Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN's top 50 players in College Football

VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24264151/college-football-preseason-player-rankings-ed-oliver-leads-way

UGA lands 2 in this list:

• No. 30 Jake Fromm
  • No. 33 D'andre Swift

Clemson lands 2 D-lineman in the top 5...

Comments

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@Kasey said:
    They had Tua over Jake too. I hate lists like this because they make me so mad. What has he done to justify being a top 15 player in college football?

I know.. Not fair at all. Time will tell though. He's not going to lead bama to beating everyone 50-3 like Trent Dilfer says. Dilfer is the same NFL analyst that is quoted saying "You cannot lose games in the NFL and still win."

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@Kasey said:
    They had Tua over Jake too. I hate lists like this because they make me so mad. What has he done to justify being a top 15 player in college football?

I know.. Not fair at all. Time will tell though. He's not going to lead bama to beating everyone 50-3 like Trent Dilfer says. Dilfer is the same NFL analyst that is quoted saying "You cannot lose games in the NFL and still win."

Let's see what Tua does when there's tape on him and teams can begin to scheme against him and take away what he does best. Auburn still has a stout defensive line and should get in his grill a little.

• tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

The criminal omission on that is DeAndre Baker.

As for Tua, he won the game, but he was only 14-24, and threw an **** pick. His rating was meh.....

Also, why in the hell does the Auburn quarterback always get so hyped. Stidham will struggle mightily this year with the new Oline and his happy feet.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24264151/college-football-preseason-player-rankings-ed-oliver-leads-way

UGA lands 2 in this list:

• No. 30 Jake Fromm
    • No. 33 D'andre Swift

Clemson lands 2 D-lineman in the top 5...

We're a year or 2 away from dominating lists like this.

@Kasey said:

It's just some arbitrary list, it has zero bearing on anything.
    I noticed they value a QB's yardage over TDs to Ints, which is comically ****. Stidman is rated higher than Fromm because he threw for 400 more yards, yet he had 9 fewer TDs, it's laughable.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

It's just some arbitrary list, it has zero bearing on anything.
    I noticed they value a QB's yardage over TDs to Ints, which is comically ****. Stidman is rated higher than Fromm because he threw for 400 more yards, yet he had 9 fewer TDs, it's laughable.

You’re right. And intellectually I know that. I have to tell myself every time not to read these bc they are clickbait and only serve to get people up in arms. It’s why I never read rolling stone’s definitive list on anything

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We never scorded that well in the past. It took a tidal wave of positive evaluations for Wynn to final get credit. Defense the same: except that Roquan came on strong and dominated. The rest of the defense had no individual winners. So we played by committee and still had a top-10 defense. Imagine what this defense will be when infused with top-level talent. Now: Webb, Ledbetter, and Clark. Probably a linebacker too. Coming: N. Smith, Cox, Quay Walker, T. Walker, Otis Reese.

Also....
    Just noticed another ClemPson D-lineman listed at 24. That's nuts.

edited August 2018

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Also....

They also have a DE, LB and CB projected to go in the 1st rd in next year's draft. That is 5 mature 1st rd talents on defense.
    That defense is going to be scary, I predict a national title year for them.

• BiggDawgBiggDawg Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

@WCDawg said:

They also have a DE, LB and CB projected to go in the 1st rd in next year's draft. That is 5 mature 1st rd talents on defense.

Our offense will be equally nasty. By that time, our young defense will be off to the races to shut down any semblance of an offense Clemson may have found under their freshman QB. I predict a UGA national title year.

@BiggDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Our offense will be equally nasty. By that time, our young defense will be off to the races to shut down any semblance of an offense Clemson may have found under their freshman QB. I predict a UGA national title year.

No surprise there.

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Also....

I think their destiny will depend on QB play. Their defense has been championship level last couple years but since Watson went pro, QB play lacked at times. If Lawrence is legit and he gets to play, they have a better shot than most

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Also....

Just got back from south west NC visiting my wife’s family and they have a ton of clemPson fans. I want to yell at all of them YOU DONT EVEN SAY YOUR SCHOOLS NAME CORRECTLY!!!

@VaBeachDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Also....

Just got back from south west NC visiting my wife’s family and they have a ton of clemPson fans. I want to yell at all of them YOU DONT EVEN SAY YOUR SCHOOLS NAME CORRECTLY!!!

I lived in the heart of Clempson country outside Greenville SC for 7 years. They are cool folks, terrible language skills though, just awful.

@JeffSentell said:
    Do feel that is largely a "Q" rating or "Marketability" rank when it comes to UGA.

Nothing against Fromm and Swift. But I think the other 14th-grader at LT is every bit as good as those guys. Very likely the top NFL prospect on the team.

Three year man?

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@JeffSentell said:
    Do feel that is largely a "Q" rating or "Marketability" rank when it comes to UGA.

Nothing against Fromm and Swift. But I think the other 14th-grader at LT is every bit as good as those guys. Very likely the top NFL prospect on the team.

Three year man?

I would think so. McGlinchey went top 10 this year. Could see Andrew going top 5. Would be hard to stay if so

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Typically these lists lag one to two years behind

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nobody gives a **** what ESPN says.