Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Josh Donaldson

13»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

I'd prefer a 2 year deal, at the right price of course. My question is always, is he likely better than who we'd end up with if we go another way.

Yeah, I'm trying to think about who's out there but I haven't been keeping up on a daily basis like I will come spring training. So, I don't know who that candidate might be. I'm so consumed with UGA right now...which is cool because it's an ideal salve for the Falcons which makes me feel dreadful for even alluding to them.

Brantley and pollack are two of the top free agents still out there that have upside. As usual both are on the tail end of their careers and have injury risks, but both have shown to be good players when healthy. They could also try and target someone else in a trade, though I haven’t heard any names associated with them.

If they re sign Markakis it would probably be a stopgap for a year or just for outfield depth. Publicly available Projection systems estimate him to be about 1.1 WAR in 2019 which is below average to bad. Teams will have their own systems, but the projections will probably be pretty similar.

And while Nick was pretty good in 2018 with 2.6 WAR, he was below average in 2016 at 1.2 WAR and bad in 2017, at 0.5 WAR despite decent surface level stats. If you buy into him replicating 2018 again he would be a pretty good option, but contending teams can’t afford to give consistent starts to 2017 Nick.

WAR is a useful tool sometimes, but I value OBP, doubles, durability and a lack of errors maybe more than whoever came up with that formula does. Markakis will likely give you 12 to 18 hr, 36 to 42 doubles, .350 to 370 OBP just 1 to 2 errors and 155 games per season.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

I'd prefer a 2 year deal, at the right price of course. My question is always, is he likely better than who we'd end up with if we go another way.

Yeah, I'm trying to think about who's out there but I haven't been keeping up on a daily basis like I will come spring training. So, I don't know who that candidate might be. I'm so consumed with UGA right now...which is cool because it's an ideal salve for the Falcons which makes me feel dreadful for even alluding to them.

Brantley and pollack are two of the top free agents still out there that have upside. As usual both are on the tail end of their careers and have injury risks, but both have shown to be good players when healthy. They could also try and target someone else in a trade, though I haven’t heard any names associated with them.

If they re sign Markakis it would probably be a stopgap for a year or just for outfield depth. Publicly available Projection systems estimate him to be about 1.1 WAR in 2019 which is below average to bad. Teams will have their own systems, but the projections will probably be pretty similar.

And while Nick was pretty good in 2018 with 2.6 WAR, he was below average in 2016 at 1.2 WAR and bad in 2017, at 0.5 WAR despite decent surface level stats. If you buy into him replicating 2018 again he would be a pretty good option, but contending teams can’t afford to give consistent starts to 2017 Nick.

Also, I'm sure Nick is looking for one last solid 3 or so year deal. Doubt he wants a 1 year deal, have a bad season, then all teams thinking father time has caught up with him. And that would ruin potential earnings until he retires. His stock is very unlikely to get any higher after last season, and at his age, so he should want to cash-in one last decent contract.

I'm not against re-signing him, but for the right price... What does everyone think he's worth? And whatever you pay him that's less money to sure up the bullpen and front-line SP, so they'll likely have to trade away young players to get those issues solved.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who are these Foul-cons you allude to ?
    I might do some quick research on potential free agent and trade bait RFs tonight.

lol - The Falcons have been such a disappointment. I can't think of the last time I was so disappointed. The natty last year was disappointing but it was a weird disappointment. I guess because it's been so long since UGA was that close to a NC. I remember feeling this kind of disappointment when Garcia left Kimbrel in the pen in v LA. That kind of angry disappointment, haha.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

Also, I'm sure Nick is looking for one last solid 3 or so year deal. Doubt he wants a 1 year deal, have a bad season, then all teams thinking father time has caught up with him. And that would ruin potential earnings until he retires. His stock is very unlikely to get any higher after last season, and at his age, so he should want to cash-in one last decent contract.

I'm not against re-signing him, but for the right price... What does everyone think he's worth? And whatever you pay him that's less money to sure up the bullpen and front-line SP, so they'll likely have to trade away young players to get those issues solved.

I'd give him 2 years, I didn't see any signs of erosion in 2018.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

Frankly nobody is going to give him a 3 year deal, so if we want him for 1 year we wouldn't be up against any big offers. Standard is usually players are worth 8.5-9M/WAR , but teams almost never pay that much. I feel like outfield role players could be> @Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

Frankly it isn't likely someone offers him a 3 year deal, because 35 year olds never get those. So we won't have to outbid those offers if we want him. I think he could be had for 6-8M but honestly I could be off, as I am not as well researched in salaries as I am about player value. An upper bound would be about 11M, anything after that and his contract would be bringing negative value to the team a la Tehran.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

But at what price? Is he worth roughly half of the $30 million that's being speculated as left out there for the Braves to spend? I saw the opposite of erosion last year, but as they say, father-time is undefeated. Obviously it's a risk if you do sign him and he starts to go downhill, or don't sign him and he continues to be an above average RF.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

Frankly nobody is going to give him a 3 year deal, so if we want him for 1 year we wouldn't be up against any big offers. Standard is usually players are worth 8.5-9M/WAR , but teams almost never pay that much. I feel like outfield role players could be> @Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

Frankly it isn't likely someone offers him a 3 year deal, because 35 year olds never get those. So we won't have to outbid those offers if we want him. I think he could be had for 6-8M but honestly I could be off, as I am not as well researched in salaries as I am about player value. An upper bound would be about 11M, anything after that and his contract would be bringing negative value to the team a la Tehran.

He made $10.5 million last year (and salaries have gone up a good bit since he signed 4 years ago), and had one of his best seasons ever (first all star appearance ever, and why I think he'll want more money than his age should allow, just speculating of course). Yes, he's getting older, and why I'm not worried if the Braves walkaway. Haven't really looked at free agent OFs to see what their options are though. Either way, I don't see him making any less money than he did last year. I guess all this boils down to how much he's actually asking for. If you think he'd go for 6-8 mil, then I say sign him for 3 years and let him retire in ATL. That's really inexpensive these days.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

He made $10.5 million last year (and salaries have gone up a good bit since he signed 4 years ago), and had one of his best seasons ever (first all star appearance ever, and why I think he'll want more money than his age should allow, just speculating of course). Yes, he's getting older, and why I'm not worried if the Braves walkaway. Haven't really looked at free agent OFs to see what their options are though. Either way, I don't see him making any less money than he did last year. I guess all this boils down to how much he's actually asking for. If you think he'd go for 6-8 mil, then I say sign him for 3 years and let him retire in ATL. That's really inexpensive these days.

Very confident he won’t be making over 11 annually. At least not in Atlanta! Sure he may want a big 3 year contract and to make more than he did last year, but it doesn’t mean he will.

Smart front offices don’t pay you for what you did last year, they pay you for what they think you’ll do going forward. And I’ll reiterate projection systems don’t buy into him replicating the first half of 2018, they see him as a 4th outfielder and bench bat type.

• Options

Also for what it’s worth, check this link. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html

It predicts him at 2 years, 16M to the Phillies. Could be a ballpark estimate

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know what kind of market there is for Markakis, but if we can get him at a reasonable price on 2 year deal with a club and player option for a 3rd year, I would like to see us resign him. He’s coming off a year where he won both a gold glove and a silver slugger award, and was in the NL MVP discussion. Seeing how he is from the Atlanta area and has 2 young sons, he will probably take less to stay with the Braves.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@Kirbstomper - thx for that link. BTW, seeing Kimbrel's name made me salivate. As for NM, if he's offered 2 years and 16, he should take it. But I don't think that the Braves are going to do it. I wouldn't.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

WAR is a useful tool sometimes, but I value OBP, doubles, durability and a lack of errors maybe more than whoever came up with that formula does. Markakis will likely give you 12 to 18 hr, 36 to 42 doubles, .350 to 370 OBP just 1 to 2 errors and 155 games per season.

WAR. What is it good for ? Absolutely nothing.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

But at what price? Is he worth roughly half of the $30 million that's being speculated as left out there for the Braves to spend? I saw the opposite of erosion last year, but as they say, father-time is undefeated. Obviously it's a risk if you do sign him and he starts to go downhill, or don't sign him and he continues to be an above average RF.

I'm not saying I'd give him a blank check or even that he will be our best option. I'm just saying where we stand now I think we'd be better with than without him. That is reason enough to entertain the idea. It may be Riley ends up in RF.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    Also for what it’s worth, check this link. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html

It predicts him at 2 years, 16M to the Phillies. Could be a ballpark estimate

At $8 mil a year I’d take him, barring what else the Braves think they can get in free agency, or if they think Riley will be ready soon.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@kelly_b said:

WAR. What is it good for ? Absolutely nothing.

Good God y'all