Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Bologna Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well here's a bit of nostalgia. I haven't even thought of, let alone eaten, bologna in a long, long while. I do recall eating many bologna sandwiches back in the day...sometimes fried with eggs but mostly cold with white bread and mayonnaise. Kind of goes with some of the posts I've read recently, as in "he's full of baloney".

In a seeming oddity, today is also National Food Day, which is supposed to encourage people to eat "real" foods...nuts, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I guess we have a choice

Comments

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a kid, "full of bologna" meant you couldn't afford salami or roast beef, therefore, you were poor and ****. Thank goodness political correctness corrected all that.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Well here's a bit of nostalgia. I haven't even thought of, let alone eaten, bologna in a long, long while. I do recall eating many bologna sandwiches back in the day...sometimes fried with eggs but mostly cold with white bread and mayonnaise. Kind of goes with some of the posts I've read recently, as in "he's full of baloney".

In a seeming oddity, today is also National Food Day, which is supposed to encourage people to eat "real" foods...nuts, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I guess we have a choice

Isn't baloney just a flat weeny ?

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Ok Beach, I’ll have a roast beef and Swiss with everything on a Dutch crunch roll please.

What’s that in the back, next to the broccoli salad? Is that potato salad? Ok, I’ll have some of that, too please.

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Ok Beach, I’ll have a roast beef and Swiss with everything on a Dutch crunch roll please.

What’s that in the back, next to the broccoli salad? Is that potato salad? Ok, I’ll have some of that, too please.

Make mine a Rueben on marbled rye with German potato salad and a St Pauly's Girl brew.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Make mine a Rueben on marbled rye with German potato salad and a St Pauly's Girl brew.

Mmmmmmm, Rueben.........and to think it’s only 8 am here, lol

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well holy smokes.... I was just thinking earlier today I really wanted a fried bologna sandwich for lunch. Let me tell ya.... I was living good and even had some onion rings

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Fried balogna sandwich. The bread must be toasted and 3 slits cut from the middle while frying so it will stay flat. Add just ketchup

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg said:
    Fried balogna sandwich. The bread must be toasted and 3 slits cut from the middle while frying so it will stay flat. Add just ketcup

RPM bro knows good living

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

"...cold with white bread and mayonnaise." Had a thousand of those as a kid. Now my own kids eat sushi. Is that progress? Who knows. No doubt the sushi is better for their bodies, but their souls could probably use a little bologna.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

"...cold with white bread and mayonnaise." Had a thousand of those as a kid. Now my own kids eat sushi. Is that progress? Who knows. No doubt the sushi is better for their bodies, but their souls could probably use a little bologna.

I agree it would be good for their souls. However, some on this board would claim that they have "regressed".

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That kid is priceless. He was a way better at 4-5 that I ever was. Wonder what he's doing these days.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mmmmm good ole fried round steak.

edited October 2018

National Bo-lo-mi Day.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not good to fry any processed meats due to formation of nitrosamines - cancer causing thingies. Heat but do not overheat.
    Can now find some products without nitrites, while nitrates are mostly a thing of the past. All in moderation, and lower heat. As Spike would say, Bone Appetite.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg said:
    Fried balogna sandwich. The bread must be toasted and 3 slits cut from the middle while frying so it will stay flat. Add just ketchup

Pretty tasty with some BBQ sauce, too!