Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Christopher and Myles Hinton were in Athens Saturday...

2»

Comments

• Options
    superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They could both play close to home, compete for championships & get a GREAT education at UGA. This situation, at least with Chris, is starting to feel like Otis Reese. Starts to make visits for games during the season, becomes comfortable with the Saturdays in Athens & Michigan starts to feel a LONG ways from home....

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superdawg said:
    They could both play close to home, compete for championships & get a GREAT education at UGA. This situation, at least with Chris, is starting to feel like Otis Reese. Starts to make visits for games during the season, becomes comfortable with the Saturdays in Athens & Michigan starts to feel a LONG ways from home....

They’re not originally from Georgia, so that scenario doesn’t really apply to them. Seems the staff will need to convince them on the academic side to get them.

• Options
    superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@Teddy said:

@superdawg said:

They’re not originally from Georgia, so that scenario doesn’t really apply to them. Seems the staff will need to convince them on the academic side to get them.

But they do live in Georgia now....easy for parents, when I say close to home, I mean literally their house...UGA continues to climb in academic rankings, so there is that

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still call BS on these 5-star recruits who talk about academic reputation. These guys typically don’t graduate, and go to the NFL early. Once that happens, nobody gives a crap if you went to Stanford, Vandy, Mich, UGA, Iowa St, or South East Missouri Tech. UGA is not some bottom-dweller academic school. It’s one of the top public schools in the country. Picking Michigan over UGA because of academics is absurd. And please don’t quote me the US News and World report stats. All the schools on those lists are great schools.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2018

The Hintons glad they stopped by, but nothing to excited about based on their actions or words at this time. Mayne they stopped by as a favor to Dom. There buddy.

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    I still call BS on these 5-star recruits who talk about academic reputation. These guys typically don’t graduate, and go to the NFL early. Once that happens, nobody gives a crap if you went to Stanford, Vandy, Mich, UGA, Iowa St, or South East Missouri Tech. UGA is not some bottom-dweller academic school. It’s one of the top public schools in the country. Picking Michigan over UGA because of academics is absurd. And please don’t quote me the US News and World report stats. All the schools on those lists are great schools.

Their parents graduated from Northwestern and Notre Dame, I’d say these aren’t your typical highly rated recruits. UGA is no slouch for sure, but UM and Stanford are more prestigious universities at this time.

• Options

@superdawg said:

@Teddy said:

@superdawg said:

But they do live in Georgia now....easy for parents, when I say close to home, I mean literally their house...UGA continues to climb in academic rankings, so there is that

Their parents are well off, I’m sure they can travel to games, move with their kids, or rent an apartment at said school(s). You see Swift’s parents at all the games. Their dad played in the NFL, pretty sure he and his wife are used to traveling to games every weekend... don’t get me wrong, I hope they commit to the G, but they’ve said all along it’s all about academics.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

Their parents graduated from Northwestern and Notre Dame, I’d say these aren’t your typical highly rated recruits. UGA is no slouch for sure, but UM and Stanford are more prestigious universities at this time.

These guys are in college to get to the NFL as quickly as possible. I’m just saying its unlikely they will graduate. And once you are done with the NFL nobody really cares what school you went to.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These guys are in college to get to the NFL as quickly as possible. I’m just saying its unlikely they will graduate. And once you are done with the NFL nobody really cares what school you went to.

I mean why would you assume that’s what the kids want? The NFL is really really dumb, most guys don’t make it there long and rookie salaries aren’t enough to retire on. Maybe they’ll make it, have good careers, and maybe they won’t. And if you’re out of the league after 2 years and need to find another job, bet your ass that Stanford degree matters.

I’m inclined to believe you with most kids, honestly it’s basically impossible to be a football player and put in the effort your peers do in the classroom unfortunately. But if these kids say they want to get a world class education while playing ball, why would we not believe them.

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,580 admin

Trust me on this. These two fellas are wired differently than any jock stereotype that you might have in your head.

Academics really really matter in that family.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

You’re making a very general statement, nothing they’ve said so far indicates that. So I’ll believe them. Even if they leave after 3 years, they would only have one year left to get a degree from a great school if they wanted.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    Trust me on this. These two fellas are wired differently than any jock stereotype that you might have in your head.

While Michigan is a great school academically wise, there is not a night and day difference between what UGA offers in terms of education and what Michigan offers

number 4 for michigan versus number 13 for UGA in terms of public school rankings

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@JeffSentell said:

While Michigan is a great school academically wise, there is not a night and day difference between what UGA offers in terms of education and what Michigan offers

number 4 for michigan versus number 13 for UGA in terms of public school rankings

Not sure what the "units" are in these rankings. What is the actual difference(s) between 4 and 5 or between 4 and 13?
    Seems a bit meaningless to me...just #'s from some arbitrary ranking system.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@JeffSentell said:

Not sure what the "units" are in these rankings. What is the actual difference(s) between 4 and 5 or between 4 and 13?
    Seems a bit meaningless to me...just #'s from some arbitrary ranking system.

Those US News and World Report rankings take research as being a big factor. They’re really more of a ranking of prestige that can stand in for comparing schools that are pretty far apart and again, for comparing “prestige”, but they’re also kind of meaningless for undergraduate students. I would say the biggest difference between big state schools is the admissions differences. For a more prestigious school you’ll generally be around other students who are smarter (on average, there are brilliant students at every university).

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are not too far off from MI, plus, who wants to live there? Stanford is another matter. We aren’t in that neighborhood. These guys will play wherever they want, and it won’t be in Athens. I hope I’m wrong, but chase the target you’ve got a shot at.

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@JeffSentell said:

My point exactly. I’m not buying the “I;m going to Michigan instead of UGA because of the academics” angle. I’m sure academics might be important, but seriously unless you want to be a doctor or a lawyer, nobody will give a crap where you went to school after being in the NFL. If it’s that important, there are better academic schools out there than Stanford and Michigan. Pick a service academy. Go to an Ivy League school.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    We are not too far off from MI, plus, who wants to live there? Stanford is another matter. We aren’t in that neighborhood. These guys will play wherever they want, and it won’t be in Athens. I hope I’m wrong, but chase the target you’ve got a shot at.

The reason UGA is in play from what I have heard is because Myles really likes Pittman and UGA. I believe the brothers will come as a package deal and do not want to split up. Myles is trying to pull Chris to UGA, but if he is unsuccessful in pulling Chris to UGA then he will follow him wherever he goes

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think our chances are very slim with these two. I definitely think we have more of a pull on the younger of the brothers, Myles than we do on Chris. Also, I genuinely believe academics are #1 for these two as well as his family. Having a parent graduate from NW should speak for itself in the academic department. If we somehow do pull these two I’d be extremely surprised. If not, I’m hoping they go to Stanford over Michigan.