Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How about Eric Stokes!!!

ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enough grousing. Eric Stokes stepped in and had one heck of a game. He came to UGA as a project. No one knew if he would pan out. He made a great play on the blocked punt. He came in for Campbell, Lock went after him, and he was solid at CB. How about some props for young Eric.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

Pleasant surprise for sure. Great for depth for him to get some game reps too

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

He got a lucky break with the blocked punt. Mizzou completely screwed up that play and ?Stokes ran in unblocked as were several other Georgia players. Still, he took advantage of the break and made an excellent play.

I was even more impressed watching him cover receivers. Kirby will make the right decision. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Stokes starting.

• Options
    insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was at the G-day game and had to look up “who’s #27?” Because he was making plays against our 1’s that day. He has continued to improve and was capable and prepared when his number was called! Congrats to him for working hard and showing out!

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only critique is that he needs to get his head around.
    He was in excellent position each time, covered the wideout like a glove, but on big stages, some refs over referee. (Ie natty last year)

• Options
    finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:
    He got a lucky break with the blocked punt. Mizzou completely screwed up that play and ?Stokes ran in unblocked as were several other Georgia players. Still, he took advantage of the break and made an excellent play.

I was even more impressed watching him cover receivers. Kirby will make the right decision. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Stokes starting.

Maybe so, but that's the thing: every team makes mistakes throughout the game, some large, others minuscule, but the ability to recognize them in your opponent as they happen and be able to capitalize off them is a large part of what makes players/teams great:

• Options
    MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:

Stokes stepped up & played a good game helping us win but Stokes better start getting his head turned around when covering those WR or he is going to start getting a lot of pass interference calls. A good team have players to step up & find ways to win

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@bmauldin said:
    He was in excellent position each time, covered the wideout like a glove, but on big stages, some refs over referee. (Ie natty last year)

Yeah, I noticed how coverage on their receivers seemed like our backs were to the ball. Close coverage and liberal use of hands, but nothing worthy of a penalty. Pretty effective strategy. But yes, if he can turn his head around, even better. Seems like the rare player that can actually do both.
    Although, positioning matters too I suppose. Running side by side a receiver would enable a defender to turn his head more easily, but when your running for your life just trying to blanket the player from behind, like Stokes did, it's hard to turn your head around in that particular scenario.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@finesse92 said:

@levander said:

Maybe so, but that's the thing: every team makes mistakes throughout the game, some large, others minuscule, but the ability to recognize them in your opponent as they happen and be able to capitalize off them is a large part of what makes players/teams great:

Exactly. Be an opportunist. Whatever it takes.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He had 3 official defended passes and that perfect blocked punt and recovery for a td. He was huge for us.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@levander said:

Stokes stepped up & played a good game helping us win but Stokes better start getting his head turned around when covering those WR or he is going to start getting a lot of pass interference calls. A good team have players to step up & find ways to win

Some DBs are very good at reading receivers and getting their hands in the way without seeing the ball. You don't get the ints that way, but it can be effective in preventing completions.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

Agreed, very pleased to see his track speed has converted well over to game speed. From what I can remeber, not only was he in the receivers hip pocket every play, but on at least a couple catches he still got his arm up and between the receivers. Just some really good catches by that big TE that I’m not sure a lot of other guys come down with. I think Stokes played even better than his stats show.

• Options

@MarkBoknecht said:

@bmauldin said:

Yeah, I noticed how coverage on their receivers seemed like our backs were to the ball. Close coverage and liberal use of hands, but nothing worthy of a penalty. Pretty effective strategy. But yes, if he can turn his head around, even better. Seems like the rare player that can actually do both.
    Although, positioning matters too I suppose. Running side by side a receiver would enable a defender to turn his head more easily, but when your running for your life just trying to blanket the player from behind, like Stokes did, it's hard to turn your head around in that particular scenario.

But they called kindley and Ledbetter for very little.

Ledbetter has to be called since it was on a qb (like it or not). I just don’t like to leave it up to the refs.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@insertusernamehere said:
    I was at the G-day game and had to look up “who’s #27?” Because he was making plays against our 1’s that day. He has continued to improve and was capable and prepared when his number was called! Congrats to him for working hard and showing out!

That’s exactly what I was doing. I couldn’t figure out who #27 was. He had a nice passbreakup in the end zone. Kid deserves more pt.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stokes and Campbell will b a terrific duo in 2019. Would love to see Webb and Ameer Speed step up to provide the level of competition needed to keep those guys motivated. Chris Smith could b a factor as well as he gets more comfortable in the defense but I understand he's also been getting reps at Safety. Hopefully, the light comes on at Safety for Brini, Reese and Bishop and I think between Poole and Gibbs Star is well spoken for. The future looks extremely bright for Georgia's secondary. And I didn't even mention LeCounte.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Divaad Wilson will push for playing time somewhere in the secondary next year. Looked like McGhee was playing star most of the time against Missouri.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

Georgia teaches them not to turn and look for the ball if they are out of phase. If they are out of phase, they put their hands up and through the receiver's hands when the receiver puts his hands up.

• Options

@MIghtydawg said:

@bmauldin said:

Georgia teaches them not to turn and look for the ball if they are out of phase. If they are out of phase, they put their hands up and through the receiver's hands when the receiver puts his hands up.

He seemed to be blanketing the wr perfect each play, just turning his head slightly eliminates almost any chance of a pi call.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:
    Pleasant surprise for sure. Great for depth for him to get some game reps too

It is always pleasant and encouraging when the "next man up" is actually able to step up and get the job done. I have to admit that I am still a little nervous when the next man has to step up; just too many years without this level of quality depth. (I look forward to how we look after another couple of years of Kirby and Company reeling in the big fish.) I was glad to see how Stokes handled the situation. Now we can really look forward to more from him in the future. BIG WOOF!!!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Extremely impressed with him. Also the simple toughness of Cambell. Guy played through a stomach bug, reports of him throwing up during the game. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a sniveling baby when I get a stomach bug.