Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jalen vs Alabama

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Jalen does have to go off scholarship so he can finish at Bama, I would consider that a black mark on Bama’s reputation.

Certainly not everyone would. As an example of some (not all) of the people who wouldn’t, there are plenty of people with the what I consider extreme attitude of, if that’s what the authorities say....

But I think enough people would consider it a black mark on Bama’s reputation that Saban would want to avoid the situation where Jalen has to quit the team to preserve a year of eligibility, etc...

• pnash82pnash82 Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@AgDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If he is planning on leaving then I feel the best answer for him as a QB would be to go ahead and quit now to give him 2 years of eligibility.

I could see him going to: Texas, GA tech, or TN

GT? I think he likes winning a little too much for that

While that's true, I just believe his skill set would be very well implemented into the offense that they run

Josh Nesbitt 2.0

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@AgDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If he is planning on leaving then I feel the best answer for him as a QB would be to go ahead and quit now to give him 2 years of eligibility.

I could see him going to: Texas, GA tech, or TN

GT? I think he likes winning a little too much for that

While that's true, I just believe his skill set would be very well implemented into the offense that they run

I agree. And he'd have the benefit of playing in the ACC as well. NFL teams do draft players from that conference still.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

There are quite a few schools that would make Jalen a take. Despite all the negatives the kid has lost 2 games in college, throws 60%, and though he plays like Vick he has statistically outshined him... I think a school like Orgeon, Oklahoma, Auburn, and any school that has a draft likely prospect but no immediate heir apparent would take him, dont see too many schools here in the state of Texas giving him interest since its a passing league (maybe Houston), and then the less likely situation go to a HC who prefers running QBs like many in FLA such as FSU or USF (possibly Louisville as well)

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

What if he hopped on the Lane Train at FAU :D
    Just thought about that.

• CroatiadawgCroatiadawg Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

total curiosity, but if he quits the team, forgoes his scholarship, pays his own way, graduates in December - is that in state or out of state tuition?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    What if he hopped on the Lane Train at FAU :D
    Just thought about that.

I could totally see that happening. He would kill that conference, but that's about it.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But..... does Jalen actually lose his starting position?

He is 26-2 as a QB for Alabama. Last year he threw 17 touchdowns and only 1 interception. He also finished 3rd in QB ratings out of the SEC and ACC combined

Or......

Does Alabama run this “Dual QB system” and put in Hurts or Tau depending on the defense and game situation that some seem to think that UGA should implement with Fields and Fromm

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AgDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:
    Not sure what he gains by staying at Bama if he is not the starter this year. It will just burn a year of eligibility. I'd go ahead and transfer now. Sit out 2018, and start in 2019 with two years left. He might also want to think about a position change. Not sure he is an NFL QB.

Jalen has said he’s graduating in December. So he wants to stay at Bama till then.

Interesting. So he wants to burn a year of eligibility I guess. Not sure what he gains from sticking around. He could transfer now and still graduate in December (I assume Bama's courses transfer pretty much anywhere). Start a Master's program in the Spring semester at the next school and play in 2019. I wonder what his long-term goals are. If he wants to get to the NFL, he needs to think about finding a program that will develop him as a Pro-style QB and get there as quickly as possible. Bama is not going to get him there.

He can just play in 4 games or under and it technically be a redshirt.

But do you really think Saban is going to let him only play in four games?

Not in his power to control.

Saban, "Go in for garbage time."
    Jalen, "I can't, coach, my knee hurts."

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Or......

Does Alabama run this “Dual QB system” and put in Hurts or Tau depending on the defense and game situation that some seem to think that UGA should implement with Fields and Fromm

Just my opinion but I don't know if Little Nicky is going to risk losing a commitment (don't know if he's committed or not) from Tua's brother. The coaching staff and players seem to agree that Tua is the better choice. Sure they could run with Jalen thru the regular season unscathed, but the Tagovailoa family would disapprove. That is if any of the news about Tua thinking about transferring before the Championship game was true.

@moos said:

@AgDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:
    Not sure what he gains by staying at Bama if he is not the starter this year. It will just burn a year of eligibility. I'd go ahead and transfer now. Sit out 2018, and start in 2019 with two years left. He might also want to think about a position change. Not sure he is an NFL QB.

Jalen has said he’s graduating in December. So he wants to stay at Bama till then.

Interesting. So he wants to burn a year of eligibility I guess. Not sure what he gains from sticking around. He could transfer now and still graduate in December (I assume Bama's courses transfer pretty much anywhere). Start a Master's program in the Spring semester at the next school and play in 2019. I wonder what his long-term goals are. If he wants to get to the NFL, he needs to think about finding a program that will develop him as a Pro-style QB and get there as quickly as possible. Bama is not going to get him there.

A little shocked Eason didn't do that last year

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Or......

Never seen that done with identical QBs before. Usually it's done with totally different QB styles (like Fromm/Fields, Greene/Shockley, Leak/Tebow). Hurts and Tua are the same guy. The only benefit to it would be trying to keep both happy...which will probably result in both being very unhappy.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@pgjackson said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@moos said:

@AgDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

A little shocked Eason didn't do that last year

Eason was a trooper. He did what he was asked to do. No complaints, drama or pouting. DGD.

Eason also didn't have the benefit of 4 game redshirt rule. He would have had to apply for a medical.

@pgjackson said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Or......

Never seen that done with identical QBs before. Usually it's done with totally different QB styles (like Fromm/Fields, Greene/Shockley, Leak/Tebow). Hurts and Tua are the same guy. The only benefit to it would be trying to keep both happy...which will probably result in both being very unhappy.

Tau and Hurts. Both are passers with Hurts having more athletic ability/running ability. Tau may have a slight better arm while Hurts has the experience under his belt

Fields and Fromm: Both are passers with Fields having more athletic ability/running ability. Fromm may have a slight better arm while Fromm has the experience under his belt

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

this quarter back controversy is something i would’ve never seen coming from Bama. Saban usually controls these things.

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@pgjackson said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Or......

Tau and Hurts. Both are passers with Hurts having more athletic ability/running ability. Tau may have a slight better arm while Hurts has the experience under his belt

Fields and Fromm: Both are passers with Fields having more athletic ability/running ability. Fromm may have a slight better arm while Fromm has the experience under his belt

Tua and Hurts are both running QBs who have no aspirations of being a drop-back passer. Fromm is a drop-back passer who has enough running ability to get away once in a while. Fields is a running QB who is coming here to learn to be drop-back passer, but still has the running abilities of Tua/Hurts.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@brentwilson said:
    this quarter back controversy is something i would’ve never seen coming from Bama. Saban usually controls these things.

Part of me is wondering if Saban is orchestrating it so no one asks about title aspirations instead. Not saying that’s what’s happening, but I wouldn’t put it past the guy

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jalen should not have been the SEC Offensive POY in 2016. Josh Dobbs led the SEC in offense and touchdowns and as a senior was a much more effective QB ....