Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@scooterdawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I'm reading some steinbeck rn. Cannery row

That’s one of his I haven’t read actually. Grapes of Wrath wasn’t really my bag but I like East of Eden and of Mice and Men a lot. Let us know how ya like it.

Steinbeck had a lot of affect on me when I read him from about 12 to 16 years old. I don't have much patience for fiction these days. I read mostly history, and current event type stuff now.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lazendaddy said:
    Currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Weir is a genius with all the technical stuff in this book when it comes to NASA and space and being an Astronaut. Pretty fascinating. Would recommend

This one is excellent in audio format given that much of the book is written acounts of audio logs...awesome book even for non engineer types

edited January 2019

@HumbleYourself said:

@Lazendaddy said:
    Currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Weir is a genius with all the technical stuff in this book when it comes to NASA and space and being an Astronaut. Pretty fascinating. Would recommend

This one is excellent in audio format given that much of the book is written acounts of audio logs...awesome book even for non engineer types

I> @scooterdawg said:

@JRT812 said:
    Yo @scooterdawg bro, thanks for taking point on this! I can’t wait to write down some titles. I tried the audio thing and couldn’t do it. I recently did my first online book with what I’m currently reading “can’t hurt me” by David Goggins. Digging the ebook, but prefer to have to actual book in hand.

Bro’s and Broette’s, check these books out if it’s your thing. Got them done in Decemberish

I’m a big Krakauer fan. Good rec for anyone interested in the real story of Pat Tillman. As far as the Clint guy one of my exes used to watch it and I always thought he had the major hots for Joanna lol.

Tillman was a tough minded liberal atheist who was killed by American fire under still foggy circumstances. His thinking was very different than most of those he served with. He was hit by 3 rounds to the head from an M16 fired from close range.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are there really no James Rollins fans on here or did I miss someone? James Rollins is history and science woven into riveting fiction...if you haven't checked out his Sigma Force series I'd give it a try. It's entertaining.

My favorite classic is easily Alexander Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo...though Three Musketeers was good as well. And I like pretty much all of Dickens works.

I live in Utah and so I followed the life of a great football coach out here: Lavell Edwards. His book Airing It Out was an entertaining read about the behind the scenes and complications of being a HC (and especially for him coaching at a Mormon school).

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@christopherules said:
    @JRT812 Hey Bro, you’ll like it. But it’s a really BIG BOOK, and it is somewhat “dated” nowadays due to it being a fictional Cold War EPIC between the USA & (the former) USSR. However, I was blown away by the attention to detail (& although it’s a work of fiction) it’s technical accuracy for the weaponry in use at that time, which was during the 1980s. Back then? It was a very scary read!! Gave me HD nightmares! LOL

Tom Clancy is an amazing author but it's because of his research. There were rumors that the FBI and CIA both questioned him about some of his content because of it's accuracy and inferences about classified information. Did anyone actually ever verify those rumors? @christopherules maybe you know?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WildDawg said:

@christopherules said:
    @JRT812 Hey Bro, you’ll like it. But it’s a really BIG BOOK, and it is somewhat “dated” nowadays due to it being a fictional Cold War EPIC between the USA & (the former) USSR. However, I was blown away by the attention to detail (& although it’s a work of fiction) it’s technical accuracy for the weaponry in use at that time, which was during the 1980s. Back then? It was a very scary read!! Gave me HD nightmares! LOL

Tom Clancy is an amazing author but it's because of his research. There were rumors that the FBI and CIA both questioned him about some of his content because of it's accuracy and inferences about classified information. Did anyone actually ever verify those rumors? @christopherules maybe you know?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-xpm-2014-09-27-bs-md-sun-investigates-tom-clancy-fbi-20140927-story.html

Apparently the FBI did a background check on Tom Clancy- not for potential nefarious behavior but for a job as a consultant with the White House Space Council.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WCDawg doesn't read any more. He doesn't have time for any of that since he found the forum at Dawg Nation.

Personally, I enjoyed reading Playboy but I stopped when they started oppressing women's rights by not letting them pose nude. Those ask the Bar Tender pieces was awesome...and Hef's favorite jokes was good stuff.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good call on Slaughterhouse 5. Need to read again.
    Stormlight Archives is a great series for fantasy fans

Currently reading Micheners “Caribbean”. Not as good as “Hawaii”

Dune is my favorite book of all time

edited January 2019

I don't read novels anymore, but when I did I usually favored spy, mystery and crime tales.

The best spy novelist..

1. David Cornwell ( aka John Le Carre)
    2. Frederick Forsyth
    3. Graham Greene
    4. Tom Clancy
    5. Robert Ludlum
    6. Jack Higgins.

A war biography/chronical of The Pacific Campaign I highly recommend is William Manchester's Goodbye Darkness. His book of The Krupp steel and armaments empire The Arms Of Krupp is also great, and you can't really understand German militarism without knowing The Krupp's role in fostering it.
    Oh yeah, Ron Chernow's biography on George Washington is magnificent, yes, it's that good. His biography on Hamilton gained fame through the musical play, but The Washington book is far better in my opinion. It's a very honest account of the man, warts and all.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WildDawg said:

@christopherules said:

@WildDawg as for anything 100% factual when it comes to Tom Clancy being investigated? I do recall seeing an interview with him later on in his life, (He passed away in 2013) where he discussed this very topic as it related to his book “Debt of Honor” and how it predates the terrorism attacks of 9/11, but it may have served as a model for the terrorists? That was really an eye opener. You might still be able to find something on it on YouTube. Anyway, I remember my being fascinated with Tom Clancy, and his books too. Although they are almost always very long, he builds up the very best suspense possible, and his books have never disappointed me. Scared the heck out me a few times, but always (in the end) well worth the effort it took to get through them!

edited January 2019

@christopherules said:

@WildDawg said:

@christopherules said:

@WildDawg as for anything 100% factual when it comes to Tom Clancy being investigated? I do recall seeing an interview with him later on in his life, (He passed away in 2013) where he discussed this very topic as it related to his book “Debt of Honor” and how it predates the terrorism attacks of 9/11, but it may have served as a model for the terrorists? That was really an eye opener. You might still be able to find something on it on YouTube. Anyway, I remember my being fascinated with Tom Clancy, and his books too. Although they are almost always very long, he builds up the very best suspense possible, and his books have never disappointed me. Scared the heck out me a few times, but always (in the end) well worth the effort it took to get through them!

Clancy said he was always interested in how people ''got away with things''. He clearly had covert sources within our intelligence. community. The novel where terrorist used a plane as a missile was inspired by war gaming. Contrary to later claims, it was considered as a risk prior to 9-11, but MANY things were touched on, most have yet to manifest into action, some are far scarier than The Towers' destruction.

@TMazz2009 said:
    WCDawg doesn't read any more. He doesn't have time for any of that since he found the forum at Dawg Nation.

Personally, I enjoyed reading Playboy but I stopped when they started oppressing women's rights by not letting them pose nude. Those ask the Bar Tender pieces was awesome...and Hef's favorite jokes was good stuff.

Go f...yourself.
    I read every day, just not fiction, except for some posts of course, and most every quote from Trump.

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Laws of Human Nature" by Robert Greene has been a pretty good read

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great thread; thanks to the original poster. I’m a non-fiction guy. Here are some from my audiobooks library that I would recommend.

Red Platoon – Clinton Romesha
    The Looming Tower – Lawrence Wright
    Black Flags – Joby Warrick
    12 Strong – Doug Stanton

A River in Darkness – Masaji Ishikawa
    Dear Leader – Jang Jin-sung
    Red Notice – Bill Browder
    Rise and Kill First – Ronen Bergman
    The Last Lion – William Manchester
    The Fall and Rise of China – Richard Baum

Blind Man’s Bluff – Christopher Drew, Sherry Shontag
    Skunk Works – Ben Rich, Leo Janos

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall – Gilbert King
    The King Years – Taylor Branch

I’ll Be Gone in the Dark – Michelle McNamara
    Killers of the Flower Moon – David Grann

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Always enjoyed Clancy's work, Red Storm Rising is probable my favorite. Another really good book was one I read back in school and have reread a time or two is The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It's worth reading.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    @scooterdawg I am a pretty HUGE Tom Clancy fan. I must say that I really do love the Public Library system FREE iPhone, (and ANDROID too) APP(s) and it is called "Overdrive".... as I simply do not have the kind of time that I would like to have, and leisurely turn pages anymore like I did in my younger days? Besides that, I have to use "readers" these days also, and they are a pain! I also enjoy that most public libraries use this free program for their respective "E-libraries" and that is where I have found FREE AUDIO-BOOKS to check out for periods of either 14 days, or sometimes 21 days at a time. I simply download the entire book into my iPhone, and it's done. When the audio-book is due? There are no late fees either! I am currently listening to "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.

I read Without remorse in college, stayed up all night for 2 nights. I loved that character and book.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Yo @scooterdawg bro, thanks for taking point on this! I can’t wait to write down some titles. I tried the audio thing and couldn’t do it. I recently did my first online book with what I’m currently reading “can’t hurt me” by David Goggins. Digging the ebook, but prefer to have to actual book in hand.

Bro’s and Broette’s, check these books out if it’s your thing. Got them done in Decemberish

Let me know about Where Men win glory, I have loved Into the Wild and Into thin air

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

I read... with my one year old son.

If little bro is into dogs.... check out the Carl books from back in the day.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:

Let me know about Where Men win glory, I have loved Into the Wild and Into thin air

Just excellent books. Into the air tool me a moment to get into it, but turned out to be a decent book. I have read into the wild a ton of times and it’s probably top 3 of my favorite books.

Getting to Where Men Win Glory.... really interesting and a great read. Honestly I didn’t know much about Pat at the time other than him being a football player and someone who served his country. It provided insight on his thinking and to me it was interesting to see how he thought compared to how he determined his life’s plans. Check it out. Great read and and taking a silly sport called football out of it..... Pat is a legend in my mind