Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jalen vs Alabama

VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

It seems like the stage is set for Hurts to transfer to the team of his choice after he graduates in December.

I heard a really interesting take on the SDS podcast yesterday... One of the hosts had this idea. Would Jalen consider quitting the team? If so he could retain a year of eligibility, graduate and transfer anywhere, AND be able to play immediately for 2 years. If his goal is to play ball at the next level, then this may be his best path to making that happen. Go to a team like Texas (where he's from), Tennessee (If he's into that kind of thing), Auburn (just to rub it in Little Saint Nick's face), or even Florida (just hypothetical don't roast me pls. He wouldn't bring them close to contending for the East). I know that he's not going to be okay with coming in during garbage time like Eason did for us last season, and you know if Nick had his way, he would get Hurts over that 4 game mark to take away a Redshirt Year possibility.

Where in the SEC would he not immediately start in the 2019 season besides Georgia and Miss St. The teams listed above would be **** to not let a 25-2 QB start for them.

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he had 2 years of eligibility left versus just 1, he would certainly be more valuable on the open market.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Hurts doesn't improve his passing, I don't see him playing at a school where the QB isn't mainly a running threat. If he can't throw better than he has at Bama with their OL and running game, I don't know that everyone will be after him like some people think.

• BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he is planning on leaving then I feel the best answer for him as a QB would be to go ahead and quit now to give him 2 years of eligibility.

I could see him going to: Texas, GA tech, or TN

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    It seems like the stage is set for Hurts to transfer to the team of his choice after he graduates in December.

I heard a really interesting take on the SDS podcast yesterday... One of the hosts had this idea. Would Jalen consider quitting the team? If so he could retain a year of eligibility, graduate and transfer anywhere, AND be able to play immediately for 2 years. If his goal is to play ball at the next level, then this may be his best path to making that happen. Go to a team like Texas (where he's from), Tennessee (If he's into that kind of thing), Auburn (just to rub it in Little Saint Nick's face), or even Florida (just hypothetical don't roast me pls. He wouldn't bring them close to contending for the East). I know that he's not going to be okay with coming in during garbage time like Eason did for us last season, and you know if Nick had his way, he would get Hurts over that 4 game mark to take away a Redshirt Year possibility.

Where in the SEC would he not immediately start in the 2019 season besides Georgia and Miss St. The teams listed above would be **** to not let a 25-2 QB start for them.

He has a good record as a starter but how many of those wins were directly because of him? From watching them, I often felt Bama's other strengths overcame his deficiencies as a passer. My thoughts on places where he definitely wouldn't start in 2019:

us
    Bama (Tua + anyone else they recruit)
    Miss St (Fitzgerald)
    Carolina (Bentley)
    Missouri (I know Lock will be gone but Hurts is a terrible fit for what they do on offense)

Anywhere else is a toss-up, I would say. Saban would hate it but Auburn is probably where Hurts fits the best from a skill set standpoint.

Won’t Stidham still be at Auburn in ‘19? Well, unless he goes pro.

The other question is how would Auburn fans like having someone who could be considered a Bama reject as their starting QB? Maybe it could be sold to them. I’m not sure.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@levander said:
    Won’t Stidham still be at Auburn in ‘19? Well, unless he goes pro.

The other question is how would Auburn fans like having someone who could be considered a Bama reject as their starting QB? Maybe it could be sold to them. I’m not sure.

The Barn has shown over history they will welcome almost anyone that will help them win. I feel like they win the Player With Troubled Past Transferring In Award most yrs.

Stidham looks like almost a lock to go pro barring injury. It's a projection on how the season will go, of course, but the early draft lists have him in the top 2-3 of what looks to be an underwhelming QB draft class. Again, just based on projections.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If he is planning on leaving then I feel the best answer for him as a QB would be to go ahead and quit now to give him 2 years of eligibility.

GT? I think he likes winning a little too much for that

He's from Texas, so Texas or A&M would make sense. Maybe even TCU. Florida or FSU seem like fairly good spots as well.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AgDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

GT? I think he likes winning a little too much for that

While that's true, I just believe his skill set would be very well implemented into the offense that they run

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is Tebow 2. Great college player, no shot as a NFL QB. His Dad did him no favor spouting off. Saban don't play that. Besides Tua's brother is a commit. Do the math.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what he gains by staying at Bama if he is not the starter this year. It will just burn a year of eligibility. I'd go ahead and transfer now. Sit out 2018, and start in 2019 with two years left. He might also want to think about a position change. Not sure he is an NFL QB.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m feeling TCU because they seem to always take a graduate QB or 2 also they run an offense that would suit him best.

@pgjackson said:
    Not sure what he gains by staying at Bama if he is not the starter this year. It will just burn a year of eligibility. I'd go ahead and transfer now. Sit out 2018, and start in 2019 with two years left. He might also want to think about a position change. Not sure he is an NFL QB.

Jalen has said he’s graduating in December. So he wants to stay at Bama till then.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally, I hope he stays at Bama and keeps that little Tempest in Tuscaloosa on a long simmer.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

Jalen has said he’s graduating in December. So he wants to stay at Bama till then.

Interesting. So he wants to burn a year of eligibility I guess. Not sure what he gains from sticking around. He could transfer now and still graduate in December (I assume Bama's courses transfer pretty much anywhere). Start a Master's program in the Spring semester at the next school and play in 2019. I wonder what his long-term goals are. If he wants to get to the NFL, he needs to think about finding a program that will develop him as a Pro-style QB and get there as quickly as possible. Bama is not going to get him there.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

Interesting. So he wants to burn a year of eligibility I guess. Not sure what he gains from sticking around. He could transfer now and still graduate in December (I assume Bama's courses transfer pretty much anywhere). Start a Master's program in the Spring semester at the next school and play in 2019. I wonder what his long-term goals are. If he wants to get to the NFL, he needs to think about finding a program that will develop him as a Pro-style QB and get there as quickly as possible. Bama is not going to get him there.

He can just play in 4 games or under and it technically be a redshirt.

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

But do you really think Saban is going to let him only play in four games?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AgDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

But do you really think Saban is going to let him only play in four games?

At the same time Hurts can say he’s injured... I think Hurts has done enough for Bama for them to preserve his redshirt. Maybe they work out a deal that they’ll redshirt him if he doesn’t transfer within the SEC.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he wants to red-shirt this year, he can go off scholarship and pay his own way for one semester and graduate in December. Don’t see him going that route.