Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tom Crean Needs This Win Vs #3 Tennesse

brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs will be a heavy underdog against the Vols this Saturday I expect. ESPN gives only an 8% chance to win. Hammonds/Claxton/Ogbeide will give Grant Williams all he can handle. It will be a matter if the Dawgs offense can stay on pace with the Vols.

Coach Crean needs this win. He's still looking for that "momentum-swinging" win that can change the program. A lot like Kirby's upset win over #9 Auburn in 2016. This would be a perfect time to do so as the fan base is looking for something positive to talk about. An upset win over a Top-3 team will certainly give the Dawgs a great chance to make the tournament, and also get more fans involved with the basketball program.

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe! Actually, he needs to recruit. That was always Coach Fox’s weakness. He is the guy to turn us in to a tournament team though. I firmly believe that - floor skills and can recruit.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    I believe! Actually, he needs to recruit. That was always Coach Fox’s weakness. He is the guy to turn us in to a tournament team though. I firmly believe that - floor skills and can recruit.

two 4 stars committed for 2019...

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe Crean gets it done soon, but even at Indiana it took 4 years for him to have a winning season.
    I won't let my expectations get too high.

@WCDawg said:
    Maybe Crean gets it done soon, but even at Indiana it took 4 years for him to have a winning season.

if Fox had a winning record last year, Crean can do it this year. a lot of games were lost down the stretch last season by bad coaching decisions and a stale offense as well. Fox also rarely used Claxton.

the plan is coming together lol

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

if Fox had a winning record last year, Crean can do it this year. a lot of games were lost down the stretch last season by bad coaching decisions and a stale offense as well. Fox also rarely used Claxton.

I'm just saying Crean hasn't been the type of coach that steps right in and wins.

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

I'm just saying Crean hasn't been the type of coach that steps right in and wins.

i get that but he overtook an Indiana team that was in shambles at the time. i think he's got a little bit better roster than he did there. Indiana was in the midst of a scandal i think when he got there. just something to consider.

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

i get that but he overtook an Indiana team that was in shambles at the time. i think he's got a little bit better roster than he did there. Indiana was in the midst of a scandal i think when he got there. just something to consider.

I hope he wins early and often.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

@WCDawg said:

Yeah not the same situation as Indiana, and the guy is a proven quality recruiter. I do agree with @WCDawg though that it's going to take some patience. I see us being an annual tourney team in the next couple years, and then if he can continue to build on recruiting we could contend in the SEC in the next 4 or 5. I'm definitely optimistic with CTC though.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:

@greshamdisco said:

are the % of 5* and 4* similar to those in football? Are there as many BB 5* in the top 100 players as there are in the top 100 FB players?

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure he needs this one, it is still very early in his tenure, however it would be huge. I still think we are trending positive.

@donm said:

@brentwilson said:

@greshamdisco said:

are the % of 5* and 4* similar to those in football? Are there as many BB 5* in the top 100 players as there are in the top 100 FB players?

very similar. however, both of Crean's commitments are ranked 66th and 102nd in the nation i think.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... this isn’t going as we had hoped.

@donm said:

@brentwilson said:

@greshamdisco said:

Top programs in basketball have a far higher percentage of their rosters as 5 star recruits, but of course rosters are smaller.
    We'll either have to pull in more elite players or outcoach those who do.

@greshamdisco said:
    Well... this isn’t going as we had hoped.

Not surprising though.

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it september yet?

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Barnes is an A-HOLE!

@PlayHurt said:
    Barnes is an A-HOLE!

upvote times one million