Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tua over rated?

13»

Comments

• Options
    striker42striker42 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua is legit. However he's still overrated. He's getting too much credit for that offense (QB's often get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure). If Fromm was taking snaps at Bama and Tua was under center in Athens, we'd probably all be raving about how great Fromm looks.

• Options
    706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@striker42 said:
    Tua is legit. However he's still overrated. He's getting too much credit for that offense (QB's often get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure). If Fromm was taking snaps at Bama and Tua was under center in Athens, we'd probably all be raving about how great Fromm looks.

So you’re saying it’s the coaching/play calling?

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@striker42 said:

I agree it is easy to look good as a Bama QB, but I have never seen a QB drop so many bombs right on the money before. His deep ball is unparalleled. He is doing things that have never been done before at the position. Now, if he picked Arizona or Colorado (which were in his top 4 out of HS), he might not be having this kind of season...but he'd still be one of the top passers in the country. The LSU game might tell us a lot about him.

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@striker42 said:

More that it has a lot to do with being surrounded by ridiculous talent. Tua is one of the top QBs in the country, no doubt, but a lot of the hype overlooks the contributions of the guys around Tua. The line giving him tons of time to throw, the receivers catching everything close, the run game taking pressure off him, etc. It's taking an exceptional QB and making him legendary.

• Options
    706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@striker42 said:

@706Dawg said:

@striker42 said:

More that it has a lot to do with being surrounded by ridiculous talent. Tua is one of the top QBs in the country, no doubt, but a lot of the hype overlooks the contributions of the guys around Tua. The line giving him tons of time to throw, the receivers catching everything close, the run game taking pressure off him, etc. It's taking an exceptional QB and making him legendary.

Interesting take. PFF rates our OL as better as pass pro. We have equal talent at WR on paper based on recruiting rankings. We avg. 5.8 yards per carry, Bama 5.2.

I think these stats indicate Tua is as advertised. To your earlier post of “if Jake was there and Tua here” I do think we’d still be undefeated. Unfortunately, Tua is the best QB we’ve seen since Watson, and Tua is doing something unprecedented in the toughest conference. We also need better QB play because numbers indicate we have everything we need to achieve our goals this year.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua is super talented as is the rest of the team but man he is one lucky dude, even when he just throws a blind heave it lands in a receivers hands usually in stride for 6
    but that horse shoe will fall out I just hope Dawgs are there to take advantage

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@striker42 said:

@706Dawg said:

@striker42 said:

Interesting take. PFF rates our OL as better as pass pro. We have equal talent at WR on paper based on recruiting rankings. We avg. 5.8 yards per carry, Bama 5.2.

I think these stats indicate Tua is as advertised. To your earlier post of “if Jake was there and Tua here” I do think we’d still be undefeated. Unfortunately, Tua is the best QB we’ve seen since Watson, and Tua is doing something unprecedented in the toughest conference. We also need better QB play because numbers indicate we have everything we need to achieve our goals this year.

I think any analysis that lists our OL as better at pass protection than Bama's is fatally flawed.

Recruiting rankings at WR doesn't tell the whole story. No team is better at coaching up talent than Bama. Our WR corp has been a bit of a fiasco this year. Smart called them out for not running correct routes. Bottom line, Bama's WR corp is outperforming ours by orders of magnitude.

And average yards per carry also doesn't tell the whole story. Chaney's reluctance to lean on the running game is a running joke at this point.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

I’m not saying he is the greatest QB ever, but I’d be thrilled if the Falcons draft him in a couple of years to replace Ryan.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Tua is super talented as is the rest of the team but man he is one lucky dude, even when he just throws a blind heave it lands in a receivers hands usually in stride for 6
    but that horse shoe will fall out I just hope Dawgs are there to take advantage

If he made one or two blind heaves that were caught, I might think luck. Everything he throws deep seems to get caught. I suspect more than just blind luck. Besides, who doesn't want a lucky QB? He's lucky enough to have 0 (zero) interceptions.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part of Tua's greatness is his great WR corps. They are very fast and hard to cover. One of them is just about always open. Tua has the mobility to extend plays long enough for that to happen. Finally, he is accurate enough to shoot the wing off of a housefly at 50 yards with a football. Deadly combo. It isn't luck. His biggest Heisman risk is staying healthy.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@RedBlackDawg said:
    He’s got a stronger arm than Elway. More accurate than Montana. Runs as fast as Vick, but only 30 lb heavier. Shoo in #1 pick for the 2020 draft. Yeah, other than that, he’s way over rated...

He's a modern day Steve Young in my opinion

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ftn49 said:

@RedBlackDawg said:
    He’s got a stronger arm than Elway. More accurate than Montana. Runs as fast as Vick, but only 30 lb heavier. Shoo in #1 pick for the 2020 draft. Yeah, other than that, he’s way over rated...

He's a modern day Steve Young in my opinion

That's kind of the comparison I was thinking. Nice.