Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What timing - It's National Dessert Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@donm said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    @donm, do I have to pick just one favorite? I like dessert in general. Some of my favorites include:
    Creme brûlée
    Tiramisu
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cup cookies- if you’re ever on Hilton Head Island, go get one at Sweet Carolina Cupcakes. It’s a cupcake, except made out of chocolate chip cookie. And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds.

You NEVER have to pick just one. An extension of my gastronomic theory says multiple dessert types are always preferable to single desserts, whenever possible.

Gotta say, I’m a big fan of your theory!

I’ve worked at it for quite some time.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm @JRT812 @levander

I second the AJ's recommendation- hole in the wall but the real deal- prefer that to Pappadeux's. I managed to get my hands on the family recipe for gumbo this weekend but need my mother to pass down the oral tradition. There are some key details (about process more than ingredients) that are not on the written page. I'll try to post that to the gumbo thread before the Florida game. Hard to get anything done quickly with mom these days.

As for dessert my mom makes a great pineapple cake. I'll try to get that recipe as well.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@scooterdawg said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:
    Oh and donm bro, I couldn’t find the gumbo national day thread. Never had it before. Did anyone post a recipe?

It takes a long time to make and there are a couple of things that make it possible to mess up. I’d really wait till you’re within a 100 miles of New Orleans and on the coast and try it at a restaurant before you try making it at home.

Well, I never plan on being in that state, but I thought it would be interesting to try something new. I have no problem with waiting though. Maybe I can find something similar here in Middle TN

I doubt it. I’m here near Atlanta, and the rare time I find it somewhere around, it’s not very good. But usually when I see seafood here, I turn the other way. My family is originally from the Gulf Coast though. A lot of people in Atlanta don’t know what seafood is supposed to taste like. So they probably don’t even know what it’s to very good.

Only place I know of to recommend in Atlanta is AJ’s Seafood. It’s a very casual place, bar type atmosphere, kind of near The Big Chicken in Marietta.

Post in a local message board and ask if anyone’s from the Gulf Coast and see if they say there’s any good restaurant gumbo around to try? If there is anyone, I bet they invite you to their house to try their gumbo before you get any good recommendations at a restaurant. But if you get invited to their house, maybe they’ll show you how to make it too?

Right on and those are some good suggestions. I may try the recommended restaurant in Atlanta the next time I am there

It looks almost like a dive when you come up to it. It’s not that bad. But it’s just a little corner place in a Kroger shopping center. Here’s the Yelp page for it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ajs-famous-seafood-and-poboys-marietta

There’s a fancier chain called Pappadeux’s (sp?) that I’ve been meaning to try, but haven’t.

The woman I’m currently talking to is originally from the South Carolina coast. Big shrimping and fresh seafood right off the boat area, and she says that Pappadeux is like the only restaurant in the Atlanta area that she’ll eat seafood at. I haven’t tried it but plan to. Might also have to check out the place you mentioned as I’m not terribly far from Mayretta. I’m like you in that I’d rather not eat seafood at all than to eat bad non-fresh stuff.

I went to Boston last year and I have to say they know seafood. Totally different than anything I have experienced in Florida.

Last time I had New England style seafood, me and a cousin just stopped at this little corner mom & pop type place out past Alpharetta in Midway. We were just in a hurrry and saw seafood on the sign and figured we’d try it. It was good, it was well prepared and everything. But there was no spices on it whatsoever. When we talked to the owner as we were leaving, he said he was from up North somewhere, don’t remember where now. And as we were in the car driving off, me and my cousin started talking and we figured out that that must have been New England style seafood. And what people meant when they said New Orleans seafood is spicy is that we actually use spices. Because there was like no discernible spices in that seafood we were eating at all. While we were eating it, we were even wondering if they had used very much salt. Or if they were the type of people who said you don’t need to put salt on seafood because there’s salt in the ocean.

Before that, I never knew what people meant before when they said New Orleans seafood is spicey. It has never tasted very spicey to me before. And I’m still not absolutely positive that’s what they mean. But I’m pretty sure that little Mom & Pop place we ate at was New Negland style seafood.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:
    Oh and donm bro, I couldn’t find the gumbo national day thread. Never had it before. Did anyone post a recipe?

It takes a long time to make and there are a couple of things that make it possible to mess up. I’d really wait till you’re within a 100 miles of New Orleans and on the coast and try it at a restaurant before you try making it at home.

Well, I never plan on being in that state, but I thought it would be interesting to try something new. I have no problem with waiting though. Maybe I can find something similar here in Middle TN

I doubt it. I’m here near Atlanta, and the rare time I find it somewhere around, it’s not very good. But usually when I see seafood here, I turn the other way. My family is originally from the Gulf Coast though. A lot of people in Atlanta don’t know what seafood is supposed to taste like. So they probably don’t even know what it’s to very good.

Only place I know of to recommend in Atlanta is AJ’s Seafood. It’s a very casual place, bar type atmosphere, kind of near The Big Chicken in Marietta.

Post in a local message board and ask if anyone’s from the Gulf Coast and see if they say there’s any good restaurant gumbo around to try? If there is anyone, I bet they invite you to their house to try their gumbo before you get any good recommendations at a restaurant. But if you get invited to their house, maybe they’ll show you how to make it too?

Right on and those are some good suggestions. I may try the recommended restaurant in Atlanta the next time I am there

It looks almost like a dive when you come up to it. It’s not that bad. But it’s just a little corner place in a Kroger shopping center. Here’s the Yelp page for it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ajs-famous-seafood-and-poboys-marietta

There’s a fancier chain called Pappadeux’s (sp?) that I’ve been meaning to try, but haven’t.

The woman I’m currently talking to is originally from the South Carolina coast. Big shrimping and fresh seafood right off the boat area, and she says that Pappadeux is like the only restaurant in the Atlanta area that she’ll eat seafood at. I haven’t tried it but plan to. Might also have to check out the place you mentioned as I’m not terribly far from Mayretta. I’m like you in that I’d rather not eat seafood at all than to eat bad non-fresh stuff.

I’ll eat frozen shrimp, as long as it’s been frozen responsibly. Not in some boat in Thailand by fisherman who are overworked and not paid nearly enough and will end up at your local Publix... Shrimp does freeze well if you freeze it right.

The rest of it though, forget about trying to freeze it. Maybe if you have industrial equipment that can freeze it really fast so the cell walls don’t have time to break down, I don’t know.. But freezing it yourself, forget about it.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah my mom and her both get fresh shrimp and freeze em themselves...the island where my family has their beach properties is an island over from the marina that they used for filming the shrimping parts of Forrest Gump. There's a dive across the highway from it that gets the shrimp off the boat and fries them up. Some of the best I've ever had.