Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Cake Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there anyone in Dawg Nation that doesn't love cake? Of Viking origin, the word cake is derived from Old Norse “kaka”. Cake then was more like gingerbread due to the availability of refined ingredients. Originally from California, I grew to love red velvet cake when I moved to the South. One of the custodial ladies in our office building at the University of West Georgia would occasionally (like weekly almost) bring by a slice(s) for me. Mighty fine. What is your favorite cake? Any ideas or recipes to share ?

«1

Comments

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Pretty simple for me, but yellow cake with chocolate icing

  • BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JRT812 said:
    Pretty simple for me, but yellow cake with chocolate icing

    Yellow Jacket Cupcake

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 7,314 mod

    @BobcatGrad said:

    @JRT812 said:
    Pretty simple for me, but yellow cake with chocolate icing

    Yellow Jacket Cupcake

    Feed it to the Dawgs once a year.....

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    sorry about that. What do you do for desserts? Fruit? Vegan cakes?

  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate


    Does this count?

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

    @donm said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    sorry about that. What do you do for desserts? Fruit? Vegan cakes?

    My go to sweet is whey protein-frozen fruit smoothies these days. They are great but nothing quiet takes away the craving for fatty sweet breads like cake, cookies and pastries.

  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Lot of Italian bakeries where I live. They make cakes with cannoli filling between the layers served with gelato on the side. It's incredible

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    Does this count?

    In the words of the minor philosopher, Randy Macho Man Savage, "ooohh yeah" !

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

    @YaleDawg said:
    Lot of Italian bakeries where I live. They make cakes with cannoli filling between the layers served with gelato on the side. It's incredible

    As an Italian-American, I'd like to visit some day. Can you drop a name or two? They might even ship out.

  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I'll second your red velvet Don. Also a fan of carrot cake and pineapple upside down cake. In addition, the only cake I ever made myself was a chocolate cake that called for Guinness beer in the recipe. It was pretty awesome.

    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chocolate_guinness_cake/

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

    @donm said:

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    Does this count?

    In the words of the minor philosopher, Randy Macho Man Savage, "ooohh yeah" !

    I have a weakness for coconut cake, my Heaven will be paved with the stuff.
    Minus the Earthly consequences, coconut/cocaine cake would be my go to snack.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @AnotherDawg said:
    I'll second your red velvet Don. Also a fan of carrot cake and pineapple upside down cake. In addition, the only cake I ever made myself was a chocolate cake that called for Guinness beer in the recipe. It was pretty awesome.

    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chocolate_guinness_cake/

    ~~Strawberry shortcake deserves a mention as well.

  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Mom's pineapple glazed pound cake.

  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    Quitter

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

    @Catfish said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    Quitter

    Touche..you lie in wait like a cat, or catfish in your case.

  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:

    @Catfish said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    Quitter

    Touche..you lie in wait like a cat, or catfish in your case.

    Never, but your detractors will eat your post up. No pun intended

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Catfish said:

    @WCDawg said:

    @Catfish said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Is this also Lard Ass Day and Diabetes day ?
    If you detect a hint of sarcasm, it's real. I love cake, had to give it up though...life can be cruel.

    Quitter

    Touche..you lie in wait like a cat, or catfish in your case.

    Never, but your detractors will eat your post up. No pun intended

    Let em bring it, I ain't a skert.

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Cakes. Les gateaux. I miss my mom's coconut cream cake (a veritable prize-winner), but you can go to any bakery here and find amazing cakes. I don't know what it's called, but it's this chocolate-raspberry thing that's a trip. It's absolutely cosmic.! Any variation on this:

  • dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:

    @YaleDawg said:
    Lot of Italian bakeries where I live. They make cakes with cannoli filling between the layers served with gelato on the side. It's incredible

    As an Italian-American, I'd like to visit some day. Can you drop a name or two? They might even ship out.

    I’m also Italian-American, grew up in north Jersey where there were Italian bakeries on every corner. If you’re ever up in burbs north of ATL there is an outstanding Italian bakery in Crabapple called Alpine. Owner is from Long Island and his cakes/pastries are all the Italian classics and excellent.

Sign In or Register to comment.