Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dan Enos

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I remember, he was Kirby's first choice for OC but he had a clause in his contract prohibiting him from leaving Arkansas and going to another SEC school. Well, now he's at Bama coaching QB's and is listed as assistant Head Coach. Can't help but think he is playing a big part in Tua's and Bama's early success on offense. That and promoting Locksley (former WR coach) to OC is matching what we are seeing on the football field. Hearing his name on the podcast earlier this week reminded me that Kirby did try to hire this guy right from the jump. As much as it hurts Bama to lose coaches every year I believe they benefit from the perspective of always having some new and fresh coaches/ideas circulating the meeting rooms.

Comments

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    From what I remember, he was Kirby's first choice for OC but he had a clause in his contract prohibiting him from leaving Arkansas and going to another SEC school. Well, now he's at Bama coaching QB's and is listed as assistant Head Coach. Can't help but think he is playing a big part in Tua's and Bama's early success on offense. That and promoting Locksley (former WR coach) to OC is matching what we are seeing on the football field. Hearing his name on the podcast earlier this week reminded me that Kirby did try to hire this guy right from the jump. As much as it hurts Bama to lose coaches every year I believe they benefit from the perspective of always having some new and fresh coaches/ideas circulating the meeting rooms.

Agree. I think Enos is definitely a factor here. From what I've seen of Hurts this season, he looks like a better QB as well.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Touché brother

• Options
    jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

But didn’t bringing in Cheney help with aquiring Pittman as a package deal? If so then I’m glad we got Cheney instead haha

• Options

@jtdawg2020 said:
    But didn’t bringing in Cheney help with aquiring Pittman as a package deal? If so then I’m glad we got Cheney instead haha

Well Enos was the OC at the same time Pitt Boss was the line coach at Arky so they were definitely familiar. But if I had to guess, after we whiffed on Enos, Pitt probably made the suggestion? Who knows. I liked the JC hire because he seemed like an OC lifer

• Options

How good is Jay Johnson? Maybe him and Chaney switch spots and let's see what happens. Heck let Coley call some shots, he's co-offensive coordinator now right?

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:
    How good is Jay Johnson? Maybe him and Chaney switch spots and let's see what happens. Heck let Coley call some shots, he's co-offensive coordinator now right?

I was hoping Jay Johnson would drastically help out offense. Still early and he might. He has been an up-tempo, record setting OC at prior stops

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enos followed Cheney as OC at Arky the same way Matt Canada followed Cheney at Pitt.

I recall a story from when we hired Cheney that Cheney left Arky after butting heads about what he wanted to do. He left, Enos took over, and Enos was allowed to do what Cheney had wanted to... And it worked.

This isn't to say that Enos isn't good, but there's an argument out there that some people who have followed Cheney have reaped some rewards from seeds he planted.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:

Are you sure Coley isn't having some major input?

• Options

@moos Good insight. They did spread the ball around a good bit when they had Brandon Allen. Senior year he had about 3500 yards

• Options

@donm said:

@greygoose01 said:

That is what I’m trying to find out

• Options

@greygoose01 said:

@donm said:

@greygoose01 said:

That is what I’m trying to find out

I'd bet yes. Kirby really wanted to keep him here... who knows what kind of freedom Kirby allows him to have in that area

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m really hoping like some have said been making it hard on ourselves. To cause some adversity and not winning so easy, developing toughness. I hope in practice we’re throwing it around more and come LSU we light it up for 350 and 3-4 tds.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing wrong with the staff we have.we are not Bama.5-0 40+ pys a game the team us on the right track.maybe this isnt pur year to win it all but its coming mo doubt

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enos followed Brian Kelly and the Champions of Life Coach at Central Michigan as Head Coach and was not very popular with a losing record. He bolted to be the OC at Arkansas before he could be fired.

Does not mean he is not an excellent OC / Assistant HC, but thought I would mention it since I follow the MAC.

Speaking of the MAC, the Ohio Bobcats played future UGA opponent UMass last weekend and Ohio set a School Record of 664 yards offense. QB Nathan Rourke of Canada (Alabama HS) ran for 189 yards on 16 carries and was 27 of 32 for 270 yards.

UMass did put up 42 points on the board. We were not sure if DC Jimmy Burrow was at the Ohio game or the LSU game.