Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

In other Braves' news, Acuna is playing like the budding superstar he's billed as..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@scooterdawg said:
    The kid(Acuna) is still looking good. It’s nice when occasionally a prized Braves prospect actually pans out, especially a non pitcher. Still won’t be able to tell for a bit I guess after Frenchy and Heyward started strong and then kinda fizzled out. Acuna has speed and a pretty swing though.

Acuna's swing is becoming a thing of beauty. It's extremely fluid and quick, he reminds me more and more of a pre-PEDs Barry Bonds in that dept.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

his enjoyment of the game reminds me of a young Willie Mays - seems to love being out there just doing his thing. I love when he tries to help the umpires make calls or review plays. I also can't wait to see what his "advanced" metrics are at the end of the season.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:
    The kid(Acuna) is still looking good. It’s nice when occasionally a prized Braves prospect actually pans out, especially a non pitcher. Still won’t be able to tell for a bit I guess after Frenchy and Heyward started strong and then kinda fizzled out. Acuna has speed and a pretty swing though.

Acuna's swing is becoming a thing of beauty. It's extremely fluid and quick, he reminds me more and more of a pre-PEDs Barry Bonds in that dept.

A pre-roid Pirates version of Bonds is a great comp for the type of player Acuna has the potential to develop into. Great call!

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

And Dansby is coming on the last 8 games, raised his BA 8 pts. over that time frame (which is a good bit for how late in the season it is). Even though BA doesn't matter to some on this forum, since it's a stat that's been around too long. 10 for his last 29. 3 HRs in the last 10 games.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still don’t get why they traded for that Duvall guy. He’s wayyyyy below the Mendoza line and near as I can tell must have hit some homers early in the season because he hasn’t anything with the Braves. To be fair he’s mostly been a pinch hitter but he doesn’t even seem like the kind of guy you want off the bench..very feast or famine. Culbertson is the only guy I trust to have a shot as a pinch hitter.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I still don’t get why they traded for that Duvall guy. He’s wayyyyy below the Mendoza line and near as I can tell must have hit some homers early in the season because he hasn’t anything with the Braves. To be fair he’s mostly been a pinch hitter but he doesn’t even seem like the kind of guy you want off the bench..very feast or famine. Culbertson is the only guy I trust to have a shot as a pinch hitter.

But he's got good launch angle!!! Kidding, just mocking those guys on here that think because a guy has one or two measly advanced stats that are above average, that it trumps batting average, strikeouts, etc.

He's 4 for 27 (.148) since joining the Braves with no extra base hits. And strikeouts 26% of his at bats. I just don't see how the Braves don't have a guy in the minors that can do better than this. With that said, he was an all-star a few seasons ago, so here's to hoping he can find his form again. He turns 30 in a few weeks, so not sure what the chances are that he regains his old self heading into his 30s. This is about the same age Uggla fell off the face of the earth in hitting. I feel he's going through something similar with the bat speed just not being there anymore. Hope I'm wrong, but he's been completely awful so far. Wish we could have those prospects back and trade for someone who could bat .200 off the bench.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@scooterdawg said:

And Dansby is coming on the last 8 games, raised his BA 8 pts. over that time frame (which is a good bit for how late in the season it is). Even though BA doesn't matter to some on this forum, since it's a stat that's been around too long. 10 for his last 29. 3 HRs in the last 10 games.

DS is on the verge of being a bust. He's at the point it probably won't happen if it doesn't happen soon.
    This is not the first short burst he's had, stay tuned.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@scooterdawg said:

But he's got good launch angle!!! Kidding, just mocking those guys on here that think because a guy has one or two measly advanced stats that are above average, that it trumps batting average, strikeouts, etc.

He's 4 for 27 (.148) since joining the Braves with no extra base hits. And strikeouts 26% of his at bats. I just don't see how the Braves don't have a guy in the minors that can do better than this. With that said, he was an all-star a few seasons ago, so here's to hoping he can find his form again. He turns 30 in a few weeks, so not sure what the chances are that he regains his old self heading into his 30s. This is about the same age Uggla fell off the face of the earth in hitting. I feel he's going through something similar with the bat speed just not being there anymore. Hope I'm wrong, but he's been completely awful so far. Wish we could have those prospects back and trade for someone who could bat .200 off the bench.

The issues with Duvall were there even when he parlayed some HRs to RBI's at an unsustainable rate. RBI is not an isolated ability, it is dependent on others to get on base.
    His BA and OBP was never good.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They HAVE to pitch to him in lead off. That's the answer. Now back to them Dawgs! #STEAMROLLA!

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@scooterdawg said:

DS is on the verge of being a bust. He's at the point it probably won't happen if it doesn't happen soon.

Yes. He’s been very up and down. It’s been said “ you’re are what your “#’s say you are”. I worry that he won’t be more than a .240 hitter with a little pop in his bat. Fingers crossed for him. He does much better after from the 7th inning on, I think.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@scooterdawg said:

Yes. He’s been very up and down. It’s been said “ you’re are what your “#’s say you are”. I worry that he won’t be more than a .240 hitter with a little pop in his bat. Fingers crossed for him. He does much better after from the 7th inning on, I think.

Historically hitting late doesn't hold up over time. As you say, you pretty much are what your stats say you are hitting wise. He has some defensive value ,but nothing rare.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

I like the lower part of the batting order: Camargo, Suzuki, and Swanson. And Acuna is on fire. How many points has he raised his BA since returning from that injury?
    Overall good team with some bright new starting pitchers. But I'm worried about Newcomb.

• Options

@MarkBoknecht said:
    I like the lower part of the batting order: Camargo, Suzuki, and Swanson. And Acuna is on fire. How many points has he raised his BA since returning from that injury?
    Overall good team with some bright new starting pitchers. But I'm worried about Newcomb.

To me hitting comes down to a couple of stats for the most part.
    Slugging percentage and on base percentage. They are combined to give us a player's OPS.
    That tells you a player is both getting on base at a high rate and hitting for power, which is pretty much what creates runs.
    Angle of trajectory, angle of dangle, whatever means nothing bottom line wise.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

Slugging percentage and on base percentage. They are combined to give us a player's OPS.
    That tells you a player is both getting on base at a high rate and hitting for power, which is pretty much what creates runs.

And, for a minute, Acuna’s OPS had risen above Freeman’s and dropped back. It’s still well above the league average which I think was about .750 last time I checked. I also like RBIs and runs scored added together. It’s a lesser known metric that I think I just thought of. lol

• Options
    edited August 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

And, for a minute, Acuna’s OPS had risen above Freeman’s and dropped back. It’s still well above the league average which I think was about .750 last time I checked. I also like RBIs and runs scored added together. It’s a lesser known metric that I think I just thought of. lol

It's interesting you noticed his OPS had surpassed FF's for a game. I'd noticed and planned a thread on it but before I had a chance Ronald went 1 for 3 and Freddie retook the team lead.
    It says a lot that he is already in that rarified air though.
    Think about this. With all the injuries Chipper's long career OPS is higher than either of those guys has for this season.

RBI+Runs scored is very tied to team performance though. Over a long career those stats are telling, but not necessarily for a snap shot moment.

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another screaming mimi

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

After 3 innings tonight Acuna has a .930 OPS to FF's .927...this is war to the death.

• Options

@jay_kubzz said:
    Another screaming mimi

He has lethal badassery.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

After 3 innings tonight Acuna has a .930 OPS to FF's .927...this is war to the death.

Hope they battle out for another month.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

It's interesting you noticed his OPS had surpassed FF's for a game. I'd noticed and planned a thread on it but before I had a chance Ronald went 1 for 3 and Freddie retook the team lead.
    It says a lot that he is already in that rarified air though.
    Think about this. With all the injuries Chipper's long career OPS is higher than either of those guys has for this season.

RBI+Runs scored is very tied to team performance though. Over a long career those stats are telling, but not necessarily for a snap shot moment.

Chipper was amazing and for a LONG time.