Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Special Thoughts on Marine Corps Birthday.

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    From an Air Force vet, thanks for all you guys do. I used to volunteer on the Flight line in Germany and we would transfer the combat casualties from the MEDEVAC flights to the Ambulances going to the hospital here. We also loaded the stablized patients who were being flown from Germany to the states. It was a very sobering experience and puts a lot of things into proper perspective. We complain a lot in the Air Force but life is pretty easy for us. You guys are true warriors and I am honored to have served beside you

I'm Air Force, I have a brother who spent 6 years in The Marines, the rest of my family has served in either The Army or Navy, including my Dad who served in Patton's 3rd Army from Le Harve France to the Czech border.

I'll bet your pops had some great stories to tell.

He passed 11 years ago, but he only talked about the people and general situations, never about his role in battles, though he was in some big ones, including The Bulge. I know he did a lot of recon with a friend of his from Puerto Rico, they also boxed, the friend was a boxer before the war. My brother has a detailed map of my father's entire route from le Havre to The Czech border. It shows every battle and skirmish he participated in.

My pops was a P-51 pilot and had 3 kills before he got shot down over Germany. Spent 14 months as a POW. He also didn’t talk much about his experiences at all.

Great plane, they didn't put pud knockers in those things, your dad must have been a very good pilot.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    From an Air Force vet, thanks for all you guys do. I used to volunteer on the Flight line in Germany and we would transfer the combat casualties from the MEDEVAC flights to the Ambulances going to the hospital here. We also loaded the stablized patients who were being flown from Germany to the states. It was a very sobering experience and puts a lot of things into proper perspective. We complain a lot in the Air Force but life is pretty easy for us. You guys are true warriors and I am honored to have served beside you

I'm Air Force, I have a brother who spent 6 years in The Marines, the rest of my family has served in either The Army or Navy, including my Dad who served in Patton's 3rd Army from Le Harve France to the Czech border.

I'll bet your pops had some great stories to tell.

He passed 11 years ago, but he only talked about the people and general situations, never about his role in battles, though he was in some big ones, including The Bulge. I know he did a lot of recon with a friend of his from Puerto Rico, they also boxed, the friend was a boxer before the war. My brother has a detailed map of my father's entire route from le Havre to The Czech border. It shows every battle and skirmish he participated in.

My pops was a P-51 pilot and had 3 kills before he got shot down over Germany. Spent 14 months as a POW. He also didn’t talk much about his experiences at all.

Great plane, they didn't put pud knockers in those things, your dad must have been a very good pilot.

I do recall when he told us a story of him flying on a mission and a German plane - I forget the numerical designation, flew by and it had no propellers - the first jet fighter plane. The Nazis did some cool technology back in that day.