Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA Subscription Site Opinions

imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was thinking of asking for a subscription to one of the UGA sites for Christmas. Does anyone here pay for Rivals, 247, The Athletic (I miss Seth Emerson articles), etc? If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth it? What do you like most? Thanks!

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t and feel like I eventually find the information I am looking for even on topics outside of Dawgnation imissmuson bro.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

@JRT812 said:
    I don’t and feel like I eventually find the information I am looking for even on topics outside of Dawgnation imissmuson bro.

I'm the same. That's why I defend the Dawgnation writers when the "see no evil hear no evil" folks get mad about something Chip or whoever writes for the site...

You're not going to get the type of stuff that @JeffSentell gives us for free on any of the other sites. I would be interested to hear from others though as I've never paid for one of the premium sites.

100% scooter bro. Dawgnation has some real good and hard working people on staff. Not blowing smoke, but compared to some other boards I mess around with shows the difference between Dawgnation and the others boards.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do these sites not have free trials that you can sign up for and check out yourself?

Maybe they don’t, I’ve never checked.

Bizarre if they don’t though. Like every pay internet service I’ve ever used had a free trial associated with it.

• imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. And I’m with all of you who love DawgNation, which is why I’ve never really considered subscribing to others before. I might try the Athletic, as I’m pretty sure they have a free trial, but I haven’t even looked into the others...figured I’d get some opinions around here first. Thanks again!!! Go Dawgs!

• strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have been on Rivals for about a year and you get great information that I haven't really seen anywhere else. It is well worth it in my opinion especially for practice updates and recruiting tidbits.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@imissmunson said:
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. And I’m with all of you who love DawgNation, which is why I’ve never really considered subscribing to others before. I might try the Athletic, as I’m pretty sure they have a free trial, but I haven’t even looked into the others...figured I’d get some opinions around here first. Thanks again!!! Go Dawgs!

From what I’ve seen mentioned around, The Athletic is by far the one that tries the hardest to actually inform you. You’d learn more subscribing to that one. But depending on what you enjoy, you may have more fun screwing around in the gossip mongering pay forums instead. It’s like what do you want, a site like a cable news network or a site more like The Wall Street Journal? The Athletic is more like The Wall Street Journal. Although it’s covering sports and not finance, so it’s gonna be a lot easier to read.

I think you made the right choice, But there are plenty of people out there who enjoy cable news.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the athletic has a 7 day trial

I am sure all of them have something equivalent

dawg post is currently running 2 months or so for $2

the athletic is $48/year for the first year if you pay up front after your trial

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Not sure anyone else has seen the TopBillin film breakouts on youtube but the guy who does the videos has a "Committed to the G" page on patreon.com I got a subscription last month and so far its pretty good. His breakdown on the keys to beating Bama were spot on and if you like TopBillin you will like his site

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was on the train of never paying for info on sports. Which is why I had to stop reading the ajc which made me miss DOB's and Carrol Rodgers writing on the Braves. A few of you on here have stated how great the Athletic was. Then they poached DOB and I started to consider it. Then for Cyber Monday it was 60% off. $2 a month, that's 2 hrs to feed a parking meter. So I subscribed.

My opinion on the Athletic is a good one. Very well written and researched articles. Now it's not breaking news stuff. If you're looking for breaking news or recruiting info, you're not going to get it. Also I haven't found much opinion/debate pieces. More so just well researched and written articles. I liked Emerson's articles on here not so much his live feed stuff. The article on Malcolm Parrish was beautifully written.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ColaDawg86 said:
    I was on the train of never paying for info on sports. Which is why I had to stop reading the ajc which made me miss DOB's and Carrol Rodgers writing on the Braves. A few of you on here have stated how great the Athletic was. Then they poached DOB and I started to consider it. Then for Cyber Monday it was 60% off. $2 a month, that's 2 hrs to feed a parking meter. So I subscribed.

My opinion on the Athletic is a good one. Very well written and researched articles. Now it's not breaking news stuff. If you're looking for breaking news or recruiting info, you're not going to get it. Also I haven't found much opinion/debate pieces. More so just well researched and written articles. I liked Emerson's articles on here not so much his live feed stuff. The article on Malcolm Parrish was beautifully written.

wish I knew about the cyber Monday deal!

also, I'll add with the athletic not only is their app incredibly clean but it also marks articles as Read. it has several little nice things like that built into the app. and the app and website communicate so if read in one spot it'll mark as read in the other

@tfk_fanboy said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

wish I knew about the cyber Monday deal!

also, I'll add with the athletic not only is their app incredibly clean but it also marks articles as Read.

I like that feature a lot.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    Not sure anyone else has seen the TopBillin film breakouts on youtube but the guy who does the videos has a "Committed to the G" page on patreon.com I got a subscription last month and so far its pretty good. His breakdown on the keys to beating Bama were spot on and if you like TopBillin you will like his site

Yeah I've been a TopBillin Patreon member for a little while, it's pretty good from an X's and O's perspective. I'm even an Uncle Lou Patreon member, I think he's hilarious. But I usually get all the info I need right here searching these forums.

I was listening to the UGAsports podcast the other day and they've gotta pretty decent deal I think. Their subscription is $99 (not sure for how long) but when you order now, you get $99 worth of Georgia Bulldogs merchandise for free. Which I thought made spending a hundred bucks worth it.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@ColaDawg86 said:

Count me as another satisfied Athletic subscriber. They don’t have debate stuff (which is fine with me, as most of that is bloviating by people who are in love with the sound of their own voice), but Seth Emerson does plenty of chats, and he did a few alongside a writer for whoever Georgia’s opponent was that week. He also has many of the features he did here, like the Second Glance piece.

Also, as has been pointed out, you get access to everything, and it can be selected by city, league, club, and even writer. They don’t have a comments section, which is better than most, but is still a comments section.

If you’re looking for actual sports journalism (as in devoid of the garbage you’d find with the Barstool types), the Athletic is well worth the money.

EDIT: As has been pointed out, you won’t get much recruiting news there. Ok for me, because I read here and Jeff’s work, and that’s plenty, but I know some of y’all want more coverage of that.

edited December 2018

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    They don’t have a comments section, which is better than most, but is still a comments section.

Just to be clear, there is a comment section at the bottom of the articles. No forum from what I've found.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ColaDawg86 said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    They don’t have a comments section, which is better than most, but is still a comments section.

Just to be clear, there is a comment section at the bottom of the articles. No forum from what I've found.

Correct. Made the assumption that people would get the distinction that I had in my mind. Thanks for the added clarity @ColaDawg86!

• imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks again for all the great insight! I’m definitely looking more for great, well researched articles than anything else. Another forum wouldn’t really sway me— I like it here. I also think Sentell is great for recruiting, and I like Chip too. I feel like you can see his personality in the articles a lot of times, if that makes sense.

• DAWGburnDAWGburn Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have been subscribed to Rivals for quite some time. It has good articles and game breakdowns but the recruiting info is the best I’ve seen. Has a lot more in depth information and things I haven’t seen discussed here. This is a great site especially for free but if you’re willing to pay and want more info on recruiting I would recommend Rivals for sure.