Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Coach's Poll....Are you serious?!

MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just checked the latest rankings to see the latest SEC rankings...and was shocked to see that Virginia Tech is still ranked! Resume: 2-1, Beating a terrible Florida State team and William & Mary (an FCS team)....and losing to an 0-3 Old Dominion team by 14 points. Laughable. By comparison, I'd say S. Carolina, also 2-1, has a much better resume...but still isn't ranked (would be 33, if you go by votes).

I know, I know...it ultimately doesn't make a difference. But, I think rankings still have a role in how conferences, teams, and wins/losses against such teams are perceived nationally.

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Virginia Tech beat at the time a top 25 team. Thats the only reason. That Old dominion loss is horrible.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    why the coaches poll has any weight when these coaches are coaching a game and not watching a game has always baffled me

Maybe they have a designated GA who does it.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Virginia Tech beat at the time a top 25 team. Thats the only reason. That Old dominion loss is horrible.

Of course, that is why. But after a certain point (hey, we're four games in), you have to start respecting the actual results instead of what you thought before the season started (preseason rankings). Florida State is just BAD. I wouldn't have them in a top 50....maybe not even in a top 75.

It's pretty clear that the brand, reputation, and conference pecking order have as much to do with the rankings than the actual quality of the team based on results. For example....would a Wisconsin (#13), Michigan (#15) or Michigan State (#18) be favored against Texas A&M (who's not even sniffing Top 25 status)? Questionable.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

Boston college is supposed to be a top 3 contender in the ACC this year because the ACC teams are doing so bad

then boston college loses to perdue (badly) and perdue lost to missouri

the entire ACC is currently a joke. Clemson winning by 2 points against TAMU and then alabama beating TAMU by 22

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Boston college is supposed to be a top 3 contender in the ACC this year because the ACC teams are doing so bad

the entire ACC is currently a joke. Clemson winning by 2 points against TAMU and then alabama beating TAMU by 22

fan of e.e. cummings? son of sonny? or both?

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Of course, that is why. But after a certain point (hey, we're four games in), you have to start respecting the actual results instead of what you thought before the season started (preseason rankings). Florida State is just BAD. I wouldn't have them in a top 50....maybe not even in a top 75.

It's pretty clear that the brand, reputation, and conference pecking order have as much to do with the rankings than the actual quality of the team based on results. For example....would a Wisconsin (#13), Michigan (#15) or Michigan State (#18) be favored against Texas A&M (who's not even sniffing Top 25 status)? Questionable.

But the same thing is why UGA and Bama made the playoffs last year. Its about who you play and their standing when you played them. Perfect example obviously UGA fans want a good undefeated Kentucky and LSU and a one loss Auburn come the time to play those respective teams so that when the game is played they're at their highest spot. Auburn was a 2 loss team that was 7th in the playoffs for a reason last year. But I get your side as well. But I think a lot changes factor (teams aren't who we thought they were, injuries, coaches not up to par, etc).

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe a bit tangential, but I've long thought that any preseason poll should be abolished. There shouldn't even be a poll until, I dunno, 6-8 games into the season.

@AnotherDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

fan of e.e. cummings? son of sonny? or both?

I liked e.e. cummings when I had to read it in college. Not sure about what is meant by son of sonny.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@donm said:
    I liked e.e. cummings when I had to read it in college. Not sure about what is meant by son of sonny.

Spelling Purdue with an "e" both times. It seemed funny to me at the time. Was relieved that @PharmDawg2054 graciously acknowledged the attempt at humor and didn't take it the wrong way.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sonny Perdue, ex-governor of Ga and head of the Perdue Chicken empire.

@coastaldawg said:

May sound a bit weird but I'm guessing Dawg Nation and partaken of many of his chickens', er,,,uh...chests.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018
  • BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does anyone know how much OD got paid to play in this game? I cannot remember a season when so many cupcakes won as this year.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

@kelly_b said:
    Maybe a bit tangential, but I've long thought that any preseason poll should be abolished. There shouldn't even be a poll until, I dunno, 6-8 games into the season.

The pre season poll is purely for tv ratings and giving media/fans something to argue about. Its hard to sell ad time for two unranked teams or drum up interest on a national scale

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deutcshland_dawg said:

@kelly_b said:

The pre season poll is purely for tv ratings and giving media/fans something to argue about. Its hard to sell ad time for two unranked teams or drum up interest on a national scale

That sounds like good reasoning to me, but for those of us who follow the game, we don't really need to be convinced by pre-season rankings. I agree with you, but it (sometimes) skews the season unfairly.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:

He has nothing to do with Perdue Chicken. Not even related to the family