Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will be very glad when Andrew Thomas is back, BUT......

MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see a need to rush him back too early. Concerning that he's back practicing with the first team today, but "limping significantly" before practice and between reps. In rewatching the Missouri game, I closely watched his few series of play before he got rolled up on. Frankly, he looked really limited and uncomfortable, whiffing on a few blocks that he tried to make in space.

We can get by without him the next few weeks. I'm not a coach or doctor, but seems like the best course of action would be to let him heal up completely and have him 100% on Oct for LSU.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Completely agree and don’t understand the rush. If Derrick Barnett was still on the Vols it would make more sense. But I think we can get by with Cade at LT

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Standard care for a sprain, R.I.C.E.. It takes time, but as @Teddy said we aren't privy to all the details.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am afraid of Andrew Thomas playing against Tennessee He was not ready last week and suffered a setback. If Georgia needs Andrew against Tennessee the season is over anyway. I would much rather see him play some against Vanderbilt and be fully ready against LSU.

I am also bothered that Cade Mays seems to be the number one sub at both tackle and guard. It is obviously that he is a very talented player but I thought that both Trey Hill who also came in in January and Jamaree Salyer were equally talented. Justin Shaffer who was second team guard last year and seemed to play well when he replaced Ben. What does this say about our O-line depth?

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:
    I am afraid of Andrew Thomas playing against Tennessee He was not ready last week and suffered a setback. If Georgia needs Andrew against Tennessee the season is over anyway. I would much rather see him play some against Vanderbilt and be fully ready against LSU.

I am also bothered that Cade Mays seems to be the number one sub at both tackle and guard. It is obviously that he is a very talented player but I thought that both Trey Hill who also came in in January and Jamaree Salyer were equally talented. Justin Shaffer who was second team guard last year and seemed to play well when he replaced Ben. What does this say about our O-line depth?

Maybe Mayes just knows the playbook better. It’s not just about raw talent. Mays straight up manhandled USC right out of hte box. The dude hasn’t looked back. There is a lot more to playing OL than just technique, size and strength. Besides the QB, the OL is the most technical and mentally demanding position on the field.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let these guys rest and get back to health the next 3 weeks and make sure they are 100% for LSU

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

Seemed fine to me when he was back for the Mizzou game. Of course you’re going to re-injure your ankle when a 300+ guy rolls right over it. He would’ve been hurt whether he had been banged up before that play or not. And I’m taking Mays as just being better than we even thought. Regarding Hill and Salyer; Hill has been working to become a center, probably doesn’t have the reps at guard he needs. Salyer just got to campus a few months back, Cade got there in January. And if Mays is ahead of Schaffer, just refer to my first point above about Mays.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    Just going to have to trust the staff. We aren’t privy to the info they have.

In all honesty, knowing next to nothing about his ankle, I'm a little nervous about him playing on it. I'd be more than fine if they gave him another week. > @Catfish said:

Standard care for a sprain, R.I.C.E.. It takes time, but as @Teddy said we aren't privy to all the details.

I’m pretty sure they will be doing more than that - lots of range of motion, sensory stuff. I still would prefer a week more of rehab for him...not a trainer and don’t know his particulars so I’ll stifle myself for now.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I played on an injured ankle in high school. It sucks but it’s something you get use to by practicing and playing on it. It hurts when you aren’t doing anything. Not so much during the play.

I’m going to ingore the lumping because 1) everyone limps with an ankle injury. 2) those knee braces don’t necessarily bend

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    I don't see a need to rush him back too early. Concerning that he's back practicing with the first team today, but "limping significantly" before practice and between reps. In rewatching the Missouri game, I closely watched his few series of play before he got rolled up on. Frankly, he looked really limited and uncomfortable, whiffing on a few blocks that he tried to make in space.

We can get by without him the next few weeks. I'm not a coach or doctor, but seems like the best course of action would be to let him heal up completely and have him 100% on Oct for LSU.

Agreed. Only use him if we are getting whipped on the line. Don't think it happens.

• Options
    jgib11jgib11 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Let these guys rest and get back to health the next 3 weeks and make sure they are 100% for LSU

I agree completely. We have a lot of exciting young talent on the line that could get some experience and we can see what they can do. No need to rush back guys and they end up getting hurt worse when we really don’t need them.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s just hope Thomas is out there to set the tone in the first quarter / half and then is able to be done for the day

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he was mostly fine, until bad luck hit and he got rolled up again on the very same ankle. He (and us) are actually lucky it didn't get damaged again severely.