Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Atlanta United

Comments

• Options
    DCLeeDCLee Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or even a **** Hawks (lol) Finals win. Just. Stop.

How is it not a major title? 70k people showing up for a minor league game? Please.

I'm sorry if this deflates anyone's "title high" but It's not a major title because ithe league is not even close to being on par with having the best players. MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all have the best players in the World. You can't even says it's the equivalent to winning the AAA minor league baseball championship.

People saying the game is boring should watch a United game. They are about constantly putting pressure on the other team. They play the most fast paced brand of soccer Ive ever witnessed.

The United averaged more fans than any MLB, NBA, or NHL team the last two years. Just becaise you don't like soccer doesn't make it less relevant. Only in your little world.

Well said Pigeon. It is his little world and it is getting smaller and smaller.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or even a **** Hawks (lol) Finals win. Just. Stop.

How is it not a major title? 70k people showing up for a minor league game? Please.

I'm sorry if this deflates anyone's "title high" but It's not a major title because ithe league is not even close to being on par with having the best players. MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all have the best players in the World. You can't even says it's the equivalent to winning the AAA minor league baseball championship.

People saying the game is boring should watch a United game. They are about constantly putting pressure on the other team. They play the most fast paced brand of soccer Ive ever witnessed.

The United averaged more fans than any MLB, NBA, or NHL team the last two years. Just becaise you don't like soccer doesn't make it less relevant. Only in your little world.

Meh. You can live in your bubble. The truth hurts and it’s easier around like minded people that nod accordingly. Atlanta United aren’t world champions. To make my point neither are the college football champs since there is a higher tier. A UGA or GaTech CFB championship is an amateur championship. Just like United’s isn’t a world championship. You can’t claim you are a “champion” when you can fill an entire league with more skilled teams ahead of them.

Why would a head coach leave the “champs” to coach elsewhere? It’s becasue the MLS is a developmental league and that coach is moving on to greener pastures. I bet the mental gymnastics and sideways explanations will be entertaining. Fun little distraction but it’s not a major championship and 90% of the metro Atlanta residents haven’t watched a game. I’m glad all the fanatics are obsessed.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

I am Falcons season ticket holder and went to all 3 United playoff matches. Someone should tell the fans it's not a major sports championship. There were more United fans at the MLS than any Falcons game by far. What a joke.

I could draw more people to the dome/mbs than the falcons, so that’s not saying much.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

I am Falcons season ticket holder and went to all 3 United playoff matches. Someone should tell the fans it's not a major sports championship. There were more United fans at the MLS than any Falcons game by far. What a joke.

I could draw more people to the dome/mbs than the falcons, so that’s not saying much.

Lol. Yep. He’s comparing a major league playoff game to a regular season game of a losing record sports team. His argument wouldn’t hold up if he said he went to 3 NFL playoff games vs the MLS playoff games. That’s the arguments the “champs” types have to make.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great they are here. I love that the soccer fans get a fun environment and a winning team.

My frustrations are with those trying to reach and call it a “championship” when it’s a world sport that isn’t even looked at by the top people in soccer as the best team.

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Lol. Yep. He’s comparing a major league playoff game to a regular season game of a losing record sports team. His argument wouldn’t hold up if he said he went to 3 NFL playoff games vs the MLS playoff games. That’s the arguments the “champs” types have to make.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great they are here. I love that the soccer fans get a fun environment and a winning team.

My frustrations are with those trying to reach and call it a “championship” when it’s a world sport that isn’t even looked at by the top people in soccer as the best team.

I’m glad they won. But I wouldn’t watch it again. I watched the last half and it was like watching paint dry to me.

• Options

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

No, I'm comparing regular season MLS to every major sports league other than the NFL.

The Falcons couldn't even sell out the early saints game and it was almost half saints fans.

Let me make this clear
    THE ATLANTA FALCONS SU CK

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Meh. You can live in your bubble. The truth hurts and it’s easier around like minded people that nod accordingly. Atlanta United aren’t world champions. To make my point neither are the college football champs since there is a higher tier. A UGA or GaTech CFB championship is an amateur championship. Just like United’s isn’t a world championship. You can’t claim you are a “champion” when you can fill an entire league with more skilled teams ahead of them.

Why would a head coach leave the “champs” to coach elsewhere? It’s becasue the MLS is a developmental league and that coach is moving on to greener pastures. I bet the mental gymnastics and sideways explanations will be entertaining. Fun little distraction but it’s not a major championship and 90% of the metro Atlanta residents haven’t watched a game. I’m glad all the fanatics are obsessed.

You’re right, it’s not a world championship. It’s a MLS championship, genius. The world championship goes by the name of, uh, what’s it called, oh yeah, the World Cup. 265 million soccer players in the world vs. 5-10 million football players. See how they can have several viable professional leagues? Is the MLS equivalent to the EPL, no. But that’s you’re only point, and it ignores the sheer amount of talent around the world in soccer. Only basketball is starting to get played globally on a wide scale. Football is a midget, a very teeny tiny one to be exact, in comparison to soccer globally, hence the 5 or 6th best league, as you put it, championship meaning something. I’m sure everyone would agree that a super bowl, CFB championship, World Series in this state would mean more to most of us personally, but how you dismiss this championship is laughable. Most on here just want to celebrate a very positive thing, but you have to show up with your little man syndrome.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

You’re right, it’s not a world championship. It’s a MLS championship, genius. The world championship goes by the name of, uh, what’s it called, oh yeah, the World Cup. 265 million soccer players in the world vs. 5-10 million football players. See how they can have several viable professional leagues? Is the MLS equivalent to the EPL, no. But that’s you’re only point, and it ignores the sheer amount of talent around the world in soccer. Only basketball is starting to get played globally on a wide scale. Football is a midget, a very teeny tiny one to be exact, in comparison to soccer globally, hence the 5 or 6th best league, as you put it, championship meaning something. I’m sure everyone would agree that a super bowl, CFB championship, World Series in this state would mean more to most of us personally, but how you dismiss this championship is laughable. Most on here just want to celebrate a very positive thing, but you have to show up with your little man syndrome.

I think you may be projecting a bit. I have no idea how little man syndrome would apply. I’m not mad at AUtd. I’m happy for them doing well and the soccer fans having fun. My hangup with those who say this lifted “the curse” here in Atlanta and fixes the historic flops of the MUCH more popular Atlanta sports teams over the years. As popular as soccer is world wide there is a 3,000 mile bubble we sit in where it just isn’t near as important as the rest of the world. As much as the soccer fanatics fill MBS to cheer their fans the TVs in Atlanta aren’t tuning in. Thats not a blow to their fans...it’s a very excited bunch but also DRASTICALLY smaller. The MLS Cup game drew an Atlanta TV rating of a little over 11 while the Falcons/Saints regular season game when they were blown out by NO and were 2-6 was almost a 17. It kinda disapproves the fact that more people are interested in AtlUtd than the stinking Falcons (as inferred by another earlier in this thread).

The tough pill to swallow is that a MUCH larger amount of TVs were on watching the horrible Falcons get routed by the saints here in ATL than we’re watching a local team win a championship. I’m not arguing against the team. I’m arguing against the perception of the average Atlantan caring enough about it to matter and change perspective. I’m arguing it’s not enough.

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

I think you may be projecting a bit. I have no idea how little man syndrome would apply. I’m not mad at AUtd. I’m happy for them doing well and the soccer fans having fun. My hangup with those who say this lifted “the curse” here in Atlanta and fixes the historic flops of the MUCH more popular Atlanta sports teams over the years. As popular as soccer is world wide there is a 3,000 mile bubble we sit in where it just isn’t near as important as the rest of the world. As much as the soccer fanatics fill MBS to cheer their fans the TVs in Atlanta aren’t tuning in. Thats not a blow to their fans...it’s a very excited bunch but also DRASTICALLY smaller. The MLS Cup game drew an Atlanta TV rating of a little over 11 while the Falcons/Saints regular season game when they were blown out by NO and were 2-6 was almost a 17. It kinda disapproves the fact that more people are interested in AtlUtd than the stinking Falcons (as inferred by another earlier in this thread).

The tough pill to swallow is that a MUCH larger amount of TVs were on watching the horrible Falcons get routed by the saints here in ATL than we’re watching a local team win a championship. I’m not arguing against the team. I’m arguing against the perception of the average Atlantan caring enough about it to matter and change perspective. I’m arguing it’s not enough.

Ok, so we’re switching from talent/league ranking to TV ratings now. Got it

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Who said I took back any argument beforehand? Making another point invalidated my last?

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Who said I took back any argument beforehand? Making another point invalidated my last?

So the 265 million soccer players versus the 5-10 million football players isn’t a reason to believe there can be more than just a few competitive soccer leagues in the world?

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like we've veered off course a touch from my question. Does this break the curse, and if not can we form a task force to find the goat we have to bleed or the witch we have to burn. I'm 43, so at least I have memories of the last NC for the Dawgs. I'd rather not wait too much longer for it to happen again or for the Birds to win their first Super Bowl because I might be dead. Maybe we can hire that little lady from poltergeist to cleanse the state. Or, maybe the MLS win did it. I just need answers really.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Teddy said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@DCLee said:

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

So the 265 million soccer players versus the 5-10 million football players isn’t a reason to believe there can be more than just a few competitive soccer leagues in the world?

It proves the point that the Atlanta team isnt the actual champion of their sport. Which is what Ive been saying.

I respect it as a sport. It’s obviously the most accessible sport in the world to play. You could be a peasant North Korean, a war-torn Afghani, or a posh Brit and all you need is a some sort of ball and a working foot. It’s apples and oranges as far as trying to compare it to football baseball or even basketball. It’s a cheap and accessible sport.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It stinks to come to a thread about a pretty large victory by a local team in a an extremely popular sport and have half the posts at least be about how it shouldn't be celebrated by our own board trolls. If you aren't interested in soccer or MLS. feel free to avoid the thread.

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Watch the United , don’t watch the United, the team could care less. They sold out every home game and set the MLS record for 7 of the 10 highest sellouts . The CITY OF ATLANTA embraced the team and over 200,000 people celebrated the championship in a parade in the freaking rain .The MLS CUP was bonkers and no one has seen anything like it. Yeah the premier league is better, but the NFL is higher ranked thank UGA footballl. So UGA wins it all and it’s not the same because it’s not the best of the best ? Soccer is the #1 sport in the WORLD. The United is the best team in the MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER league . State wide, more fans care than in any other major league sport . If the Falcons won it all, great, but they’re not close. If you actually follwed the MLS, you’d see more professional players are coming, and not to retire. You might hate soccer, but the rest of the state embraced the CHAMPIONS OF MLS.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:
    It stinks to come to a thread about a pretty large victory by a local team in a an extremely popular sport and have half the posts at least be about how it shouldn't be celebrated by our own board trolls. If you aren't interested in soccer or MLS. feel free to avoid the thread.

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

EXACTLY !!!! 20 posters hate it but the rest do the state embraced it. Be glad atlanta has another championship since freaking 1995. Welcome to the new age, soccer is growing

• Options

@Dawgsauce said:
    I feel like we've veered off course a touch from my question. Does this break the curse, and if not can we form a task force to find the goat we have to bleed or the witch we have to burn. I'm 43, so at least I have memories of the last NC for the Dawgs. I'd rather not wait too much longer for it to happen again or for the Birds to win their first Super Bowl because I might be dead. Maybe we can hire that little lady from poltergeist to cleanse the state. Or, maybe the MLS win did it. I just need answers really.

• Options

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or> @Dakota_Nester said:

Watch the United , don’t watch the United, the team could care less. They sold out every home game and set the MLS record for 7 of the 10 highest sellouts . The CITY OF ATLANTA embraced the team and over 200,000 people celebrated the championship in a parade in the freaking rain .The MLS CUP was bonkers and no one has seen anything like it. Yeah the premier league is better, but the NFL is higher ranked thank UGA footballl. So UGA wins it all and it’s not the same because it’s not the best of the best ? Soccer is the #1 sport in the WORLD. The United is the best team in the MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER league . State wide, more fans care than in any other major league sport . If the Falcons won it all, great, but they’re not close. If you actually follwed the MLS, you’d see more professional players are coming, and not to retire. You might hate soccer, but the rest of the state embraced the CHAMPIONS OF MLS.

I know a ton of people. I’ve been in business for myself for over 20yrs. I don’t know anyone that likes soccer.

• Options

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or> @Dakota_Nester said:

I know a ton of people. I’ve been in business for myself for over 20yrs. I don’t know anyone that likes soccer.

That just means you’re old.