Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What about You, Al Bundy?

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We scour this site religiously to get a better feel for the UGA kids. We know all about them. What about y'all? What is your all time highlight? No lying. I played 1 year of small college basketball. I did once score 34 points in a men's league basketball game. That's about it.

Comments

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ed O’Neill, shown above, is known as Al Bundy and the patriarch in Modern Family.

In his younger days, he was actually an UDFA with Pittsburgh Steelers who played at Youngstown State.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Reeldawg said:
    Ed O’Neill, shown above, is known as Al Bundy and the patriarch in Modern Family.

In his younger days, he was actually an UDFA with Pittsburgh Steelers who played at Youngstown State.

He actually began his college football career at Ohio U before transferring to Youngstown St. He partied too much and feuded with his coach at Ohio U.

He was a defensive lineman..

Was signed as an UDFA by Pittsburgh in 1969, but was waived in training camp.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Played one year of football and ****. I was average to above average in tennis, soccer, basketball, and baseball. Figured out too late that endurance sports are more my bag. Even over 40, I can get my resting heart rate into the low 30's if I train enough.

Claims:

• Hit 4 consecutive 3's in a regulation game.
    • My first serve was well over 120mph throughout HS (just don't ask about my percentage.) It wasn't completely uncommon for me to serve a new ball, have it slide 3-4 feet on the ground on impact, and bounce through the fence after it went by my opponent.
    • My slider broke over 3ft at 12 years old. Literally had to start it out behind the batter's head for it to cross the plate. No one ever hit it in a game, though I never played varsity baseball.
  • Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

No. 80 is a Dawg who I still talk to often. He played LB with UAB, coached HS FB for a while, and now coaches elite SB.

No. 7 played baseball with Ole Miss and AAA Cubs (Iowa), but, like a million others, never got the call to the bigs.

No. 14 weighs 125 pounds if he's wearing wet jeans.

No. 21 inherited his shoulder pads from William "the Refrigerator" Perry.

No. 23 kicked a 54 yard FG in 10th grade and wanted to play for UGA, but their new coach, Ray Goff, said they had already had a kicker (some guy named John Kasay was about to graduate and they were signing a K/P transfer from Navy). He could have kicked at OkSt, but elected to play soccer in college. Quit after one season to focus on girls. As an adult he spends his time photo-shopping junk for the Dawgnation forum.

Plus, got that yoga thing going on too, except need to make circles with your thumbs and firsts. ;) Really appreciate your input/contributions here.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Swam and ran x country for CCHS in early 70's. Finished 7th in the 100 yd backstroke and was on the 4th place medley relay team in the Georgia state swim meet my sophmore year. Moved to NC and played football for 3 years. Yes, I spent an extra year. Played center, defensive end, and tight end. No swimming at the new HS. Went from CCHS which I believe was 3A back then to a school with 700 total kids.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

No. 80 is a Dawg who I still talk to often. He played LB with UAB, coached HS FB for a while, and now coaches elite SB.

No. 7 played baseball with Ole Miss and AAA Cubs (Iowa), but, like a million others, never got the call to the bigs.

No. 14 weighs 125 pounds if he's wearing wet jeans.

No. 21 inherited his shoulder pads from William "the Refrigerator" Perry.

No. 23 kicked a 54 yard FG in 10th grade and wanted to play for UGA, but their new coach, Ray Goff, said they had already had a kicker (some guy named John Kasay was about to graduate and they were signing a K/P transfer from Navy). He could have kicked at OkSt, but elected to play soccer in college. Quit after one season to focus on girls. As an adult he spends his time photo-shopping junk for the Dawgnation forum.

Plus, got that yoga thing going on too, except need to make circles with your thumbs and firsts. ;) Really appreciate your input/contributions here.

I distinctly remember the female photographer instructing us to put our hands on our knees, criss-cross-applesauce. We mumbled to each other like, "What kind of yoga crazy is this?" and HC Tim Perry (bald, mustachio) shouted, "JUST DO IT," like a drill sergeant. He despised picture day.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

I was no Al ''Bulldog Bundy;;, but I was a safety and slot receiver in HS, I didn't really mature physically till I was 19 though.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Starting qb all four year of high school. Threw for 179 and 4 tds first game (never came close to 4 again).
    1 year of football at west ga as a strong safety (split conference championship that year with Valdosta st when Kirby, Muschamp and Hatcher were all there)

Transferred to a Christian college near Chattanooga and played 3 years of rugby. Captain of the team and made a traveling all star team made of 5 states... that and $1 can buy me a cup of coffee... lol.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Starting qb all four year of high school. Threw for 179 and 4 tds first game (never came close to 4 again).
    1 year of football at west ga as a strong safety (split conference championship that year with Valdosta st when Kirby, Muschamp and Hatcher were all there)

Transferred to a Christian college near Chattanooga and played 3 years of rugby. Captain of the team and made a traveling all star team made of 5 states... that and $1 can buy me a cup of coffee... lol.

You get a discount on coffee? Then you're the best of us. Hat tip to you! All I get is to make lame jokes on the internet.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

A guy I work with is 5’8 (on a good day) said he played QB in high school and every drive was a TD. Every. Drive. How we didn’t recruit him I’ll never know...

Also at a recent turkey day football game I returned the first throw off for a touchdown. Let’s not mention I was a grown man playing against middle and high schoolers

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2X AJC All Gwinnett County baseball team 84-85. Played against Dave Perno at Clarke Central. I believe Derek Dooley pitched for them. He threw lefty I think. Long time ago though. Memories fade..,.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

I never missed a UWG game while I taught/coached there. I must have seen you play! Those were good teams back in the day. Who was your QB when you played at UWG?

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@Reeldawg said:

He actually began his college football career at Ohio U before transferring to Youngstown St. He partied too much and feuded with his coach at Ohio U.

He was a defensive lineman..

Was signed as an UDFA by Pittsburgh in 1969, but was waived in training camp.

The Head Coach at Ohio that time was Bill Hess who was a former assistant for W o o d y Hayes at OSU. Hess has some really good teams in the 60’s.

Paul Newman also attended Ohio University but did not graduate.

My football highlight at OU was sacking Thom Brennaman who was the Betta Kappa QB. Thom is the Cincinnati Reds TV play by play announcer and teams with Troy Aikman for Fox NFL games. Ironically I wound up attending OU on the recommendation of Mike Barnett who was the Bullpen catcher when I was the bat boy for the Yankees AAA team. Former Heisman winner Hop Cassidy was a coach and ironically Chris Welsh who was a pitcher does color with Thom.

This story about Dick Williams taking a blowtorch to Chris’s locker is a classic.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05/04/The-San-Diego-Padres-sold-pitcher-Chris-Welsh-to/6430420868800/

• Options

Great story. Dick Williams brooked no nonsense.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

I never missed a UWG game while I taught/coached there. I must have seen you play! Those were good teams back in the day. Who was your QB when you played at UWG?

I didn’t play as a freshman. I was behind Nate Coggins who was an all American. We had a pretty stellar team. That was back when Glen Spenser was there before he went to Ga Tech and Ok state.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Three sport letterman in football, basketball, and basketball. Played QB briefly but got beat out by the young Quez Green (UF, Bucs, etc. GREAT player) so ended up at SS. Played P, RF, and 3rd base in baseball and SG in basketball.
    Greatest game? I loved them all but in one of PC's playoff games had 5 tackles, 2 INTs, and 2 pass break ups. Very proud of that one.
    Side note... Didn't know Al Bundy played in real life but the name of the show is Married with Children, not Modern Family.
    Wish I could write more, but too many great times

• Options
    edited August 2018

@bmauldin said:

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

I didn’t play as a freshman. I was behind Nate Coggins who was an all American. We had a pretty stellar team. That was back when Glen Spenser was there before he went to Ga Tech and Ok state.

Nate could play, that’s for sure. Good teams in that era. Coach Spenser was a great one. I guess I saw you on the sidelines, then lol.