Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Pour on the points or no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep the starters in and press hard until there is a 28 point lead, then put in the backups and continue to try to score. If the other team can’t stop our second string, too bad. Style points matter, especially with our weak schedule. We can’t just win, we have to dominate.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get to 30-40 and put the backups in. No need to get into the 50s unless the backups are just killing it.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Keep the starters in and press hard until there is a 28 point lead, then put in the backups and continue to try to score. If the other team can’t stop our second string, too bad. Style points matter, especially with our weak schedule. We can’t just win, we have to dominate.

Style points won't matter, as long as we win comfortably.
    I still say this is a game of value as a training, tune up and evaluation tool for the most part. I'd wager that's how Kirby will coach it.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

I still say this is a game of value as a training, tune up and evaluation tool for the most part. I'd wager that's how Kirby will coach it.

A close game against UMass or Vandy will not go over well with the voters. I'm afraid "comfortable" won't be enough if we end up with a loss on the record.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

A close game against UMass or Vandy will not go over well with the voters. I'm afraid "comfortable" won't be enough if we end up with a loss on the record.

A 30 pt win in the opening game vs a 50 pt win won't matter in my opinion.

• Options
    DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Strictly talking about Austin Peay. Pouring it on depends on situation and time. If less than 5 minutes in game left and up by 50 we go for 3 passes inside the 20 to get a score that is pouring it on. If our Oline pushes them around and our RB's run free then its fair game. Honestly feel the same for any opponent we are facing. Pouring it on doesn't occur until minutes left in game. Coaches are free to pass and run normal scheme til that point .

• Options
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

A 30 pt win in the opening game vs a 50 pt win won't matter in my opinion.

True. You gain nothing by hammering the cupcakes. But a 50pt win at fla or Auburn would look awesome when voters are trying to pick the best 1-loss team. Remember when we barely squeaked by Nichols a couple of years ago? That can NEVER happen again.

I also remember 2008 when we started out preseason #1, then allowed GaSo to score 21 points and next week we were #2. Then we squeaked by SC 14-7. By week 4 were 4-0 and had been jumped by USC and OU in the polls who were absolutely blowing teams out. We went from #1 to #3 because we weren't destroying anyone.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@Acrum21 As opposed to fowl, lizards, tigers of any kind, "bald eagle!," yellow cool weather apparel, everybody's related on Rocky top.....wanna beat them...not in a nice way! #STEAMROLLA!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:
    Keep it simple but if the back up players score so be it. These teams get paid a lot for their efforts.

Kirby will use this game as a preparation for SC and beyond. Whatever the offense does after salting the game away will result from his judgement on how to best accomplish that goal.

FYI You @WCDawg are focusing on the first game. The OP mentioned the schedule. The topic is what UGA does for the season with regard to points. Almost everyone else is answering for the season.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No need to run up the score, but no need to change the game plan either no matter the string that is in there.

Payed to stop us and payed for a Uga “potential” win

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I say once we are up good let the younger guys get in and do as much as they can do.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all are in agreement - play young guys and see what happens. When we play against SEC schools, bury them. Make a statement that there’s one power in the east - UGA.