Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What's wrong with espn?

galyadawg16galyadawg16 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Just saw someone's reply on Mike Griffiths post that we dont like espn around here?

What's up with that? I understand espn has it's flaws, but c'mom. Espn provides tons of great sports coverage. And let's be honest, we all have spent hours tuned in.

So my question is what is the reasoning behind that comment? I'm new here, and I genuinely don't understand why an entire forum would be against ESPN (or at least why one commenter would feel that the entire forum is against espn)

Comments

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@galyadawg16 said:
    Just saw someone's reply on Mike Griffiths post that we dont like espn around here?

What's up with that? I understand espn has it's flaws, but c'mom. Espn provides tons of great sports coverage. And let's be honest, we all have spent hours tuned in.

So my question is what is the reasoning behind that comment? I'm new here, and I genuinely don't understand why an entire forum would be against ESPN (or at least why one commenter would feel that the entire forum is against espn)

Do some reading of previous posts and you'll get an idea of why.

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN = TMZ I’m not a fan of anything besides the games that air.

• Options
    galyadawg16galyadawg16 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Pretty much all the stuff I was thinking. And yeah, I don't like any of that either. But I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't like espn overall. ESPN is definitely worse now that it was 10 years ago, 15 years ago, etc. But I still love turning on college gameday on football Saturday mornings. And even though sportcenter isn't what it used to be, I still tune in from time to time.

If you guys are looking for a media outlet that you agree with 100 percent and has no biases, you're gonna be looking for a long time.

Overall, ESPN is still pretty great imo. I guess what I'm getting at is I thinks it's awesome that mike or anyone else from dawgnation would be working with espn

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't actively dislike ESPN but they can be a bit biased in their coverage. I watched the special where they revealed who had the best shots at the playoff and to win it. It was based on some metric they had come up with and Georgia, Clemson, and Bama were in the top 4, with the dawgs actually #3. Yet they spent more time talking about Bama (obviously as they were #1), and then Notre Dame, Washington, and others of the usual suspects than they did UGA or Clemson. Pollack was the only one who seemed to want to talk about Georgia and Clemson was hardly mentioned. Plus a lot of southern fans feel like they lobby a bit for teams outside the south not named Alabama. Even though with 3 southern teams last year I'm pretty sure they got great ratings.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Bama Bias

Bama has kind of earned it. You would have lost a lot of money betting against Bama the last 10 years.

• Options
    WayxGaDawgWayxGaDawg Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

For Example, ESPN did a rundown of top 25 teams in CFB, UGA is the 3rd ranked team on that list of 25 ESPN did not mention UGA! Not so much as a passing reference to last years accomplishments or this year's expectations! ESPN is a joke!

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WayxGaDawg said:
    For Example, ESPN did a rundown of top 25 teams in CFB, UGA is the 3rd ranked team on that list of 25 ESPN did not mention UGA! Not so much as a passing reference to last years accomplishments or this year's expectations! ESPN is a joke!

Yea I watched some crap
    On there the other day. They were saying how good Oklahoma was gonna be this yr. Never said a word about Georgia.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wrote that post, and I can only answer for myself. 1. Bias towards Big 10, esp. Ohio State. 2. Generally biased towards NYC / northeastern teams for pros. 3. Waaaay too political. Stick to sports. 4. I think they badly impact college schedules with tv times, although the money is nice. I hope this helps but don’t expect everyone agrees with me.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    I wrote that post, and I can only answer for myself. 1. Bias towards Big 10, esp. Ohio State. 2. Generally biased towards NYC / northeastern teams for pros. 3. Waaaay too political. Stick to sports. 4. I think they badly impact college schedules with tv times, although the money is nice. I hope this helps but don’t expect everyone agrees with me.

There was a time when it seemed every Sunday Night baseball game was either Yankees or Red Sox or Yankees vs Red Sox. Almost as if MLB was 2 teams.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN has the air time to “persuade” other media, voters, etc., in order to funnel down to the matchups they prefer. Doesn’t always work, of course, but there’s certainly an agenda. The ONLY way I ever watch ESPN is if it’s the only station carrying the Georgia game. Herbstreit makes me want to puke with the propaganda he spews.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@galyadawg16 said:
    Pretty much all the stuff I was thinking. And yeah, I don't like any of that either. But I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't like espn overall. ESPN is definitely worse now that it was 10 years ago, 15 years ago, etc. But I still love turning on college gameday on football Saturday mornings. And even though sportcenter isn't what it used to be, I still tune in from time to time.

If you guys are looking for a media outlet that you agree with 100 percent and has no biases, you're gonna be looking for a long time.

Overall, ESPN is still pretty great imo. I guess what I'm getting at is I thinks it's awesome that mike or anyone else from dawgnation would be working with espn

Written like someone who works for ESPN.
    Especially
    **** and
    Partial to
    Northeastern teams

Extra
    Snarky
    People with
    No Integrity

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

4 letter network is tired and outdated....people dont want to hear you talk they want to read your post and swipe on.....it was basically a monopoly so its a big giant....it will die slowly and painfully in the end....

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tiresome coverage of Lebron, politics and just poor talk about sports. SEC network is all I watch anymore and really the only channel worth watching.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want factual coverage of sports. Dont mind debates about teams, etc.. Don't mind pieces examining the lives of athletes every now and again. But I don't want to hear ESPN personalities virtue signaling and talking about social issues, politics, etc. I keep up with those issues through other means and I don't care about hearing the self righteous prattle of a media personality when I want a few hours of escapism.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

I saw something on twitter around a year ago that really hit home.

People who watch ESPN are people who get off around 5 go home and want to watch sports in their recliner with a cold beer in their hand. They're in the workplace all day talking about political BS and want to forget it all and see all of the TDs/Dunks/game winning threes/web gems/hat tricks. They don't want Jemele and all of the other biased opinions screaming at them thru a tv. Stick to what you're good at and you won't lose thousands of memberships/followers/fans every day.