Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A one time very off topic comment...

Comments

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:
    The problem with the national conversation started in the media. Where way too many people just decided it’s a lot easier to make a buck mud slinging rather than to try to educate people. It’s to the point know where it’s impossible to find a legitimate news source covering politics. And then more and more people wanted more and more partisan leaders. You guys who don’t realize what a terrible partisan Obama was were entirely hoodwinked. And then it got to the point where in a general way, 51% of the nation felt like we needed a big mouth to be president to try to beat some of this nonsense back.

This whole thing is part of a process. Acting like there’s just one guy causing it all and if we’d just vote for someone different... You’re still gonna have the underlying fundamental problem of a nation who doesn’t know how to discuss issues. And maybe it doesn’t manifest itself through Trump. But it manifests itself in other ways. And not being able to discuss real problems that need to be fixed, it’s gonna manifest itself in terribly **** ways. A lot uglier than just having to have a president who tweets mean things,

When you have leaders calling mostly peaceful people rapist and murderers, constantly calling the press and the opposition enemies of the people, etc, etc, it will find its way into vulnerable minds and lead to sick actions, that is 100% predictable.

We can be better than this.

That is an incredibly one-sided and biased way of looking at things.

No it's not.
    There is no comparison to the vitriol coming from the leader of the free world. These sick people make it clear that is their source of reference.

I see your source is CNN, Crazy News Network.

FAKE NEWS

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    To the comment about countries who have banned “assault weapons” they simply have stabbing and knife attacks.

Also assault weapons are banned in this country as well.

And knife attacks are typically much less deadly than ar-15 attacks, and more easily countered by a "good guy with a gun"

And fully automatic rifles are banned but not assault weapons. We used to have a ban but it sunset in the mid 2000s and now the ar-15 is the most popular rifle in America.

So there’s very few ar-15 attacks and massive amounts of knife attacks.
    I’m not sure you understand the definition of an assault rifle. Ar15s aren’t assault rifles, assault rifles are fully automatic. If you want to complain about high capacity magazines that would be a better debate. The real problem is not blaming people for their actions and blaming things.

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:
    The left likes to blame the president for creating all this hatred and emotionalism and general chaos that the left has unleashed on society (lets be honest, it’s not conservative groups out there rioting, harassing people, chasing them out of restaurants and threatening violence if they don’t get their way). Trump didn’t create this hatred, he revealed it. It has always been there on the left. They have been in charge for a long time so there was no need for these intimidation tactics. You simply can not blame others for your bad behavior. There is no such thing as “triggering”. That is a lazy person’s excuse. That used to be called immaturity and childishness.

Easy with the realism, liberals don’t like it.

Did you decide to say this before or after you realized OP was liberal

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:
    The left likes to blame the president for creating all this hatred and emotionalism and general chaos that the left has unleashed on society (lets be honest, it’s not conservative groups out there rioting, harassing people, chasing them out of restaurants and threatening violence if they don’t get their way). Trump didn’t create this hatred, he revealed it. It has always been there on the left. They have been in charge for a long time so there was no need for these intimidation tactics. You simply can not blame others for your bad behavior. There is no such thing as “triggering”. That is a lazy person’s excuse. That used to be called immaturity and childishness.

I have no clue what the OP political view point is. Could be libertarian for all I know, I was just replying to a post with an opinion.

How TF could you think the OP was possibly libertarian

I see no token mention of marijuana legalization anywhere even with my magnifying glass

The point was I don’t know nor do I care what the OP political affiliations are. Pretty sure I replied to @pgjackson comment. If you’re going to continue reaching I’ll get you a step ladder.

You've had a hair trigger for accusations of racism at the OP. I mean if I had to guess I'd think you were a liberal based on that alone, but since the OP is pretty admittedly liberal you're here joining the pile on

Did I say anything like that in this thread? You’re the neighborhood troll, you haven’t posted a legitimate post here ever.

There's no need to get so personal FFS

No reaching here at all

You're piling on because of who the OP is and you know it

OP started the thread not me, I simply posted a reply. I haven’t even mentioned OP.

@12ed said:

@12ed said:
    @bigdawg2223
    DV me one more time and we're meeting up at the Costco in Kennesaw to settle this once and for all, big boy

C u there today at 4pm. DV me one more time and I'll be there in 30 minutes, punk

Thought your whole meaningless point for being here was to get DVs? Are you a confused troll?

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    The problem with the national conversation started in the media. Where way too many people just decided it’s a lot easier to make a buck mud slinging rather than to try to educate people. It’s to the point know where it’s impossible to find a legitimate news source covering politics. And then more and more people wanted more and more partisan leaders. You guys who don’t realize what a terrible partisan Obama was were entirely hoodwinked. And then it got to the point where in a general way, 51% of the nation felt like we needed a big mouth to be president to try to beat some of this nonsense back.

This whole thing is part of a process. Acting like there’s just one guy causing it all and if we’d just vote for someone different... You’re still gonna have the underlying fundamental problem of a nation who doesn’t know how to discuss issues. And maybe it doesn’t manifest itself through Trump. But it manifests itself in other ways. And not being able to discuss real problems that need to be fixed, it’s gonna manifest itself in terribly **** ways. A lot uglier than just having to have a president who tweets mean things,

Fact is, a great majority of people in the country only listen to media that they agree with, never hearing a reasonable other side. This creates a greater divide, then the media does what a free market will tend to do, which is find out how to make money. This creates a greater divide. We need reasonable debate in this country, but given how difficult that can be even for us, who all love out DAWGS but yet still get into it with each other, imagine those with real disagreements.

@bigdawg2223 said:

@benjaminwgregg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    edit: image didn't post

What is the common factor in parkland, aurora, pulse, vegas, that texas church, sandy hook, san bernadino and now pittsburgh?

Its not trump, its the ar-15

San Bernardino was an ak I thought? What is the explanation for the period of time between the lift and 2010?

AR, 9mm, and pipe bombs.

@greygoose01 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@benjaminwgregg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    edit: image didn't post

What is the common factor in parkland, aurora, pulse, vegas, that texas church, sandy hook, san bernadino and now pittsburgh?

Its not trump, its the ar-15

San Bernardino was an ak I thought? What is the explanation for the period of time between the lift and 2010?

AR, 9mm, and pipe bombs.

I stand corrected

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

I have no clue what the OP political view point is. Could be libertarian for all I know, I was just replying to a post with an opinion.

I see no token mention of marijuana legalization anywhere even with my magnifying glass

The point was I don’t know nor do I care what the OP political affiliations are. Pretty sure I replied to @pgjackson comment. If you’re going to continue reaching I’ll get you a step ladder.

You've had a hair trigger for accusations of racism at the OP. I mean if I had to guess I'd think you were a liberal based on that alone, but since the OP is pretty admittedly liberal you're here joining the pile on

Did I say anything like that in this thread? You’re the neighborhood troll, you haven’t posted a legitimate post here ever.

No reaching here at all

OP started the thread not me, I simply posted a reply. I haven’t even mentioned OP.

You're here baiting him since the e-revenge strategy of racism accusations failed.

Why are you pretending like you don't even know who the OP is after you spent days trying to exact e-vengeance upon him?

You're very easily the most disingenuous poster on this board SMH. I hate fakes

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

No reaching here at all

You're here baiting him since the e-revenge strategy of racism accusations failed.

Why are you pretending like you don't even know who the OP is after you spent days trying to exact e-vengeance upon him?

You're very easily the most disingenuous poster on this board SMH. I hate fakes

Disingenuous

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

Truth bomb here. Very nice post.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    I think it’s worth asking ourselves whether the leader referred to above (and others in leadership in our country) is/are the cause of the current state of affairs or the result of a longstanding change in our general discourse in our country?

I think it’s also worth asking ourselves whether we have the ability, through our vote, our choice of who and what we listen to, and the way we live our own lives, to change the direction of that discourse.

The right to speak doesn’t confer the right to be heard. The speaker must earn that. If we don’t like what we’re hearing, we should turn it off until the message changes.

We’re still a free people, and we still have agency. We need to act like it.

Good stuff. The problem is with people who feel emboldened (and supported by their political leaders) to physically threaten and intimidate others they disagree with. That is the terrifying part. It's not enough for them to simply state their opposition and let others decide which is better. They want to silence and demonize the opposition through constant mobs, attacks, threats, and riotous behavior. They want to make sure that everyone understands that if you disagree with them they will suffer the same retribution. They are not interested in polite discourse or a sharing of ideas. They want conversion and control. Do these mobs of angry rioters represent your political leanings? If so, you are part of the problem.

I hope everyone does some serious soul-searching before voting in the mid-terms. There is a wave of political violence sweeping the country that is unacceptable in a peaceful and lawful society. Even if you fundamentally disagree with a particular political party, are you willing to support the side that actively encourages the intimidation of its citizens and believes public shaming and humiliation are effective and acceptable methods to address issues? This mid-term election is bigger than just typical political issues like immigration, the economy, national security, jobs...it's about what kind of country do we want to live in. I certainly don't want to live in a country where roving bands of rioters control the political process and the rule of law is supplanted by the rule of emotionalism.

History is replete with societies that got lost in cult like hatred.

replete? Strong word... I don't see the majority of countries in the world full of hate. I don't see that at all. What I do see is a hyper focus on any hate that does arise. Trying to take an incident and manufacture it into a world wide crisis. Also known as fear mongering. Is there bad in the world? You bet there is. But there is far more good, and it doesn't get the 5 oclock news. See levander's post above for reference. I really like how elegantly he put that.

edited October 2018

@benjaminwgregg said:
    If we ban assault weapons, we may not stop mass shootings, but we'd definitely make them less effective, and our cops would be safer. 3 cops got shot in Pittsburgh b/c crazy people have better weapons than street cops, and equivalent weapons to SWAT. Thats a problem, and what would a security guard do to stop it, if he's bringing a glock vs an ar 15, and the gunman has the element if surprise?

That’s why they call for backup. Civilian cops don’t get issued an AR, only a Sig, or sometimes a Glock - depends on the agency. Could be a 9mm or 40. If said officer goes down, do you want a lunatic taking an AR off their person? NO.

Also, educate yourself on assault weapons:

https://www.nssf.org/msr/

AR also doesn’t stand for assault rifle either.

Since you want to post statistics, how about doing some research on which guns cause the most homicides every year. It’s a handgun, not an AR.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/28/guns-and-deaths-in-america-the-numbers/amp/

Should we ban shotguns, long guns, and hand guns just because they have a trigger? It’s not the gun’s fault. A gun’s effectiveness is only maximized by how fast/strong your finger reflexes are at pulling the trigger, while maintaining accuracy. Have you ever been to a shooting competition? Ever heard of Gunsite? Just curious...

The 2nd Amendment is there for a reason.

Now, if you want to ban something, ban bump stocks, and IDIOTS. You have my permission.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

Is Senator Corker liberal ? Jeff Flake or almost every mainstream republican ? because Corky and Flake are leaving the Senate, that is why they are willing to speak truth to power. Most made it clear before Trump was elected they consider him a rabble rousing fraud, they are just keeping quiet because they want to keep their jobs. Lindsey Graham is the absolute worst. He was very critical of Trump, using language similar to what I do. Once McCain became terminally ill he jumped ship and became Trump's biggest butt boy in The Senate, I have no respect for the weasel.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    If we ban assault weapons, we may not stop mass shootings, but we'd definitely make them less effective, and our cops would be safer. 3 cops got shot in Pittsburgh b/c crazy people have better weapons than street cops, and equivalent weapons to SWAT. Thats a problem, and what would a security guard do to stop it, if he's bringing a glock vs an ar 15, and the gunman has the element if surprise?

That’s why they call for backup. Civilian cops don’t get issued an AR, only a Sig, or sometimes a Glock - depends on the agency. Could be a 9mm or 40. If said officer goes down, do you want a lunatic taking an AR off their person? NO.

Since you want to post statistics, how about doing some research on which guns cause the most homicides every year. It’s a handgun, not an AR.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/28/guns-and-deaths-in-america-the-numbers/amp/

Should we ban shotguns, long guns, and hand guns just because they have a trigger? It’s not the gun’s fault. A gun’s effectiveness is only maximized by how fast/strong your finger reflexes are at pulling the trigger, while maintaining accuracy. Have you ever been to a shooting competition? Ever heard of Gunsite? Just curious...

Now, if you want to ban something, ban bump stocks, and IDIOTS. You have my permission.

I'm not talking about banning guns, nor advocating cops be issued ar-15s. I am saying we can reduce the most deadly and shocking incidents by banning the most efficient and effective killing machines available.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

You just need to state theories such as, blaming the president for a mentally unstable man’s actions. It’ll flyover real well with the crowd. Then make sure you don’t hear anyone out and treat your word as the gospel and bam, you’ve “won” the argument. It’s science. Hope I didn’t get too technical for you. Please refer to @WCDawg for any further explanation needed, as it’s pretty advanced for me.

Did ANYONE blame Obama for any of the mass shootings that happened on his watch? Nope.

@benjaminwgregg said:

@greygoose01 said:

@benjaminwgregg said:

I'm not talking about banning guns, nor advocating cops be issued ar-15s. I am saying we can reduce the most deadly and shocking incidents by banning the most efficient and effective killing machines available.

Effective killing machines? Sarcasm alert - So should we ban businesses with plants/warehouses where workers run machines? They cause deaths too, much worse than guns.

But serious, what exactly do you mean by effective killing machines lol. This I must know...

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:

@benjaminwgregg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    To the comment about countries who have banned “assault weapons” they simply have stabbing and knife attacks.

Also assault weapons are banned in this country as well.

And knife attacks are typically much less deadly than ar-15 attacks, and more easily countered by a "good guy with a gun"

And fully automatic rifles are banned but not assault weapons. We used to have a ban but it sunset in the mid 2000s and now the ar-15 is the most popular rifle in America.

So there’s very few ar-15 attacks and massive amounts of knife attacks.
    I’m not sure you understand the definition of an assault rifle. Ar15s aren’t assault rifles, assault rifles are fully automatic. If you want to complain about high capacity magazines that would be a better debate. The real problem is not blaming people for their actions and blaming things.

To be "technical" there is no such thing an "assault rifle". It is not, nor has it ever been, a classification of rifles. It is purely a figment of the liberal media. AR stands for Armalite Rifle. Its the name of the company that invented it. 20 years in the Marines, never heard the term "Assault Rifle" used to describe any weapon. There are automatic rifles (machine guns), semi-automatic rifles, and handguns.

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@pgjackson said:

Is Senator Corker liberal ? Jeff Flake or almost every mainstream republican ? because Corky and Flake are leaving the Senate, that is why they are willing to speak truth to power. Most made it clear before Trump was elected they consider him a rabble rousing fraud, they are just keeping quiet because they want to keep their jobs. Lindsey Graham is the absolute worst. He was very critical of Trump, using language similar to what I do. Once McCain became terminally ill he jumped ship and became Trump's biggest butt boy in The Senate, I have no respect for the weasel.

Yeah Corker and Flake are mainstream Republicans. Mainstream republicans are the democrat's shoe mat, and they have been for quite some time.

BULL CHIT, Congress and The Senate are far more partisan than at any other point in modern history. both republicans and democrats vote very near party lines on almost every issue.

@greygoose01 said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

When you have leaders calling mostly peaceful people rapist and murderers, constantly calling the press and the opposition enemies of the people, etc, etc, it will find its way into vulnerable minds and lead to sick actions, that is 100% predictable.

We can be better than this.

That is an incredibly one-sided and biased way of looking at things.

No it's not.
    There is no comparison to the vitriol coming from the leader of the free world. These sick people make it clear that is their source of reference.

I see your source is CNN, Crazy News Network.

FAKE NEWS

Yeah, cause reality is whatever nonsense Trump spews.
    He can bypass the 14th amendment with the **** of a pen.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you think one side caused any of this then you are way off base. Our Hyperbole and willingness to attack those that disagree with us is what caused our current situation. What passes for calling something fake news is embarrassing. Social Media has really hurt the debate in this country for sure. It will take something large to turn the tide.