Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I wanna like Chip Towers but..

finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited December 2018 in General

I’m a HUGE fan of every other reporter on DawgNation and what they’ve done but no matter what, I just can’t seem to bring myself to like Chip.. And it’s not for lack of trying... There’s so many reasons why, too. For one, he just comes off as extremely petty and childish, especially ever since Kirby Smart called him out at that one press conference, it’s just seemed like he’s had this personal vendetta against KS, and like he tried to seize every potential negative narrative that he can whenever he’s been presented with one. Also, I know this could be seen as minor by some, but as an English major, I just can’t help but notice that he always has the most errors in his work when held in comparison to his colleagues. Trivial to some, sure, but to me, personally, it just seems to reveal a lowered degree of respect for his work. And finally, I kind of touched on this with my first point but it just seems really unprofessional how he lets his emotions color his work in a negative way, even with how he interacts with the viewers throughout most of his “Towers’ Takes”.. He always comes off as combative against any and every viewer that has something even the slightest bit negative to say... Just ignore their comments instead of stooping down to the level of the trolls. You’re a professional. Maybe act like it and stay focused on your journalism? I, and I’m sure many of you, have literally witnessed him rant for 5+ minutes about the most insignificant negative things that his viewers have had to say in the past.

I love Jeff, he’s brilliant, and an amazing journalist. He’s amazing at his job and at collecting valuable intel for all of us. Mike sees the strategic maneuvers of CKS for what they are and you can really tell. Brandon has to grow on me but you can’t help but love the guy for his personality and dedication. I don’t know much about Connor but he seems likeable enough considering everything I’ve seen thus far, at least, but for some reason(s) I just can’t bring myself to foster the same sort of appreciation for Chip and I genuinely hate to say it because I do believe he’s a legitimate fan of the team and the brand as a whole, just like myself. Okay, rant over.. I’ve been holding back this one for awhile with hope that maybe my feelings about this would change, but alas, my dislike for him has only developed further, unfortunately, and I feel like I can’t be the only one that views him in this way.

Comments

• chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hope you are a first year English major with all of those commas, improperly used prepositional phrases and nonsensical, useless drivel...

You don’t like the guy, don’t read his articles. No sense in blowing him up on an Internet forum.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip is good in my hood

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I agree with some insight into Chip and others, I think that analysis was way too hard on him.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Chip , as well as all the other DN beat reports... they all bring something different and all together additive .... esp like new guy Mike Griffith

• dawgfan1873dawgfan1873 Posts: 49 ✭✭ Sophomore

@finesse92 said:
    I’m a HUGE fan of every other reporter on DawgNation and what they’ve done but no matter what, I just can’t seem to bring myself to like Chip.. And it’s not for lack of trying... There’s so many reasons why, too. For one, he just comes off as extremely petty and childish, especially ever since Kirby Smart called him out at that one press conference, it’s just seemed like he’s had this personal vendetta against KS, and like he tried to seize every potential negative narrative that he can whenever he’s been presented with one. Also, I know this could be seen as minor by some, but as an English major, I just can’t help but notice that he always has the most errors in his work when held in comparison to his colleagues. Trivial to some, sure, but to me, personally, it just seems to reveal a lowered degree of respect for his work. And finally, I kind of touched on this with my first point but it just seems really unprofessional how he lets his emotions color his work in a negative way, even with how he interacts with the viewers throughout most of his “Towers’ Takes”.. He always comes off as combative against any and every viewer that has something even the slightest bit negative to say... Just ignore their comments instead of stooping down to the level of the trolls. You’re a professional. Maybe act like it and stay focused on your journalism? I, and I’m sure many of you, have literally witnessed him rant for 5+ minutes about the most insignificant negative things that his viewers have had to say in the past.

I love Jeff, he’s brilliant, and an amazing journalist. He’s amazing at his job and at collecting valuable intel for all of us. Mike sees the strategic maneuvers of CKS for what they are and you can really tell. Brandon has to grow on me but you can’t help but love the guy for his personality and dedication. I don’t know much about Connor but he seems likeable enough considering everything I’ve seen thus far, at least, but for some reason(s) I just can’t bring myself to foster the same sort of appreciation for Chip and I genuinely hate to say it because I do believe he’s a legitimate fan of the team and the brand as a whole, just like myself. Okay, rant over.. I’ve been holding back this one for awhile with hope that maybe my feelings about this would change, but alas, my dislike for him has only developed further, unfortunately, and I feel like I can’t be the only one that views him in this way.

I agree 100% chip has a negative tone to almost everything he writes.

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Chip’s reporting and opinions are excellent in my book.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wrote something similar about a year ago. I dont want a homer, but he always seems to be a glass half empty type writer. Dont hate him, he's just my least favorite.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@bmauldin said:
    Let’s be honest... he comes off pessimistic, yes... it he did live through some years (from a coach that will go unnamed) that were hyped up and then deflated as the year went on... it is understandable that he has been jaded over time.

Let’s not let said coach lose control of this thread...

too late.

Hilarious. Good job as always

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

I've got no gripes w/ Chip and have often wondered why so many seem to. If I disagree w/ something he writes, so what? I'm also a writer and an old English major and as someone who has to play several roles (writer, editor, proofreader, etc.) it can be difficult, esp if you're flying around going from place to place. Not having at least another set of eyes to peruse the work places the writer at a disadvantage. It's normal that mistakes happen and I think wrong to assume that reflects disrespect for either the work or the language. As for "pessimism," it takes all kinds. Some of the greatest thinkers have been pessimists. So it goes...

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:
    I've got no gripes w/ Chip and have often wondered why so many seem to. If I disagree w/ something he writes, so what? I'm also a writer and an old English major and as someone who has to play several roles (writer, editor, proofreader, etc.) it can be difficult, esp if you're flying around going from place to place. Not having at least another set of eyes to peruse the work places the writer at a disadvantage. It's normal that mistakes happen and I think wrong to assume that reflects disrespect for either the work or the language. As for "pessimism," it takes all kinds. Some of the greatest thinkers have been pessimists. So it goes...

I agree. Though a lot of it is due to laziness on my part, **** at typing one handed with a very slowly healing broken arm, diminished capacity probably, and definitely lapsing into text/online talk, I try to at least avoid obvious typos and yet often miss them even after a proofreading. Though I've offered my services as a third party proofreader and would probably do it for some DN swag and a little extra Intel from @JeffSentell lol.

You doing better healthwise man?

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll throw my hat into that ring, @scooterdawg lol.

I am, thx. The shoulder feels stable. More than it has in two decades. I spent the better part of yesterday in bed after a busy Christmas, but I think that after two surgeries inside a month, it's normal. I have to say...this year's holidays have made me see, in vivid Technicolor, all that there is to be grateful for. Hope your arm gets better sooner than later.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Appreciate it man. Glad you're feeling better.