Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I wanna like Chip Towers but..

2»

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@finesse92 said:
    I’m a HUGE fan of every other reporter on DawgNation and what they’ve done but no matter what, I just can’t seem to bring myself to like Chip.. And it’s not for lack of trying... There’s so many reasons why, too. For one, he just comes off as extremely petty and childish, especially ever since Kirby Smart called him out at that one press conference, it’s just seemed like he’s had this personal vendetta against KS, and like he tried to seize every potential negative narrative that he can whenever he’s been presented with one. Also, I know this could be seen as minor by some, but as an English major, I just can’t help but notice that he always has the most errors in his work when held in comparison to his colleagues. Trivial to some, sure, but to me, personally, it just seems to reveal a lowered degree of respect for his work. And finally, I kind of touched on this with my first point but it just seems really unprofessional how he lets his emotions color his work in a negative way, even with how he interacts with the viewers throughout most of his “Towers’ Takes”.. He always comes off as combative against any and every viewer that has something even the slightest bit negative to say... Just ignore their comments instead of stooping down to the level of the trolls. You’re a professional. Maybe act like it and stay focused on your journalism? I, and I’m sure many of you, have literally witnessed him rant for 5+ minutes about the most insignificant negative things that his viewers have had to say in the past.

I love Jeff, he’s brilliant, and an amazing journalist. He’s amazing at his job and at collecting valuable intel for all of us. Mike sees the strategic maneuvers of CKS for what they are and you can really tell. Brandon has to grow on me but you can’t help but love the guy for his personality and dedication. I don’t know much about Connor but he seems likeable enough considering everything I’ve seen thus far, at least, but for some reason(s) I just can’t bring myself to foster the same sort of appreciation for Chip and I genuinely hate to say it because I do believe he’s a legitimate fan of the team and the brand as a whole, just like myself. Okay, rant over.. I’ve been holding back this one for awhile with hope that maybe my feelings about this would change, but alas, my dislike for him has only developed further, unfortunately, and I feel like I can’t be the only one that views him in this way.

TL(for the subject)DR

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip knows how to use paragraphs.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip does a good job imo. He's not a great writer, but he loves UGA football and covers it well. Now, that's succinct.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly couldn't disagree more. Chip is one of my favorite writers of all time when it comes to UGA. I do think his tone has changed slightly over the years, he also seems to have become a little bit more provocative in his style. But I've been reading him long enough to know he tells it like it is. I think he's a fan, but he does a great job of setting that part aside and doing the job he is assigned. Which is how it should be. When Dawgnation had both Chip and Seth routinely writing for UGA that was their A-team staff.

I've seen negative writers. Think Jeff Schultz, Mark Bradley or Michael Carvel (I think that was his name...I hated that guy's work so much I completely stopped reading it). It was very obvious they were trying to garner negative attention through their writing. Chip is nothing like that.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:
    I've got no gripes w/ Chip and have often wondered why so many seem to. If I disagree w/ something he writes, so what? I'm also a writer and an old English major and as someone who has to play several roles (writer, editor, proofreader, etc.) it can be difficult, esp if you're flying around going from place to place. Not having at least another set of eyes to peruse the work places the writer at a disadvantage. It's normal that mistakes happen and I think wrong to assume that reflects disrespect for either the work or the language. As for "pessimism," it takes all kinds. Some of the greatest thinkers have been pessimists. So it goes...

Yeah, like coach nyc.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    I love Pecan Pie!
    That is all.
    You are welcome.

Edit—-
    Pecan Pie and Bourbon!

But do you pronounce it PeeCan or PuhConn?

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'My motto in dealing with people in real life is, "Everybody has their own unique brand of crazy".'

Wow JayDog , I thought that was my life observation. Thought it applied to the people that I know well. Good to hear that confirmation.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@JayDog @DogsNotDawgs I once heard, “in life, it helps to be like a
    m o n k e y-wrench (a crescent wrench) & that way you’ll be equipped to handle any nut-job you come across.”

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    m o n k e y-wrench (a crescent wrench) & that way you’ll be equipped to handle any nut-job you come across.”

I'll have to use that one! But maybe I will say it helps to be like a primate-wrench.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:

• Options
    BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21
    Depends on my surroundings. Around my family - Pee Can! Around Christmas parties with clients, Pee Caan. Fit the mold like Jello!

• Options
    TomGroseTomGrose Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Chip's a great reporter. I like his work.

Threads like this are self-serving, divisive and useless. Wish I'd skipped it.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@Acrum21 said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    I love Pecan Pie!
    That is all.
    You are welcome.

Edit—-
    Pecan Pie and Bourbon!

Peecan is something you take to the city when you know you won't have time to stop at racetrak.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgitimafan said:

@Acrum21 said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    I love Pecan Pie!
    That is all.
    You are welcome.

Edit—-
    Pecan Pie and Bourbon!

Peecan is something you take to the city when you know you won't have time to stop at racetrak.

Would trash be put in a trashcan or trashconn?
    Its pecan always

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@kelly_b said:
    I've got no gripes w/ Chip and have often wondered why so many seem to. If I disagree w/ something he writes, so what? I'm also a writer and an old English major and as someone who has to play several roles (writer, editor, proofreader, etc.) it can be difficult, esp if you're flying around going from place to place. Not having at least another set of eyes to peruse the work places the writer at a disadvantage. It's normal that mistakes happen and I think wrong to assume that reflects disrespect for either the work or the language. As for "pessimism," it takes all kinds. Some of the greatest thinkers have been pessimists. So it goes...

Yeah, like coach nyc.

I'm just gonna laugh and leave it at that. Is he still M.I.A.?

• Options
    finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DuckDawg25 said:
    He likes to twist words. Read the article about how Ledbetter is trying to convince Baker to play. It literally makes no sense with what he quoted...

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that Ledbetter was never quoted in the article as such...