Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What's wrong with espn?

2»

Comments

• Options
    galyadawg16galyadawg16 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

@BigGAdawg said:

@galyadawg16 said:
    Pretty much all the stuff I was thinking. And yeah, I don't like any of that either. But I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't like espn overall. ESPN is definitely worse now that it was 10 years ago, 15 years ago, etc. But I still love turning on college gameday on football Saturday mornings. And even though sportcenter isn't what it used to be, I still tune in from time to time.

If you guys are looking for a media outlet that you agree with 100 percent and has no biases, you're gonna be looking for a long time.

Overall, ESPN is still pretty great imo. I guess what I'm getting at is I thinks it's awesome that mike or anyone else from dawgnation would be working with espn

Written like someone who works for ESPN.
    Especially
    **** and
    Partial to
    Northeastern teams

Extra
    Snarky
    People with
    No Integrity

Haha I can see why you would think that, but no, no affiliation whatsoever with any sort of media. I was really just trying to see what you guys think and why. I actually largely agree with everything all of you are saying.

Bonus points to you for the acronyms

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess it Is what it is re Bama bias until we beat Bama. So tired of seeing 2nd and 26 on ESPN and the Bama Channel (SEC Network)...over, and over, and over, and over. Traveling with my Uga gear on people compliment Kirby and the program, but living in AL currently... it’s been 2nd and 26 since January.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coincidentally, the slide of ESPN began with the "rise" of Keith Olbermann as a "political" pundit. He was witty, intelligent, slightly irreverent, and a whole lot funny. Hence, a popular new breed of sports reporter. I remeber a night mamy years ago when he compared a bad situation in a mismanaged football game to the "mentality" of the sitting President. First thought was being hopeful that ESPN would let him know political discord was not a part of sports reporting. Instead, they gave him a platform and the rest is history for both of them.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They focus too much on the most popular teams/athletes.

It’s all LeBron James, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Golden State Warriors, New York Yankees, blah, blah.

If they had a bit more breadth in their reporting, they would be MUCH more interesting.

Thinking Out Loud is back. That’s far and away the most fun show to watch on TV.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

I think they bought into the social media hype. They program as though social media drives culture and it doesn't. They seem to be figuring this out now and are making changes. With all the cord cutting they're going to have to make some changes.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They need to cut out all the political commentary and stick with just sports. Unfortunately they really don't have much competition on TV.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Not to turn this into a rhetorical question but on the flip side why not ask "Whats right with ESPN". To me, one good example is broadcasting the many games that otherwise would not get coverage. The Dawgs game this Saturday is a testament to this. Not long ago about the only way you could get any coverage on the Austin Peay game would be radio.
    The talking heads show time that ESPN has to use as filler, compares to me as nothing more than daytime soap operas.

On another note has anyone noticed this article compliments of ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24483715/jay-z-beyonce-show-leads-south-carolina-replace-field

Yep, I'll believe it when I see it in 12 days.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBones said:
    Not to turn this into a rhetorical question but on the flip side why not ask "Whats right with ESPN". To me, one good example is broadcasting the many games that otherwise would not get coverage. The Dawgs game this Saturday is a testament to this. Not long ago about the only way you could get any coverage on the Austin Peay game would be radio.
    The talking heads show time that ESPN has to use as filler compares, to me at least, as nothing more than daytime soap operas.

On another note has anyone noticed this article compliments of ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24483715/jay-z-beyonce-show-leads-south-carolina-replace-field

Yep, I'll believe it when I see it in 12 days.

Fingers crossed. Hope it doesn't turn into another Neyland Stadium deal.