Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Pour on the points or no?

MinterDawgMinterDawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good morning everyone. First time poster, so forgive me if this question has already been asked. With our out of conference games being what they are, and with the depth that we have, does Kirby let the offense run up the score to build the resume' for the playoffs??
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My opinion, just as a general rule and not just specific to your scenario:

vs P5 opponents: yes
    vs FCS opponents: no
    vs G5 opponents: depends. some are closer to P5 teams and some are closer to FCS

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Whatever Kirby thinks is best for the team moving forward. I see both sides. However, IMO we need to smoke them big based on our weak schedule.

• Options
    jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the back-ups can score, let em score

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    Put in backups once the game is well in hand. However, let them run the offense. They are one play away from being starters. No need to run flea-flickers or statue of liberty or anything but let the backups run the offense.

This ^^^ Need to get a honed edge on anyone who may play. Substitute with lower ranked players as the coaches see fit, but no one pulls their punches. Play for keeps when on the field. The goal is the natty, and all hands on deck is required to get there and to win it.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

It won't be a case of running up the score, just dominance, physicality and focus. No matter which group of Dawgs is on the field, they score six or seven td's on offense and two on defense. But in a nice way.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby will do what's best for the team. He won't stop scoring for the sake of manners, but he won't ''pour it on'' either.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@PTDawg said:
    Put in backups once the game is well in hand. However, let them run the offense. They are one play away from being starters. No need to run flea-flickers or statue of liberty or anything but let the backups run the offense.

@PTDawg said:

I mostly agree.
    Where I might differ slightly is in taking out the starters based on the game situation.
    This being game one and having SC the following week it's a time for developing and fine tuning. Some starters are inexperienced and will need more game experience, leaving those players in will be taking the long view.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Especially , for example, if you got a freshman receiver out there who needs some work on blocking. If he gets out there and his block catapults a 78yd TD run that's just good coaching to me

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep it simple but if the back up players score so be it. These teams get paid a lot for their efforts.

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Midnite_Train said:
    Run up the score with the first team absolutely not, but if the second and third stringers are out there scoring at will..
    :shrug:

This^

• Options

@orlando said:
    Keep it simple but if the back up players score so be it. These teams get paid a lot for their efforts.

Kirby will use this game as a preparation for SC and beyond. Whatever the offense does after salting the game away will result from his judgement on how to best accomplish that goal.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:

Kirby will use this game as a preparation for SC and beyond. Whatever the offense does after salting the game away will result from his judgement on how to best accomplish that goal.

Well said sir.

• Options

@Midnite_Train said:
    Especially , for example, if you got a freshman receiver out there who needs some work on blocking. If he gets out there and his block catapults a 78yd TD run that's just good coaching to me

It could be a freshman QB or RB who Kirby and Chaney wouldn't want to lay down as well.
    If Fields is in the game I would be surprised if he's just running out the clock.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BEACHDAWG said:
    It won't be a case of running up the score, just dominance, physicality and focus. No matter which group of Dawgs is on the field, they score six or seven td's on offense and two on defense. But in a nice way.

Haha I love the disclaimer "But in a nice way"

• Options

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:

Well said sir.

Kirby is as goal oriented as Saban, he won't be rash or timid.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Keep you foot on the gas and never let up......had enuff of that to last me a lifetime

• Options
    StatDawgStatDawg Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

The Dawgs will score somewhere between 40 and 60 points.......If you have a 40 point lead you will see lot of 3rd and 4th stringers however, more importantly this will give Kirby the opportunity to experiment

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We always said when the 2 go in they better score! Just because it’s moo up duty doesn’t mean it’s not tape. Especially this week I expect them to score twice because I don’t think us running out the clock will just be running out the clock. I honestly expect us to break a couple long runs for scores.

Now SEC opponents, due to the fact we play them every year or on a rotational base, it is better to get the game in hand and then not run it up. Just because they won’t forget about it. Aka auburn the 1st time around last year.