Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Trae Young had his first monster game for The Hawks...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He went off for 35 pts, 11 assist, 2 rebounds, 1 steal and a block against Cleveland tonight.
All 3 of the 2018 draft picks had games.
Between the 3 they had 61 pts, 16 assist, 13 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks. Maybe the new GM from Golden State knows his stuff.

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Free Danny Ferry!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Free Danny Ferry!

Maybe we finally have his replacement.
    Firing him over what was a big nothing set the organization back 5 years or more.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Free Danny Ferry!

Firing him over what was a big nothing set the organization back 5 years or more.

Yeah, he got hosed pretty bad. This guy may be good though. His picks so far have been good solid players and one potential really good player. I think he’s getting guys good for his pace and space type game.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Free Danny Ferry!

Yeah, he got hosed pretty bad. This guy may be good though. His picks so far have been good solid players and one potential really good player. I think he’s getting guys good for his pace and space type game.

All 3 guys can shoot 3s and 2 of them are excellent passers, the other is a good passer for his position.
    He was instrumental in putting this GS team together.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last two rookies to score 35 and ten since 2000 are lebron james and steph curry.
    So excited to be a hawks fan rn

@benjaminwgregg said:
    The last two rookies to score 35 and ten since 2000 are lebron james and steph curry.

35 is a really big number and to be just his 3rd game is unreal, plus the assists to go with it. Hate to say it but maybe they've found the league's next superstar.

edited October 2018

@benjaminwgregg said:

Additionally, Steph Curry did it on Feb 10 of his rookie year in game 51.

To expand on what you've said, here is what cbssports had to say: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/trae-young-becomes-first-rookie-since-steph-curry-to-drop-at-least-35-points-and-10-assists-in-a-game/

In doing so, Young became the first rookie since Stephen Curry to record at least 35 points and 10 assists in a game. In the past 25 years, the only other players to accomplish that feat besides Young and Curry are LeBron James, Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd.

Furthermore, Young became the second-youngest player in league history to have a game with those stats, doing so at 20 years and 32 days old. The record holder in that regard is none other than James, who once put up 41 points and 13 assists when he was still 19 years old, which is just absurd.

But back to Young. This was exactly the type of performance the Hawks envisioned when they made the decision to deal Luka Doncic for him on draft night. Young stretches the floor to extreme lengths with his ability to hit deep 3s, but more importantly, he showed on Sunday that he can get into the lane to create for himself and others.

It's still super early in Young's career, and there's no guarantees in this league, but when you're joining the history books alongside the likes of Curry and LeBron in Game 3, that's a pretty good place to start.

I'm uncomfortable with the ''superstar'' talk, he is an exciting talent, but that is very premature.
    Also as far as rookies who have had 35-10. Magic Johnson had in my opinion the greatest performance in NBA history in game 6 of the finals against The Sixers in 1980 as a 19 year old rookie. He had 42 points, 15 rebounds and 7 assist. More remarkable still he played center for the injured Kareem Abdul Jabbar and guarded Julius Irving, it was a transcendent performance.

• 706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker said:

@benjaminwgregg said:

35 is a really big number and to be just his 3rd game is unreal, plus the assists to go with it. Hate to say it but maybe they've found the league's next superstar.

Why hate to say? Is this not a good thing for the Hawks?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just keep tanking the season(s) to get high draft picks, since it's highly unlikely they'll ever spend enough money to build veteran, all-star rosters. Basically emulate the 76ers plan. Need a handful more of good draft picks to make this team a viable playoff team.

A nice start but wait for him to hit the rookie wall - the NBA season is very loonnnggg. Most rookies wear down, kind of like he did during the 2nd half of his college season last year. > @Teddy said:

Just keep tanking the season(s) to get high draft picks, since it's highly unlikely they'll ever spend enough money to build veteran, all-star rosters. Basically emulate the 76ers plan. Need a handful more of good draft picks to make this team a viable playoff team.

I think the plan is to emulate the Warriors - not the 76ers.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn’t see that coming. His shooting % has been down prior to yesterday.

I like the way Omari is getting boards. He gets after it.

@donm said:

A nice start but wait for him to hit the rookie wall - the NBA season is very loonnnggg. Most rookies wear down, kind of like he did during the 2nd half of his college season last year. > @Teddy said:

The Warriors have been one of the top spending teams since getting K-D and re-upping on Steph and others. I don't see the Hawks being a top 3 spending team year-in and year-out like the Warriors seem committed to do. I get what you're saying as far as drafting good players, but they also invested big bucks too. Hawks are likely only going to do the former of those two.

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I didn’t see that coming. His shooting % has been down prior to yesterday.

I like the way Omari is getting boards. He gets after it.

This was his 3rd real game in The NBA. Somebody here complained that he was adjusting too slow last summer, that was after a few short appearances in summer league games. So his shooting was off for his first 2 pro games, that isn't exactly news worthy. Last night's performance sure is though.

It was Huerter not Spellman who had the big rebound game, he had 10 boards, he also had 4 assists, 2 blocks and 9 points.
    Spellman had 17 pts and was 4 of 5 on 3 pt shots. Getting shooting like that from a forward is very Golden State like.

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

The Warriors have been one of the top spending teams since getting K-D and re-upping on Steph and others. I don't see the Hawks being a top 3 spending team year-in and year-out like the Warriors seem committed to do. I get what you're saying as far as drafting good players, but they also invested big bucks too. Hawks are likely only going to do the former of those two.

GS is moving the team to new digs in S.F. after this season. It will take a sea change for The Hawks to attract a player like Durant, but the team that won the other 2 titles was homegrown and affordable at the time. Who knows what could happen if The Hawks build a real contender through the draft, The Braves remade themselves in the 90s and attracted top free agents.
    I've never understood why the Atlanta rap/hip hop community hasn't gotten behind the team. If they ever win that niche they could become a destination franchise.

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

GS is moving the team to new digs in S.F. after this season. It will take a sea change for The Hawks to attract a player like Durant, but the team that won the other 2 titles was homegrown and affordable at the time. Who knows what could happen if The Hawks build a real contender through the draft, The Braves remade themselves in the 90s and attracted top free agents.
    I've never understood why the Atlanta rap/hip hop community hasn't gotten behind the team. If they ever win that niche they could become a destination franchise.

That’s what I was getting at. Tank some seasons and draft good players, as Atlanta doesn’t go after a ton of big name free agents. Getting picks like Draymond Green in the second round will help a franchise a lot too. Having a good, young nucleus may attract elite veteran talent...

On another note, Prince shot an awful lot last game and missed way too much to keep shooting from outside.

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

That’s what I was getting at. Tank some seasons and draft good players, as Atlanta doesn’t go after a ton of big name free agents. Getting picks like Draymond Green in the second round will help a franchise a lot too. Having a good, young nucleus may attract elite veteran talent...

On another note, Prince shot an awful lot last game and missed way too much to keep shooting from outside.

We have 2 more drafts with extra picks. Unfortunately the 2019 pool looks historically weak. 2020 already has 2 very elite kids on the radar, but unless more trades are made we likely won't be in the mix by then.
    The 2018 draft was our best shot at building a foundation, we might have nailed it.

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

We have 2 more drafts with extra picks. Unfortunately the 2019 pool looks historically weak. 2020 already has 2 very elite kids on the radar, but unless more trades are made we likely won't be in the mix by then.
    The 2018 draft was our best shot at building a foundation, we might have nailed it.

This may be the year to go foreign player hunting if the college pool is not deep.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

This may be the year to go foreign player hunting if the college pool is not deep.

We have our pick plus a top 5 protected pick from Cleveland, beating them last night was sort of self defeating...maybe.
    Who knows maybe some talent will emerge, but right now the projected top guy has a 94 rating and is compared to Michael Redd. He might not have gone in the top 10 in the 2018 draft.

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

We have our pick plus a top 5 protected pick from Cleveland, beating them last night was sort of self defeating...maybe.
    Who knows maybe some talent will emerge, but right now the projected top guy has a 94 rating and is compared to Michael Redd. He might not have gone in the top 10 in the 2018 draft.

Good left handed jumper? And quite underwhelming.