Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

With all the carping, perhaps a good bowl of Vichyssoise anyone?

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doing my due diligence and found out today is National Vichyssoise day here in the good, old US of A. With all of the carping (no pun intended here) going on lately about Fromm, Fields, blackouts, whiteouts, etc. I thought a nice bowl of soup might be in order. It is getting colder in many parts of the country, including the south and, even my new home state of FL. So...anyone even know what's in vichyssoise ? Any secret or not so secret family recipes for this stuff? Is it any better than good ole fried catfish?

Comments

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off to google.......I shall return......

Ok. It sounds yummy. Potato soup, purée with onions and garlic.

Only problem is, it’s usually served......cold.

I’m not usually one for gazpacho. I had a watermelon, acorn squash gazpacho once and it was just fair to middlin

Bigcalidawg say.........make a pot of chili!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

good call. I've had that cold too, in the past.

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not a fan of cold coffee OR cold soup.

@donm said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Please tell me it was during college, or a blackout. Cold beans are chalky.....

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Doing my due diligence and found out today is National Vichyssoise day here in the good, old US of A. With all of the carping (no pun intended here) going on lately about Fromm, Fields, blackouts, whiteouts, etc. I thought a nice bowl of soup might be in order. It is getting colder in many parts of the country, including the south and, even my new home state of FL. So...anyone even know what's in vichyssoise ? Any secret or not so secret family recipes for this stuff? Is it any better than good ole fried catfish?

As to Vichyssoise - I could have had a V8!

Since you mentioned carping, then what you want is Bouillabaisse - a French (or freedom?) fish stew/soup. I don't have a recipe, but Google should yield many choices. Basically, it is a lot of different seafood in a fish stock base.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@donm said:

Since you mentioned carping, then what you want is Bouillabaisse - a French (or freedom?) fish stew/soup. I don't have a recipe, but Google should yield many choices. Basically, it is a lot of different seafood in a fish stock base.

Maybe @kelly_b could enlighten us on Bouillabaisse.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@donm said:

We make a lot of Cioppino and Paella in this house. It’s a tomato base, but it’s good.

@Bigcalidawg said:

@donm said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Please tell me it was during college, or a blackout. Cold beans are chalky.....

It was breakfast. I have some odd tastes, to be honest.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Catfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@donm said:

Maybe @kelly_b could enlighten us on Bouillabaisse.

Bouillabaisse is amazing. Recipes are kind of like your grandma's beef stew and vary from place to place. And don't forget ceviche, either, which is great in the summer...like gazpacho. Between those three things, I'd be content with those every day for the rest of my life. And they'd all go great with a Bama butt-whoopin'.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I made that in an 8th grade foreign foods project thing of some sort. It was good, although I'm not a fan of cold soup.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cold potato and leak soup is not what this crew needs. Momma's homemade chicken soup is what'll cure the carping.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2018

As long there isn't any dried coconut in the recipe, I'll eat it. That's my no way. Reminds of Zingers. Hate Malt balls too.

@ugaforever said:
    As long there isn't any dried coconut in the recipe, I'll eat it. That's my no way. Reminds of Zingers. Hate Malt balls too.

God, I LOVED Malt balls as a kid. Couldn't get enough of them. Now, not so much. They seem mostly "air".