Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What timing - It's National Dessert Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With so many of us feeling down, angry, depressed and/or any other negative feelings, let's treat ourselves to a wonderful dessert today. Maybe it will make things look not so bad, at least for a while. Other than PB&J (a big winner) what's your favorite dessert. Recipes welcome. If dessert is not your thing wait until tomorrow - you have the perfect day coming up.

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wooohooo donm bro with the win. Key lime pie for me all day. Oooor real banana pudding out of the oven. I can eat it warm or cold as long as it’s real

May get the wife on it today

Oh and donm bro, I couldn’t find the gumbo national day thread. Never had it before. Did anyone post a recipe?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Oh and donm bro, I couldn’t find the gumbo national day thread. Never had it before. Did anyone post a recipe?

I'll bump it. I can't recall if we ever got a recipe. Moved on to desserts fairly quickly.

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

I'll bump it. I can't recall if we ever got a recipe. Moved on to desserts fairly quickly.

Right on my man. Digging up key lime recipes as we speak. May not go well with chili I am currently working on

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

Right on my man. Digging up key lime recipes as we speak. May not go well with chili I am currently working on

It's a perfect match...the cool citrus to balance out the fiery chili. My theory of gastronomy is that any food I like goes perfectly with any other food I like. It's a theory I've been working on for over 70 years now and I think I have it just about perfected!

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

It's a perfect match...the cool citrus to balance out the fiery chili. My theory of gastronomy is that any food I like goes perfectly with any other food I like. It's a theory I've been working on for over 70 years now and I think I have it just about perfected!

Interesting take and you may be on to something.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol @donm. Do you have an alert of some kind that tells you which National Day for X it is every morning? Personally I do like a good key lime pie with the caveat that it needs to have a graham cracker crust. I’ve seen variations lately that use other things including crushed nuts. No thanks.

It sounds cliche but I really love a homemade chocolate chip cookie. I have a recipe for thick and chewy ones made totally from scratch that people have said is amazing and I often get requests for(though I’m too lazy to do it other than holidays mostly).

I also have to say that a quality ice cream can be truly a religious experience. One nice modern food trend(along with quality burger places) is that there is really good stuff available from both shops and your grocery store freezer. Gelato in particular can be very good but there’s more quality options than ever as far as frozen delectables go.

@scooterdawg said:
    Lol @donm. Do you have an alert of some kind that tells you which National Day for X it is every morning? Personally I do like a good key lime pie with the caveat that it needs to have a graham cracker crust. I’ve seen variations lately that use other things including crushed nuts. No thanks.

It sounds cliche but I really love a homemade chocolate chip cookie. I have a recipe for thick and chewy ones made totally from scratch that people have said is amazing and I often get requests for(though I’m too lazy to do it other than holidays mostly).

I also have to say that a quality ice cream can be truly a religious experience. One nice modern food trend(along with quality burger places) is that there is really good stuff available from both shops and your grocery store freezer. Gelato in particular can be very good but there’s more quality options than ever as far as frozen delectables go.

Scooterdawg bro.... only graham cracker crust and blow your whistle if anyone try’s to give you something different. It has to be cold as well

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

It takes a long time to make and there are a couple of things that make it possible to mess up. I’d really wait till you’re within a 100 miles of New Orleans and on the coast and try it at a restaurant before you try making it at home.

edited October 2018

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

It takes a long time to make and there are a couple of things that make it possible to mess up. I’d really wait till you’re within a 100 miles of New Orleans and on the coast and try it at a restaurant before you try making it at home.

Well, I never plan on being in that state, but I thought it would be interesting to try something new. I have no problem with waiting though. Maybe I can find something similar here in Middle TN

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

Well, I never plan on being in that state, but I thought it would be interesting to try something new. I have no problem with waiting though. Maybe I can find something similar here in Middle TN

I doubt it. I’m here near Atlanta, and the rare time I find it somewhere around, it’s not very good. But usually when I see seafood here, I turn the other way. My family is originally from the Gulf Coast though. A lot of people in Atlanta don’t know what seafood is supposed to taste like. So they probably don’t even know what it’s to very good.

Only place I know of to recommend in Atlanta is AJ’s Seafood. It’s a very casual place, bar type atmosphere, kind of near The Big Chicken in Marietta.

Post in a local message board and ask if anyone’s from the Gulf Coast and see if they say there’s any good restaurant gumbo around to try? If there is anyone, I bet they invite you to their house to try their gumbo before you get any good recommendations at a restaurant. But if you get invited to their house, maybe they’ll show you how to make it too?

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

I doubt it. I’m here near Atlanta, and the rare time I find it somewhere around, it’s not very good. But usually when I see seafood here, I turn the other way. My family is originally from the Gulf Coast though. A lot of people in Atlanta don’t know what seafood is supposed to taste like. So they probably don’t even know what it’s to very good.

Only place I know of to recommend in Atlanta is AJ’s Seafood. It’s a very casual place, bar type atmosphere, kind of near The Big Chicken in Marietta.

Post in a local message board and ask if anyone’s from the Gulf Coast and see if they say there’s any good restaurant gumbo around to try? If there is anyone, I bet they invite you to their house to try their gumbo before you get any good recommendations at a restaurant. But if you get invited to their house, maybe they’ll show you how to make it too?

Right on and those are some good suggestions. I may try the recommended restaurant in Atlanta the next time I am there

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

Right on and those are some good suggestions. I may try the recommended restaurant in Atlanta the next time I am there

It looks almost like a dive when you come up to it. It’s not that bad. But it’s just a little corner place in a Kroger shopping center. Here’s the Yelp page for it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ajs-famous-seafood-and-poboys-marietta

There’s a fancier chain called Pappadeux’s (sp?) that I’ve been meaning to try, but haven’t.

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

It looks almost like a dive when you come up to it. It’s not that bad. But it’s just a little corner place in a Kroger shopping center. Here’s the Yelp page for it.

There’s a fancier chain called Pappadeux’s (sp?) that I’ve been meaning to try, but haven’t.

Thanks my man!

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm, do I have to pick just one favorite? I like dessert in general. Some of my favorites include:
    Creme brûlée
    Tiramisu
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cup cookies- if you’re ever on Hilton Head Island, go get one at Sweet Carolina Cupcakes. It’s a cupcake, except made out of chocolate chip cookie. And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

The woman I’m currently talking to is originally from the South Carolina coast. Big shrimping and fresh seafood right off the boat area, and she says that Pappadeux is like the only restaurant in the Atlanta area that she’ll eat seafood at. I haven’t tried it but plan to. Might also have to check out the place you mentioned as I’m not terribly far from Mayretta. I’m like you in that I’d rather not eat seafood at all than to eat bad non-fresh stuff.

@scooterdawg said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

The woman I’m currently talking to is originally from the South Carolina coast. Big shrimping and fresh seafood right off the boat area, and she says that Pappadeux is like the only restaurant in the Atlanta area that she’ll eat seafood at. I haven’t tried it but plan to. Might also have to check out the place you mentioned as I’m not terribly far from Mayretta. I’m like you in that I’d rather not eat seafood at all than to eat bad non-fresh stuff.

I went to Boston last year and I have to say they know seafood. Totally different than anything I have experienced in Florida.

@scooterdawg said:

yes, I get a daily note about what day(s) it is/are. Most days have several themes. I try to connect the theme to the board, albeit a little loosely at times. No problem with matching it tomorrow - National Grouch Day.

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    @donm, do I have to pick just one favorite? I like dessert in general. Some of my favorites include:
    Creme brûlée
    Tiramisu
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cup cookies- if you’re ever on Hilton Head Island, go get one at Sweet Carolina Cupcakes. It’s a cupcake, except made out of chocolate chip cookie. And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds.

You NEVER have to pick just one. An extension of my gastronomic theory says multiple dessert types are always preferable to single desserts, whenever possible.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    Creme brûlée
    Tiramisu
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie

You NEVER have to pick just one. An extension of my gastronomic theory says multiple dessert types are always preferable to single desserts, whenever possible.

Gotta say, I’m a big fan of your theory!