Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

anyone like hot sauce?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

so thanks to another forum I am a member of I have recently got into making hot sauce at home. going to bottle my second batch tonight. I am making via lacto fermation

the first batch was 80% jalapenos with some habaneros thrown in w/ garlic and white onion. I let it ferment about 3 1/2 weeks.

today's batch is at 4 weeks and is closer to 60% habaneros/40% jalapenos w/ garlic and white onion

I have several more batches to make, including one with some ghost peppers. also want to experiment with adding different flavors to the ferment such as ginger or pineapple

anyone else ferment their own hot sauce? I am always looking to improve and learn something new

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

Never made it, but love hot sauce especially on eggs. Thanks for the recipes

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I absolutely love hot sauce but never considered making my own. I'd love to learn more about that so feel free to post links or your own thoughts, steps.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love to swill 'Dave's Insanity Sauce'. I love it so much I put it on Corn Flakes.

• Options

@AnotherDawg said:
    I absolutely love hot sauce but never considered making my own. I'd love to learn more about that so feel free to post links or your own thoughts, steps.

so what I have started doing, and this is only my second time, is making fermented hot sauce. both tabasco and sriracha are fermented hot sauces

the general idea is distilled water with 2%-3% salt, no iodine. add your sliced peppers plus whatever else you like. onions, garlic, ginger, etc. you don't have to add anything. you submerged the peppers in the brine for 5 days up to months. most go 2-3 weeks. then you drain the peppers, blend and you can add distilled water, apple cider or white vinegar, sugar, salt, etc

bottle and enjoy. the flavor will still change a bit the first few weeks or so if you leave in a pantry

• Options

@tfk_fanboy said:

@AnotherDawg said:

so what I have started doing, and this is only my second time, is making fermented hot sauce. both tabasco and sriracha are fermented hot sauces

the general idea is distilled water with 2%-3% salt, no iodine. add your sliced peppers plus whatever else you like. onions, garlic, ginger, etc. you don't have to add anything. you submerged the peppers in the brine for 5 days up to months. most go 2-3 weeks. then you drain the peppers, blend and you can add distilled water, apple cider or white vinegar, sugar, salt, etc

bottle and enjoy. the flavor will still change a bit the first few weeks or so if you leave in a pantry

Very cool. Thank you for sharing all of this. What kind of volume do you make for a batch, what kind of container(s) do you use, and where do you store it during fermentation?

• Options

@AnotherDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@AnotherDawg said:

Very cool. Thank you for sharing all of this. What kind of volume do you make for a batch, what kind of container(s) do you use, and where do you store it during fermentation?

so I have not bought any of the preferred equipment yet. it is cheap but I just have not bothered. the most popular is to use a mason jar and a pickling weight to submerge the peppers. I used my crock pot and then use a plate to keep it submerged. I have the counter space in my kitchen but a pantry works just as well.

you can make a little or as much as you want.

those got me this plus half a mason jar (I ran out of jars to put the sauce in)

• Options

@tfk_fanboy said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@AnotherDawg said:

so I have not bought any of the preferred equipment yet. it is cheap but I just have not bothered. the most popular is to use a mason jar and a pickling weight to submerge the peppers. I used my crock pot and then use a plate to keep it submerged. I have the counter space in my kitchen but a pantry works just as well.

you can make a little or as much as you want.

those got me this plus half a mason jar (I ran out of jars to put the sauce in)

Awesome. Thank you.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Awesome thread @tfk_fanboy. Never tried making it myself but looks like it would good. Love me some good hot sauce, however it might run the wife and cat out of the house for a few days. Thinking of that, well worth the try.......

• Options

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Awesome thread @tfk_fanboy. Never tried making it myself but looks like it would good. Love me some good hot sauce, however it might run the wife and cat out of the house for a few days. Thinking of that, well worth the try.......

Lol well if you cut the peppers up outside then there will be almost no impact to the house.

It's cheap, especially if you or someone you know grows the peppers. Million variations so can play around with. And very little work time invested. It's mostly waiting for the ferment. Low risk/high reward venture

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Lol well if you cut the peppers up outside then there will be almost no impact to the house.

It's cheap, especially if you or someone you know grows the peppers. Million variations so can play around with. And very little work time invested. It's mostly waiting for the ferment. Low risk/high reward venture

Very interesting discussion. As a brief aside, I was once eating in a Mexican restaurant in Livingston, AL a few years back. One of the workers brought a "hot sauce salesman" to my table. He had a bottle something called the "devil's blood". I don't know what the units are, but this was the hottest stuff in the universe, according to him. He warned me so I put a drop - just one drop - on my finger and then my tongue. It took hours for my tongue to recover and a little less time for my finger. Never again. I would try yours, however.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve made my own barbecue sauce, but not hot sauce. I like heat, but I don’t like the flavor of Habaneros.

I might follow your recipe, though. Thanks for sharing. I’m thinking Jalapeño and Serrano. When making sauces, instead of sugar, I like to use honey, or strawberry jam.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I’ve made my own barbecue sauce, but not hot sauce. I like heat, but I don’t like the flavor of Habaneros.

I might follow your recipe, though. Thanks for sharing. I’m thinking Jalapeño and Serrano. When making sauces, instead of sugar, I like to use honey, or strawberry jam.

I have a couple bbq sauces I finally have dialed in. has taken me about 10 years to get here.

and for the hot sauce don't think of it is a recipe. it is a method. you then chose your own recipe for your tastes. each pepper, and the combo of peppers, changes the results. absolutely find what floats your boat. It will take me years to go through everything I have in mind just for this one method, then I would have to spend a few more years to dial it in to find what I really like

• Options

I am a huge fan of Aaron Franklin. I bring him up not for his recipes but if you follow him he basically says "here are some guidelines and tips, here are some methods. tweak for you, and for your ingredients, until it works for you"

I think the following of recipes is detrimental. find a method, learn how and why it works, and then change to fit your needs and tastes. if you are not failing or finding areas to improve, you are not trying

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s the joy of cooking. When you don’t need to measure anymore but just go by feel. One of the best things I ever made was a homemade, from scratch chili with odds and ends from the freezer and the pantry.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hot sauce, saucy and hot, it's all good.