrong. I have lost all faith in that university to do the right thing. I think this decision will backfire on them big-time,

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lie about him being in policy and suspend

@pgjackson said:
    Well, I was wrong. I have lost all faith in that university to do the right thing. I think this decision will backfire on them big-time,

I think the #MeToo folks will want to weigh in on this and this will keep it in the headlines for a while. However, as long as kids can get free rides and further their ambitions of making it into the league, I don't see how this will affect his recruiting very much or at all. Collective memory is usually pretty short. Once the season starts, focus shifts to winning and not much else matters.

Fire Urban Liar

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

I think the #MeToo folks will want to weigh in on this and this will keep it in the headlines for a while. However, as long as kids can get free rides and further their ambitions of making it into the league, I don't see how this will affect his recruiting very much or at all. Collective memory is usually pretty short. Once the season starts, focus shifts to winning and not much else matters.

You are probably correct. However, Meyer has now highlighted himself. He will now forever be under the microscope. I wonder if he can handle that kind of scrutiny.

It might make a difference in recruiting as Meyer will now have to answer to Moms around the country. Any facade of purity that he had before is now destroyed. I believe there are lots of players who care about that stuff. He is going to miss out on a lot of guys who don't want to associated with that kind of behavior. Which may leave him with guys who don't really care about that... who just want to make it to the NFL by any means possible. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but this may have repercussions down the road.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

You are probably correct. However, Meyer has now highlighted himself. He will now forever be under the microscope. I wonder if he can handle that kind of scrutiny.

It might make a difference in recruiting as Meyer will now have to answer to Moms around the country. Any facade of purity that he had before is now destroyed. I believe there are lots of players who care about that stuff. He is going to miss out on a lot of guys who don't want to associated with that kind of behavior. Which may leave him with guys who don't really care about that... who just want to make it to the NFL by any means possible. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but this may have repercussions down the road.

Man, I guess I'm losing faith in people in general, but I wonder if this will be more than a one season blip on Urban Liar's recruiting radar. If the guy has a history of getting recruits to the NFL, and as a parent you don't have proof of wrong doing on his part--there will be plenty of folks who will let this go. Had it been coach-player sexual abuse that might make a difference.

Fire Urban Liar

@JayDog said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Man, I guess I'm losing faith in people in general, but I wonder if this will be more than a one season blip on Urban Liar's recruiting radar. If the guy has a history of getting recruits to the NFL, and as a parent you don't have proof of wrong doing on his part--there will be plenty of folks who will let this go. Had it been coach-player sexual abuse that might make a difference.

True, but I assume every player OSU goes after will have dozens of offers from all the top schools in the country. Might make players at least pause a moment and consider other schools before signing with mighty OSU. And although this particular case doesn't involve player abuse and misconduct, a lot of dirt is surfacing in that regard...particularly in his fla days.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

The #MeToo folks might be focusing on Asia Argento too much to worry about this, although they could jump in on this to deflect from that backlash.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lie about him being in policy and suspend

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

The #MeToo folks might be focusing on Asia Argento too much to worry about this, although they could jump in on this to deflect from that backlash.

Maybe an English major amongst us can tell if that situation qualifies as irony. What a world we are living in.