Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA basketball, nothing kills a buzz faster than losing...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our only win in SEC play is against Vandy, they are 0-6 against SEC teams.
I really, really want to be an active fan, but I need something tangible to help me believe there's real hope.
We're 9-9, which is pretty representative of what the program has been historically.

So, win enough to create a small level of buzz/hope, till then, I'm too tired of disappointment in sports to expend much energy on the matter.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It has been hard to care much after the last few outings, I expect things to "improve" in that the schedule will be easier. It is a better brand of basketball to watch, but losing stinks. Essentially we need better players sooner before our few good ones leave.

• DadmixonDadmixon Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

It's going to take a few years and a lot of patience. We have the right coach to turn it around.. He needs and should be able to get the players to compete. This year is going to be tough! We don't have the athletes to compete this year. I agree the schedule will get a little more favorable. I feel good about coach Crean, his ability and approach to build a team. It will most likely be year three before he has enough talent to compete.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is not going to be easy for any of the sports outside of football to take a big step up at this time. I am very close to two of the big time boosters at UGA now. They both tell me the same thing. They each gave $10,000 two monthes ago that is earmarked for football. They will each give $10,000 more next month. One of them is close to Crean and attends many practices. I sat with him at the Gators BB game last week right behind the bench. Crean is asking for a lot right now and is not gettibg it. The other booster told me thay are all in for football at the expense of other programs. Kirby has a list of 31 improvements he wants asap and nobody is telling him no to anything. One of them was upset that a fundraiser in Dan Mcgills name was for football. He also told me that the indoor tennis facility needs major work but it is not being addressed. The NCAA told them the facility wasn't up to standards to host the NCAA anymore. He also said UGA wasn't interested in hosting anyway. Georgia is on the same plan as Alabama financially. Crean came from a basketball school and is not used to the climate.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RoyGaff said:
    "> @WCBuzzkiller said:

I really, really want to be an fireman, but I need something tangible to help me believe there's real hope.

So, drink enough to create a small level of buzz, then I pass out on the couch from too many prescription pills

If you had a buzz watching UGA basketball, I want some of what you're smoking.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Me too. 😂😂😂

I think as much as anything, negative recruiting from other regional powers in CBB is Georgias problem. Rivals will point out Georgias Institution wide, indeed statewide fixation on the Football Team. Georgias Mens Basketball Coach will never b as popular as UGA for instance. Also the only way to create a buzz for Georgia Basketball is if the Football team were the 1s playing. U'd get a buzz then but otherwise....

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And yet.......Tennessee is number 1 in the country right now. South Carolina went to the Final Four less than two years ago (beating UF to get there). Arguably, all of these SEC East rivals care much more about football than basketball.

It CAN be done.

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    And yet.......Tennessee is number 1 in the country right now. South Carolina went to the Final Four less than two years ago (beating UF to get there). Arguably, all of these SEC East rivals care much more about football than basketball.

It CAN be done.

When you wish upon a star...AND sign top players, your dreams can come true. Tenn is doing this without a single top 50 prospect though, which is hard to fathom.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And Dont forget UF's run. a while back.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dadmixon said:
    It's going to take a few years and a lot of patience. We have the right coach to turn it around.. He needs and should be able to get the players to compete. This year is going to be tough! We don't have the athletes to compete this year. I agree the schedule will get a little more favorable. I feel good about coach Crean, his ability and approach to build a team. It will most likely be year three before he has enough talent to compete.

^^this! @Dadmixon Agree sir!

@Dadmixon said:

I'm not convinced we'll get there, hope, yes, faith is hard to muster after so many false starts though.

edited January 2019

I'm watching the game now. I'm reminded once again that we have good players and good kids who committed to play for us. I wish it was a better situation for them if nothing else.
    I probably wouldn't try to sell a kid on the program, I'd just say it's your future, choose wisely.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's a little sad honestly seeing what Crump is doing in a better system. Imagine how good of a scorer he could've been if he wasn't handcuffed.

Yeah its really perplexing, UGA is sitting on top of a Goldmine of local talent (Metro Atlanta) but cant get enough of the top players to compete in the SEC. " No son, u dont wanna go there, Georgia has 3 Mens sports: Fall Football, National Signing day Football and Spring Football. I dont care how good of a player u r, if u go there you'll b just another guy on campus."

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs holding a close lead, entertaining ball game. Limit the turnovers !

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, Texas must be really bad.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A much needed win today, shot the ball much better.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I'm watching the game now. I'm reminded once again that we have good players and good kids who committed to play for us. I wish it was a better situation for them if nothing else.
    I probably wouldn't try to sell a kid on the program, I'd just say it's your future, choose wisely.

we saw the future today. now let Crean choose which players he wants to run this system. we'll have a tournament team when this happens.