Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Got some questions about the season.

Dawg94Dawg94 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been reading this forum for almost a year now and just finally decided to join up and talk with you guys. My questions are 1. Do you think we see more bubble screens/reverses with all of the speed we have and 2. If we face Clemson in a bowl (playoff or not) how do you guys think we would do?

Comments

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally "think" that we will see more deep ball passes, especially on a 1st and 10 play. The speed that we will have on the edges and a threat of a deep ball would be the best thing to keep CB's, Safety's, and OLB's honest. I believe that will also open up larger holes for the run game and not allow opponents to stack the box

As far as how we would do against Clemson, it is hard to say... they do have a lot of returning talent. I would like to see us schedule them for a regular season match up again though

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Welcome! Although our deep ball threat is going to be amazing (when is the last time we had four good, long-ball threats like we do?), the short passes to our RB and someone like Hardman is a real possibility. Cook seems to be ready for that role, but so is Swift. I guess what I’m trying to say is our passing game can light you up in all directions. As for Clemson, it would be a fun game, similar to this past year’s NCG. 50/50

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly don't know what to expect on offense...in a good way. With the RBs, WRs and TEs we have and two elite QBs, it is going to be difficult to keep everyone happy. We literally have 5-star players at every position. If I was a DC I would literally have no idea what to focus on. Yes, I can see a lot of bubble screens and reverses thrown in. This is going to be a record breaking season on offense.

Clemson...I think we can roll them, just like Bama did last year. Clemson has a solid starting lineup, but they don't have the depth we have. Bama is the only team I am concerned about.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To link your two questions in a way, I think if we did face Clemson in the CFP you would see more screens and edge plays to try and neutralize that dominant DL they have.

• Options
    daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With all the talk about the offense going faster, I think we'll see more bubble screens. I hope we see some, since we've got several guys that can take a short pass, make a couple of moves & take it to the house.

Clemson's a lot like Bama last year offensively with Bryant at QB. If you can stop the run & make him pass, they're gonna struggle against a good defense. Now if they make a change & put Lawrence in, by the time the post season arrives, they may be a completely different offense. Their defense is gonna be strong, especially that d-line. Hopefully we learned something from facing Bama's defense & will be more willing to open up the offense.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will say no on the screens. That's essentially the passing version of a toss sweep. We will see screens, yes, but I wouldn't say it will be a key cog of the offense. That will continue to be running back.

I actually watched the Sugar bowl last night. Clemson made Bama look unbeatable. UGA matched up way better against Bama. But this is a new UGA squad. The way the O-line improved last year and the depth at RB, matched with ELITE talent at the top of WR rotation.. look for UGA to stretch the field on some play action this year. Will help open up underneath for the TE's as well. 2018 will be the closest thing we've seen to a Bobo offense since he left for Ft. Collins in my estimation. UGA ranked #20 in scoring offense last year, averaging 35 pts per game. I think we should anticipate closer to a top 10 caliber offense averaging 38-40 points per game. The only thing going to hold this team back will be injuries or lack of experience on defense.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't want to sound to arrogant but the Dawgs will have a lot of opportunities to experiment this year......Look for more passing all around

As far as Clemson goes.........Anyone's guess...the teams are close........At this time I think Georgia has a better offense while Clemson has a much better D.....Let's look again after the Auburn game

• Options
    Dawg4Life912Dawg4Life912 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Kelly Bryant is there QB I think we beat them pretty good, however if Lawrence is QB I think they give us a run for our money. I still think we come out with a W either way. People may say that their D-line is too good and they will stop out pass and run game but, our O-line is now one if not the strongest position groups we have. In my opinion, the only position group we are inferior to Clemson at is D-line, maybe in the secondary as well but I honestly don't think so( as long as Webb, Campbell, and Lecounte live up to their hype).

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg94 said:
    I've been reading this forum for almost a year now and just finally decided to join up and talk with you guys. My questions are 1. Do you think we see more bubble screens/reverses with all of the speed we have and 2. If we face Clemson in a bowl (playoff or not) how do you guys think we would do?

Bobo used a lot of bubble screens, I don't see them being a big part of Chaney's plans though. As for reverses, you can only use them so often. They are slow to develop, you need the element of surprise.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think a bubble to mecole would be effective. Clemson has a historically great DL but I don't think enough overall talent to be favored over us

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg4Life912 said:
    If Kelly Bryant is there QB I think we beat them pretty good, however if Lawrence is QB I think they give us a run for our money. I still think we come out with a W either way. People may say that their D-line is too good and they will stop out pass and run game but, our O-line is now one if not the strongest position groups we have. In my opinion, the only position group we are inferior to Clemson at is D-line, maybe in the secondary as well but I honestly don't think so( as long as Webb, Campbell, and Lecounte live up to their hype).

Bama didn't have much trouble running all over Clemson's D. I'll take our offense over Bama's right now.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    To link your two questions in a way, I think if we did face Clemson in the CFP you would see more screens and edge plays to try and neutralize that dominant DL they have.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe Cackalack and Auburn force us into misdirection plays, but our Olineman are so dominant that this offense won’t need to throw all that much and we can afford to remain basic.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@dawg94 Question #1 - I can easily see where Georgia’s huge, deep, & very talented offensive line & our incredible stable of TOP TIER running backs simply GASH into opposing defenses for big chunks of yards & points too. Then afterwards? HUGE, HUGE, HUGE (as in REALLY BIG!!!) play action passes open up all over the place & “keep the defense on their heels” as opposing defensive coordinators have the absolute hellish task of trying to stop everything, & that’s just impossible. Question #2? A Georgia vs Clemson bowl game? Very difficult & a great winnable challenge for the DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Dawg94 said:

Just imagine putting Mecole/Demetrius in motion on the end around with Fields in shotgun, Swift next to him to take a possible handoff on a RPO with Godwin and Nauta running deep down the middle and on the edge