Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Congrats to Chase Elliott for his win at Dover today..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited October 2018 in General

His 2nd win of the year advances him to the next rd of the playoff.
NASCAR is on a respirator, maybe a grassroots legacy winning will breathe some life into the sport.

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's clearly the fault of millennials. They can't wait for results - instant gratification and all. Plus, the noise makes listening to their devices very difficult. Pretty clear that CMR has lost control of millennials.

• Options

@donm said:
    It's clearly the fault of millennials. They can't wait for results - instant gratification and all. Plus, the noise makes listening to their devices very difficult. Pretty clear that CMR has lost control of millennials.

Tis a paradox.

• Options

WOW, has a sport ever fallen so far so fast ?
    NASCAR was a popular topic on boards like this 10 years ago.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Wasn’t that long ago they were talking about its crazy growth.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

I kind of feel like Nascar and Golf both have major peaks and valleys in popularity

• Options
    edited October 2018

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

I kind of feel like Nascar and Golf both have major peaks and valleys in popularity

Golf has grown in popularity overall. It's just the Tiger affect that has been missing recently.
    NASCAR has lost much of it's audience on a fundamental level.
    Golf will be fine, NASCAR may never be the draw it was in the 1990s thru the early 2000s.
    Not only have tv audiences and live gates diminished, sponsors continue to bail.
    Lowes has a track named for it and have sponsored Jimmy Johnson his entire career, they are leaving the sport after this season, Home Depot has already left, as have many other businesses who were heavily invested in the sport.

• Options

Something else.
    Next year NASCAR is mandating lowered horsepower for all cars in 20 races. This constant tinkering just kills the continuity of the sport. The name of the premier series changes, points systems change, the playoff system is never the same from season to season, etc, etc. This and the loss of the southern flavor of the sport has alienated many of it's formerly rabid core fans in my opinion. Then there's Jimmy Johnson, Mr flavorless gum, his dominance has paralleled the sport's decline.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Golf has grown in popularity overall. It's just the Tiger affect that has been missing recently.
    Golf will be fine, NASCAR may never be the draw it was in the 1990s thru the early 2000s.
    Not only have tv audiences and live gates diminished, sponsors continue to bail.
    Lowes has a track named for it and have sponsored Jimmy Johnson his entire career, they are leaving the sport after this season, Home Depot has already left, as have many other businesses who were heavily invested in the sport.

Why the drop in attendance/interest. Is that a "millennial" influence?

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

You're referring to NASCAR or golf ?
    I think golf is just about Tiger, promoters clung to him too long at the expense of promoting up nd coming players in my opinion. Like The NBA when Jordan retired the sport is still fundamentally sound, it will rebound.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

I think golf is just about Tiger, promoters clung to him too long at the expense of promoting up nd coming players in my opinion. Like The NBA when Jordan retired the sport is still fundamentally sound, it will rebound.

NASCAR. I think the article was discussing it's loss of favor and golf holding its own.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

NASCAR. I think the article was discussing it's loss of favor and golf holding its own.

Yep, NASCAR is in real trouble, golf has a strong core audience around the world.
    NASCAR has several years left on a lucrative tv package signed when the sport was still strong. When that runs out and if sponsors keep abandoning the sport, where will the money come from ?

Also telling NASCAR has stopped listing drivers' winnings. Open a driver profile at ESPN and you'll see there is nothing listed since2015. Is that because payouts are going down ?

• Options

This all ties into Elliott finally starting to win. His Dad was the most popular driver among fans for 2 decades, though other drivers hated Bill's guts.
    If the sport can recapture the loyalty of former core fans with a new iconic grass roots winner, maybe it can stop the bleeding, or at least slow it down.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was huge into nascar years ago. Got interested because of a fantasy league. Almost never missed a race on tv. Even went to one in Texas and Darlington
    Problem: no Earnhardts, LaBontes, or a Gordon to pull for or hate. I have no interest any more

• Options

@RPMdawg said:
    I was huge into nascar years ago. Got interested because of a fantasy league. Almost never missed a race on tv. Even went to one in Texas and Darlington
    Problem: no Earnhardts, LaBontes, or a Gordon to pull for or hate. I have no interest any more

That's where Elliott might help the cause.
    The sport has lost it's regional flavor.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

At the risk of getting impaled on this forum, I never "got" NASCAR or Indy racing. It was like watching paint dry for me. Around and around 200 times or 250 times or whatever. An occasional pile up broke some monotony, but pretty much meh for me. Of course, I love track and field, which many others don't get. Different strokes.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

At the risk of getting impaled on this forum, I never "got" NASCAR or Indy racing. It was like watching paint dry for me. Around and around 200 times or 250 times or whatever. An occasional pile up broke some monotony, but pretty much meh for me. Of course, I love track and field, which many others don't get. Different strokes.

Really helps to hate or like a driver. Or it did for me. Hated Gordon . Liked Bobby LaBounte.